Dreams bed Superstore??? Complaints?

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Because it is irrelivant.

No it's not irrelivant at all. You have said in another post that you run a business. So I think your customers would be interested to hear that you think a good company is one that rips people off.
    Ok, change the word 'thick' to lower intelligence.

Also I did state exceptions in the car theory but you cannot deny more than likely that you will earn more money on average the higher your intelligence which inturn means you will be able to buy more expensive things and as such advertising will be aimed towards these people and not ones on 'lower intelligence.'

If this is not the case then what is the point of education!

There are expensive cars, and there are cheaper cars. Peaople with higher incomes are more likely to buy cheaper cars, but this doesn't mean that they are of lower inteligence. For you to say that only inteligent people buy new cars is quite frankly ignorant.
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    No it's not irrelivant at all. You have said in another post that you run a business. So I think your customers would be interested to hear that you think a good company is one that rips people off.

Where have I said that? I have never as far as I know claimed to run a business and if I have it is not true.

Look stop saying that I would advocate companies ripping people off because that is not what I have said at all in any post.

There are expensive cars, and there are cheaper cars. Peaople with higher incomes are more likely to buy cheaper cars, but this doesn't mean that they are of lower inteligence. For you to say that only inteligent people buy new cars is quite frankly ignorant.

As you are not even trying to understand the arguement I am putting across (ie indirect comparison) I am not going to bother discussing this anymore as you cannot put your side across without insults or insinuations.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    As you are not even trying to understand the arguement I am putting across (ie indirect comparison) I am not going to bother discussing this anymore as you cannot put your side across without insults or insinuations.

If you are going to quote people on MSE, then at least do it properly.

You have said in another thread that you own a company.

You said right from the start that Dreams do a good job. We have been into detail about how they rip people off, and con them into thinking that they are getting a good deal. If you think that is a good way to run a company, then you do advocate companies ripping people off.

I fully understand your side of the argument, and that they are a successful business, but that doesn't make them a good business. Remember MFI used to use similar sales tactics, and they went bust.

The fact that you completely ignore all the moral issues makes me believe that you either have connections with Dreams (which would explain why you advocate their dirty sales tactics). Or you just came onto this thread to argue.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    If you are going to quote people on MSE, then at least do it properly.

You have said in another thread that you own a company.

You said right from the start that Dreams do a good job. We have been into detail about how they rip people off, and con them into thinking that they are getting a good deal. If you think that is a good way to run a company, then you do advocate companies ripping people off.

I fully understand your side of the argument, and that they are a successful business, but that doesn't make them a good business. Remember MFI used to use similar sales tactics, and they went bust.

The fact that you completely ignore all the moral issues makes me believe that you either have connections with Dreams (which would explain why you advocate their dirty sales tactics). Or you just came onto this thread to argue.

Sorry, how have I not quoted you properly? (I'm honestly asking because I cannot see how I have not)

I can't ever remember saying I own a business/company, if I have I was lieing (and if I did I apologise but I on't think I did) but I can't remember ever saying I run a company....I have said many a time words along the line of 'If I ran a company....'

You have gone into detail why you believe they have ripped people off but I still maintain that if a company are making the vast majority of customers happy and maintaining this then this is good business. If they are as you say ripping peple off then it will catch them up and as MFI etc they will go pop if customer satisfaction goes down.

I am actually very moralistic as a person and the business I work in have moralistic values but we also look at increasing our margin whilst maintaining our revenue on a daily basis because at the end of the day we are there to make money, keep people employed and expand responsibly.

But if we are talking morales as you work(or own) for an online store presumably (and I stand to be corrected) some of your products have an RRP so is it moralistic if you have a lower price than companies that have stores that get used to be viewing forums for customers and that have extra costs involved in the business and as such are causing businesses to go bust because they cannot reduce their margin and make a profit?

The answer is probably no but this is business and it has to be done for you to have a USP and for you to succeed and no one would deny that opportunity.

No I do not work for Dreams and Yes I like discussions.

Let's just agree to disagree on the matter without insulting each other.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

• Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Sorry, how have I not quoted you properly? (I'm honestly asking because I cannot see how I have not)

I can't ever remember saying I own a business/company, if I have I was lieing (and if I did I apologise but I on't think I did) but I can't remember ever saying I run a company....I have said many a time words along the line of 'If I ran a company....'

You have gone into detail why you believe they have ripped people off but I still maintain that if a company are making the vast majority of customers happy and maintaining this then this is good business. If they are as you say ripping peple off then it will catch them up and as MFI etc they will go pop if customer satisfaction goes down.

I am actually very moralistic as a person and the business I work in have moralistic values but we also look at increasing our margin whilst maintaining our revenue on a daily basis because at the end of the day we are there to make money, keep people employed and expand responsibly.

But if we are talking morales as you work(or own) for an online store presumably (and I stand to be corrected) some of your products have an RRP so is it moralistic if you have a lower price than companies that have stores that get used to be viewing forums for customers and that have extra costs involved in the business and as such are causing businesses to go bust because they cannot reduce their margin and make a profit?

The answer is probably no but this is business and it has to be done for you to have a USP and for you to succeed and no one would deny that opportunity.

No I do not work for Dreams and Yes I like discussions.

Let's just agree to disagree on the matter without insulting each other.

So if your employer has such moralistic views, then why won't you even reveal what sector you work in??

For your information I don't actually publish the RRP's, because there is such a huge gap between them and the prices that as an on line company I can sell for. So people wouldn't believe me anyway. I could do what Dreams do and make up the RRP's but I don't. I sell at far lower prices than many shops because I don't think it is right to put a 400 to 500% mark up on goods as many bed shops do. I do have morals. I don't make excuses about keeping people employed. My morals are about telling people the truth, and giving them what they need within their budget.

The whole reason I started coming on MSE was to tell people the truth about the sales hype and gimmicks employed in the bed industry. And to correct the lies that many greedy sales reps tell people in order to get a sale. This is why I don't appreciate when people try to defend the gimmicks, hype, dirty sales tactics, and sometimes outright lies that are often used by sales staff in some of the biggest retail chains in the country.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    The whole reason I started coming on MSE was to tell people the truth about the sales hype and gimmicks employed in the bed industry. And to correct the lies that many greedy sales reps tell people in order to get a sale. This is why I don't appreciate when people try to defend the gimmicks, hype, dirty sales tactics, and sometimes outright lies that are often used by sales staff in some of the biggest retail chains in the country.

I take your point about the moralistic views but there is a differance between lieing (which I disagree with and believe is immoral) and marketing techniques (which is a long discussion and yes some are immoral and again I would disagree with and some are not immoral which obviously might not be to your likeing but I agree with.............but I am not going to go into each one.)

I think this discussion has run it's course

• Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I take your point about the moralistic views but there is a differance between lieing (which I disagree with and believe is immoral) and marketing techniques (which is a long discussion and yes some are immoral and again I would disagree with and some are not immoral which obviously might not be to your likeing but I agree with.............but I am not going to go into each one.)

I think this discussion has run it's course

I'm ny opinion, doing anything that is designed to deceive customers is immoral.

It has been forgotten buy marketing companies that the truth is the best policy. If you have nothing to hide and you tell people the truth, then you will earn the respect of consumers, and they will return over and over again because they trust you. And they will bring their friends with them.
  • Derby-Girl
    Options
    It has been forgotten buy marketing companies that the truth is the best policy. If you have nothing to hide and you tell people the truth, then you will earn the respect of consumers, and they will return over and over again because they trust you. And they will bring their friends with them.

I work in marketing and I have to disagree with that comment. While (especially as a young woman) I don't argue that advertising and marketing has been responsible for skewed views and techniques in the past, there is actually a move in marketing right now towards honesty and transparency. In my opinion this is largely down to the internet and social media.

I don't claim these companies are perfect but look at these case studies:

Dell - responded to negative blogger comments (Google: Dell Hell) by launching new channels for customer service such as comprehensive Twitter accounts, company blogs, online reviews & CRM etc.

Dove - this is a while ago now, and yes the company is owned by the same people who own Axe (similar to Lynx body spray) but a few years ago they ran the "campaign for real beauty" aimed at showing women and young girls the amount of retouching and lighting/makeup etc. that goes into photographs of models

Ford - their CEO blogs and talks to his audience about new developments, problems and so on in order to find out what they want and give a human face to the company

Pampers - run a successful branded community for mothers. They provide resources, information and an online space for mothers to meet and talk.

I 100% agree with the statement "truth is the best policy. If you have nothing to hide and you tell people the truth, then you will earn the respect of consumers, and they will return over and over again because they trust you. And they will bring their friends with them".

However, I think it is unfair to paint every big company as evil and deceitful, many of them are working hard and investing in ways to change the way they market.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    Derby-Girl wrote: »
    However, I think it is unfair to paint every big company as evil and deceitful, many of them are working hard and investing in ways to change the way they market.

I think if I had said that right from the beginning the long discussion I had with Tim woul have been avoided lol!

• Derby-Girl
    Options
    I think if I had said that right from the beginning the long discussion I had with Tim woul have been avoided lol!

Well, where's the fun in that?! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport