PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Saturday Brunch ideas?

Options

Comments

• JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have friends staying over tomorrow night and I wanted to make brunch on Sunday morning. They don't eat meat and one is very health concious.

I was thinking of making
    • Scrambled eggs
    • Baked tomatoes
    • Sauteed mushrooms
    • A wholemeal seeded loaf in the breadmaker
    • Maybe a plate of smoked salmon with lemon wedges (extravagant but I suppose one small pack costs the same as sausages and bacon).
    Has anybody got any alternative ideas of what to make? I've seen some recipes for things like frittata and muffins, which I can't be bothered making
  • Jammygal
    Jammygal Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent menu......what about some fruit as well......such as grapefruit, pineapple or melon....perhaps a large piece of fruit that can be cut up and that is best shared between a few;)
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I'd ditch the salmon and go with the others, add in some sauteed potatoes and lashings of hot tea.

Make the food with frylite and not oil, and it is pretty much as healthy as you can get.

Add the fruit as suggested and they can't really complain.

Good grief, i might have to make that lot myself on Sunday - what a great idea! Just need eggs...
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can I come too? SOunds great! I'm not too sure about fish for breakfast, although my ds and dh have kippers at the weekend sometimes.

Muffins aren't too much bother if you leave the wet in the fridge and the dry ready to go, the evening before.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd never considered fish for breakfast (or brunch) before either.

Until the day a friend dished up scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast.

Wow! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    OH normally does a bubble & squeak which is delish with a fried egg and baked beans.

What about an omellette(sp) or fritata (sp)

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    I'd never considered fish for breakfast (or brunch) before either.

Until the day a friend dished up scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast.

Wow! :)

I was going to suggest that. On wholemeal toast, and with orange juice & coffee, its my usual "breakfast to impress", if you know what I mean.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love kippers!!! Unfortunately I think they are an acquired taste so I'd be worried about serving them. Also, the smell hangs around forever.

Zazen999I was actually going to bake the tomatoes in the oven so its no oil whatsoever

Jammygal- Good call on the fruit. I'll get a melon or pineapple or whatever is cheapest in the supermarket.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    If there are any children in the party, it is nice to have a little stack of pancakes somewhere among the brunch foods. It is fine if they are cold, and made the day before - can be eaten with fruit, jam, honey etc to balance out the savouries. The grown-ups love them too!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • deebee
    deebee Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    you couldsplash out and buy some veggie sausages - they are really tasty - the Linda McCartney ones were on offer at Tesco for 80p a pack, not sure if it's still on though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure