PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Saturday Brunch ideas?

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to suggest that. On wholemeal toast, and with orange juice & coffee, its my usual "breakfast to impress", if you know what I mean.

Home made bread, home made butter, and I'm pretty sure the eggs were organic
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Home made bread, home made butter, and I'm pretty sure the eggs were organic

OK, I know when I'm beaten. Home made butter is very impressive.

However, the eggs are from a local farm shop and are so free range, that they sometimes have to shoo a chicken out of the shop and you have to be careful not to reverse over them when driving around the farmyard!
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • NemoToad
    NemoToad Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should check that the vegetarians will eat fish as they may well not...
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, I know when I'm beaten. Home made butter is very impressive.

Actually - making your own butter is easier than you might think. Cheap too if you buy cream that's cheap because it's close to it's use by date (and older cream is better for the job).

There's a thread around the place somewhere...

I'll see if I can find it. Watch this space...

Making my own butter! (merged)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely home made bread or rolls with scrambled eggs and salmon! I'm a convert :D who btw didn't used to eat ANY fish :)
    Either that or a low fat cream cheese on bagels with salmon?
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • maggie111
    maggie111 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a little stuck for ideas, so if you could help suggest ideas I'd really appreciate it!!

It's my first Christmas in my new house and my inlaws (MIL, FIL and BIL) are arriving from a long journey at about 10am. I would have thought they might be peckish when they arrive?

We're all going to my parents house for Christmas lunch at 3pm.

I would like to have something for when they arrive, but don't want them to be eating too much because we all know Christmas lunch is what it's all about!! However, my normal Christmas morning breakfast of a specially picked breakfast cereal (something extra extra sugary!) and selection box chocolates I don't think will cut it!!

I like to think of myself as a bit of a hostess so I'd like to do something a bit special, but obviously not too time consuming or stressful.

On top of that I don't have a traditional oven, (but I can bake the day before at a relative's house) and my FIL is one picky so and so. Am happy to have a variety of foods.... But I am just completely stuck!!

What would you want??
    I love surprises!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 November 2009 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Hi maggie,

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is something I enjoy for brunch and it always feels a bit special so would be good for Christmas day. Serve it with melba toast, a wedge of lemon and sprinkled with fresh parsley and have fresh orange juice to drink (or bucks fizz for a treat).

It's our usual Christmas breakfast because the oven is in use so only requires the hob to cook the eggs and I make the melba toast the day before.

I love this website which has lots of ideas that may give you some inspiration:

breakfastandbrunch

Pink
  • skintmumof3
    Options
    how about some cold sliced gammon served with some yummy buttered posh seed type loaf of bread with a small dollop of whole grain mustard on the side
    accompanied by some fancy coffee...

yummmmmm
    would they have eaten brekky before leaving??? if so they won`t want a big brunch as they will be having a huge roast.

hth
    skint
  • maggie111
    maggie111 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much! Excellent suggestions :)

Will probably use both.. Keep them coming! :D
    I love surprises!
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with the salmon and egg brigade, but dips/spreads with some savoury cheese straws etc. would also be good. Anything cut small enough counts as canapes, and if you did a big jug of orange juice and sparkling wine you've got yourself a pre-lunch cocktail party.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure