PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    The hat calculator site looks interesting..presume it's knitted on a circular needle.

Wondering how I will measure round Mr Twit's head without him wondering if i have lost the plot completely..
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    The hat calculator site looks interesting..presume it's knitted on a circular needle.

Wondering how I will measure round Mr Twit's head without him wondering if i have lost the plot completely..

Yes, think it's using a circular needle as you're knitting in rounds. A lot of the American patterns I've seen knit in the round...never tried it myself, so it'll be a new experience.

You could always wait until Mr Twit is asleep...!
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Or you could just measure up for 'something else' and get carried away measuring and measure his hands.. then his nose.. then his head etc.. or is it just me that does wierd things like that?
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • yoshimi2306
    Options
    OOh I just wanted to say I'm so glad I found this thread, this is my first day as a debt free wannabe, and one of my biggest sins is my 50 a day knitting habit! I can easily spend £60 on yarn without noticing, so I'd be really grateful of some help from fellow knitters on this :)
    Light Bulb Moment 05/10/2007,Starting debt £15900:eek:,Snowball estimate 07/2010, aiming for 12/2009, with £7000 savings:rotfl:
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Or you could just measure up for 'something else' and get carried away measuring and measure his hands.. then his nose.. then his head etc.. or is it just me that does wierd things like that?

If i started measuring him, he would start demanding a food taster, convinced that I was trying to do him in and measuring him for a coffin....:rotfl:

Hmmmm......now that gives me an idea...

Yoshimi....DON'T DO IT.....does that help?....welcome anyway.

Have a look on ebay for wool, often bargains on there.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Littlebean_2
    Options
    Thanks for those sites Peem - will definately take a look. Sewing up my sweater seems to be going OK. I just have the sleeves to set in so I think I'll leave it until tomorrow when I have more patience.

For my next project I found this great pattern, for a really unusual design called 'Snow White' knitted in the round - so no nasty making up to do at the end.

http://ysolda.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2

That's the theory anyway. Now that I've downloaded the pattern though I'm wondering if I've been a bit ambitous (?sp). Still, in for a penny.... I thought socks would be complicated knitted in the round but so far they seem to be going OK.
  • dellboy102
    Options
    Any idea where I can buy cheap thread from, mums brought a new machine and wants an assortment of thread but no idea where would be the best place to buy from
  • kal25
    kal25 Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I would likie top start knitting, any ideas or tips where and how to start?. What's easiest to start off with? Would like to see if I could make something for xmas. I did do some when I was very young, talking over 20yrs ago now, so wouldn't have a clue where to start now. TIA kal25
    :smileyhea:heart: Mrs Lea Nov 5th '11 :heart::smileyhea
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    dellboy102 wrote: »
    Any idea where I can buy cheap thread from, mums brought a new machine and wants an assortment of thread but no idea where would be the best place to buy from

Do you have a fabric warehouse type of place near where you live?

My own favourite is Abakhan Fabrics but they only have stores around North Wales and North-west. In the Liverpool store (at least) they sell remnants by the kilo - hence it's nickname 'El Kilos'! I don't think I've bought a length of fabric 'off the roll' for y-e-a-r-s - everything I buy comes from the bargain bins - including a 6 metre length of navy blue suiting for my work uniform (some remnant eh?)!

They have some great bargains on wools/yarns as well - just stocked up on wool for baby stuff for DD and the 'soon-to-be DGD2'.

This is the link to their website and their branches:

http://www.abakhan.co.uk/branch_location.asp
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    If you have any spare red wool, you can knit a square for the Children's Society's Big Stitch.

DD is learning to knit by making a square.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport