Dreams bed Superstore??? Complaints?

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Can you link me that bit of the marketing being aimed at lower intelligence, I am interested in that type of thing.

Almost all advertising that is trying to convince people thet they are going to get a better deal than they really are is aimed more towards people who aren't going to question or realise that they aren't getting as good a deal as the advert makes out. I don't want this to sound insulting to people, but it is a fact.
    At the end of the day customers would not buy from these large companies if the service they were getting was crap.

I have covered this previously. Most people don't buy beds very often. So it's not like they have to aim to get regular repeat customers. They rely on their advertising, and the fact that they are a big name that people automatically think of when they have to make a bed purchse.
    I can say the vast majority of customers are satisfied because they would not be in business if the majority of customers were unsatisfied.

There are many companies who give bad service, but are still in business. As I said, they aren't relying on reputation, they are relying on people seeing their adverts, and not knowing about their bad service. It's the same as companies like Citroen. Their vehicles are som of the most unreliable on the road, their after sales service is crap, but most people are ignorant of this. They just see all the adverts, and are convinced enough to buy from them.
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Almost all advertising that is trying to convince people thet they are going to get a better deal than they really are is aimed more towards people who aren't going to question or realise that they aren't getting as good a deal as the advert makes out. I don't want this to sound insulting to people, but it is a fact.

So let me see some proof on it, adverts are there to psychologically enhance a sale and they use customer perception to do this, it is no differant to having items priced at 7.99 as in the sub conscious this seems alot cheaper to something prices at £8.00. I'm not sure they specifically aim for the thicker people but they aim for markets that are suitable for them depending on the products.

I have covered this previously. Most people don't buy beds very often. So it's not like they have to aim to get regular repeat customers. They rely on their advertising, and the fact that they are a big name that people automatically think of when they have to make a bed purchse.

No but the word of mouth that is created from so many bad sales would be enough to dig a grave for a company

There are many companies who give bad service, but are still in business. As I said, they aren't relying on reputation, they are relying on people seeing their adverts, and not knowing about their bad service. It's the same as companies like Citroen. Their vehicles are som of the most unreliable on the road, their after sales service is crap, but most people are ignorant of this. They just see all the adverts, and are convinced enough to buy from them.

Advertising is very powerful and I wouldn't deny it but I just don't think you are giving enough credability to companies that do do a good job, may not be the best but it still is doing a good job in the scheme of things.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Tim_Deegan
    edited 4 August 2010 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Advertising is very powerful and I wouldn't deny it but I just don't think you are giving enough credability to companies that do do a good job, may not be the best but it still is doing a good job in the scheme of things.

If you think doing a good job is ripping consumers off in order to make profits, then you can think that way, that is up to you. However for all those people who expect honesty, good value, and good customer service then they wouldn't agree.

Why don't you go and do a course on advertising and marketing, and you will realise that advertising is designed not just to make people aware, but to brain wash them into believing that they are getting the best deal by buying from that retailer. So it is common sense to realise that people of lower inteligence would be more easily convinced.

Yes you are right, pricing at £7.99 does appear cheaper than £8, but that again is advertising, and convincing people that they are getting a better deal.

As I have said over and over again, people don't buy beds very often, so word of mouth is only a very small issue to a large bed company who are more interested in profits than customer service.

Now we have been over the same ground over and over again. You obviously believe that good companies rip people off, I don't.

At the end of the day this is MSE, and buying from a company like Dreams is not MSE at all.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    If you think doing a good job is ripping consumers off in order to make profits, then you can think that way, that is up to you. However for all those people who expect honesty, good value, and good customer service then they wouldn't agree.

No, I think a good job is a company selling their product at a price that the customer is happy with, if the customer is not happy with the price then they will not purchase the product regardless of the advertising.

Why don't you go and do a course on advertising and marketing, and you will realise that advertising is designed not just to make people aware, but to brain wash them into believing that they are getting the best deal by buying from that retailer. So it is common sense to realise that people of lower inteligence would be more easily convinced.

I already have done a course in marketing thanks but I was wondering where your claims were coming from and as you can't show me a link to back this up it makes me question the validity of your claims in terms of proof, it maybe your opinion but that is not proof and ultimately what you are saying is that all these people that buy from the brand leaders are thick.....what happens if your company becomes brand leaders and you advertise, are your customers not thick as well then?

It could be argued that say advertising for new cars is a prime example of why your theory is flawed, these new cars can only be purchased by people who are affluent and on average (yes there are exceptions) it could be argued that the more intelligent you are the more money you earn so if they advertise with the underlying reason of attracting thick people then the advertising would have no affect as the people that can buy these cars are by their earning power not thick.

Companies advertise for brand recognition and create the view that their products are value for money so that when someone has the intention of buying a product their brand is brought back to the font of the mind to consideration.

Yes you are right, pricing at £7.99 does appear cheaper than £8, but that again is advertising, and convincing people that they are getting a better deal.

It's marketing, not advertising.

As I have said over and over again, people don't buy beds very often, so word of mouth is only a very small issue to a large bed company who are more interested in profits than customer service.

Now we have been over the same ground over and over again. You obviously believe that good companies rip people off, I don't.

Just because I disagree with your view stop putting words into my mouth, what I was saying is that a leading company in an industry does not get to where it has by poor customer service and good advertising and just because it may not provide the service you do it does not mean it is bad.

At the end of the day this is MSE, and buying from a company like Dreams is not MSE at all.

The point of MSE is getting the most value for their money not neccessarily the cheapest, if this for most customers is purchasing of a brand leader for them then so be it.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

• Tim_Deegan
    Options

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan viewpost.gif

No, I think a good job is a company selling their product at a price that the customer is happy with, if the customer is not happy with the price then they will not purchase the product regardless of the advertising.

I already have done a course in marketing thanks but I was wondering where your claims were coming from and as you can't show me a link to back this up it makes me question the validity of your claims in terms of proof, it maybe your opinion but that is not proof and ultimately what you are saying is that all these people that buy from the brand leaders are thick.....what happens if your company becomes brand leaders and you advertise, are your customers not thick as well then?

It could be argued that say advertising for new cars is a prime example of why your theory is flawed, these new cars can only be purchased by people who are affluent and on average (yes there are exceptions) it could be argued that the more intelligent you are the more money you earn so if they advertise with the underlying reason of attracting thick people then the advertising would have no affect as the people that can buy these cars are by their earning power not thick.

Companies advertise for brand recognition and create the view that their products are value for money so that when someone has the intention of buying a product their brand is brought back to the font of the mind to consideration.

Just because I disagree with your view stop putting words into my mouth, what I was saying is that a leading company in an industry does not get to where it has by poor customer service and good advertising and just because it may not provide the service you do it does not mean it is bad.

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan viewpost.gif

If a company is conning people into thinking that they are getting a good deal, then they will be happy with the price........until they find out they have been conned. It doesn't make them a good company.

You should ask for your money back then.

Why would I need to post a link???? It's a well known fact for anyone who knows anything about marketing. And is in fact common sense.

So you are saying that only inteligent people buy new cars then are you??? Yet another rediculous statement.

Yes, you have just repeated what I said. However that isn't the only tactic used in advertising is it?

If you publish those prices then it is advertising..........advertising is marketing.

But history has shown that many companies can be a success by clever advertising, even though they give bad service. For every person who is told 'don't buy from the, they are a rip off, there are probably 1000's who don't know any better.

The point of MSE is getting the most value for their money not neccessarily the cheapest, if this for most customers is purchasing of a brand leader for them then so be it.[/QUOTE]

Good value for money is not getting the brand leader. It is getting a good product at a good price. Something you don't get with Dreams.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    So what trade are you in?
  • Googlewhacker
    edited 4 August 2010 at 6:13PM
    Options
    The car example was to show that not all marketing is aimed to grasp in thick people as you keep on saying it is.

I think it is a realistic view to state that people who can afford the newer cars are on the whole more intelligent than people who cannot afford to buy £20-£30k cars because it is more likely that they have better jobs that they have attained from their better intelligence which pay more (and as I keep saying there are always exceptions to the rule but on the whole).

Surely you cannot say that if we were to take the IQ of everyone that bought a new car that it would be the same as the national average, I believe that it would be higher than the national average based on my above arguement.

Which in turns shows that not all advertising is there only to entice thick people as you would have us believe.

The displaying of a price is yes advertising but the changing of the figure from £8.00 to £7.99 is marketing.

I trust you don't buy from any brand/market leaders then, do you shop at any of the supermarkets or are you not thick enough? ;)

• Tim_Deegan
    Options
    The car example was to show that not all marketing is aimed to grasp in thick people as you keep on saying it is.

I didn't say thick people, you did. It is aimed at people who, lets say aren't of the highest IQ, and who are less likely to work out that it is just sales hype.

Now think about it. Would you aim an advertising campaign at members of mensa, when you were trying to convince them that they would get a better deal than they really were??????........exactly. This is why advertisers like to aim this type of advertising at people who are less likely to work out the truth from the hype.
    I think it is a realistic view to state that people who can afford the newer cars are on the whole more intelligent than people who cannot afford to buy £20-£30k cars because it is more likely that they have better jobs that they have attained from their better intelligence which pay more (and as I keep saying there are always exceptions to the rule but on the whole).

That is a very nieve view........how do you think we got into the credit crisis that this county is in???????? It's because people were given credit to buy whatever they wanted, even though they couldn't really afford it on their income.

There are also many people on good incomes who do jobs that don't require inteligence.

Then you have to take into account young single people who don't have any commitments, and so like to buy new cars, and can afford to.

Then there are the people who use a car as a status symbol, and spend more on their car than anything else because they think it makes them look better.
    Surely you cannot say that if we were to take the IQ of everyone that bought a new car that it would be the same as the national average, I believe that it would be higher than the national average based on my above arguement.

See above.........it would most likely be around average.
    Which in turns shows that not all advertising is there only to entice thick people as you would have us believe.

Just because people may not have a high IQ doesn not make them thick (as you put it). The average IQ is 100, and being average or lower doesn't make you 'thick' to use you insulting term.
    The displaying of a price is yes advertising but the changing of the figure from £8.00 to £7.99 is marketing.

!!!!!!......and when you advertise it then it becomes advertising. It doesn't matter what you call it. It is all designed to convince people that they are getting a better deal than they are. Why can't you understand that? Or are you one of the people who advertisers love?
    I trust you don't buy from any brand/market leaders then, do you shop at any of the supermarkets or are you not thick enough? ;)

I'm not a big brand victim, no. I buy something because I make an educated decision based on what I like, and if it is good value. So sometimes I will shop in the big supermarkets for convenience, but I'd rather use independent shops.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    You still didn't say what you do for a living????
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    You still didn't say what you do for a living????

Because it is irrelivant.

Ok, change the word 'thick' to lower intelligence.

Also I did state exceptions in the car theory but you cannot deny more than likely that you will earn more money on average the higher your intelligence which inturn means you will be able to buy more expensive things and as such advertising will be aimed towards these people and not ones on 'lower intelligence.'

If this is not the case then what is the point of education!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport