🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dreams bed Superstore??? Complaints?

Options

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    And to clear things up

I hold my hands up if Dreams have tactics that immoral because it is not something I would condone.

:D
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Derby-Girl wrote: »
    I work in marketing and I have to disagree with that comment. While (especially as a young woman) I don't argue that advertising and marketing has been responsible for skewed views and techniques in the past, there is actually a move in marketing right now towards honesty and transparency. In my opinion this is largely down to the internet and social media.

I don't claim these companies are perfect but look at these case studies:

Dell - responded to negative blogger comments (Google: Dell Hell) by launching new channels for customer service such as comprehensive Twitter accounts, company blogs, online reviews & CRM etc.

Dove - this is a while ago now, and yes the company is owned by the same people who own Axe (similar to Lynx body spray) but a few years ago they ran the "campaign for real beauty" aimed at showing women and young girls the amount of retouching and lighting/makeup etc. that goes into photographs of models

Ford - their CEO blogs and talks to his audience about new developments, problems and so on in order to find out what they want and give a human face to the company

Pampers - run a successful branded community for mothers. They provide resources, information and an online space for mothers to meet and talk.

I 100% agree with the statement "truth is the best policy. If you have nothing to hide and you tell people the truth, then you will earn the respect of consumers, and they will return over and over again because they trust you. And they will bring their friends with them".

However, I think it is unfair to paint every big company as evil and deceitful, many of them are working hard and investing in ways to change the way they market.

You have only mentioned a very small minority of companies who are now starting to realise that they have to listen to their customers. You may disagree in relation to the few companies you mention, but the fact is that many large retailers still use underhand and misleading sales tactics.
  • Derby-Girl
    Derby-Girl Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2010 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    You have only mentioned a very small minority of companies who are now starting to realise that they have to listen to their customers. You may disagree in relation to the few companies you mention, but the fact is that many large retailers still use underhand and misleading sales tactics.

I don't think I ever claimed that most retailers were employing this marketing model. You were having a conversation about marketing and this is simply where many marketers see the future.

Additionally I disagreed with your opinion that the marketing industry has "forgotten...that the truth is the best policy" and pointed out that modern online marketing is actually based on the premise that "if you have nothing to hide and you tell people the truth, then you will earn the respect of consumers, and they will return over and over again because they trust you. And they will bring their friends with them."
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I don't think I ever claimed that most retailers were employing this marketing model. You were having a conversation about marketing and this is simply where many marketers see the future.

Maybe some see the future as you say, and this may be the case in the company you work for. However there are many who don't see it that way (unfortunately). It seems that your employer is a forward thinking company.
    Additionally I disagreed with your opinion that the marketing industry has "forgotten...that the truth is the best policy" and pointed out that modern online marketing is actually based on the premise that "if you have nothing to hide and you tell people the truth, then you will earn the respect of consumers, and they will return over and over again because they trust you. And they will bring their friends with them."

What part of the statement do you disagree with?
  • Widow57
    Options
    Avoid them at all costs. Their customer services department is appaling. I ordered some furniture through them, and I am having problems with it. Reported it by phone to their customer services department at the begining of June, and the supplier was informed 9 weeks later!!!!! So, nothing has happened about replacement.
    Still, never mind about looking after your clients, let's sponsor all the dramas on ITV instead!
  • johnbusby
    johnbusby Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I just bought abed from dreams and am now worried that I was ripped off! I am still in the 24 hour cancellation period so do have that option! Can anyone tell me where I can get this bed cheaper although I do need it delivered in about 2 weeks. Unfortunatley I can't post links but it is the solar range, we paid 580 for a double

Thanks

John
  • johnbusby
    Options
    bit of an update which im sure everyone wont like but may help some people in a similar situation. After looking around I decided to phone up dreams and cancel to which I was told that because my order was over 500 a senior sales rep would have to deal with cancellation. Got a phone call this afternoon and was immediatly offered 20% off (nearly 200) to which I declined and asked for free delivery as well. He said he had to run it past his superiors but in the end can back and said he could do it. I know the company isnt the best but at least I feel a bit better knowing that im getting a fairer price, tbh I would have still cancelled only the other half wanted to stick with the beds we had instead of get ones that we hadnt tried. Hopefully this can someone!
  • uk_messer
    uk_messer Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    johnbusby wrote: »
    bit of an update which im sure everyone wont like but may help some people in a similar situation. After looking around I decided to phone up dreams and cancel to which I was told that because my order was over 500 a senior sales rep would have to deal with cancellation. Got a phone call this afternoon and was immediatly offered 20% off (nearly 200) to which I declined and asked for free delivery as well. He said he had to run it past his superiors but in the end can back and said he could do it. I know the company isnt the best but at least I feel a bit better knowing that im getting a fairer price, tbh I would have still cancelled only the other half wanted to stick with the beds we had instead of get ones that we hadnt tried. Hopefully this can someone!

If they can knock that much off the price you can imagine how much of a mark up they are making.

Had to run it past his superiors? That old classic.:D Good thing you read this thread - saved you a few quid!
  • johnbusby
    Options
    Agreed About the Mark up on their beds but at least I'm fairly happy that I got a decent deal now although probably still not great. We also got a couple of free 10 year guarantees and a mattress protector so I think I got as much out of them as was possible! Saving of 202 cash plus the guarantees and mattress protected so thanks to everyone on the thread - now I just got to hope they turn up on time
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    johnbusby wrote: »
    Agreed About the Mark up on their beds but at least I'm fairly happy that I got a decent deal now although probably still not great. We also got a couple of free 10 year guarantees and a mattress protector so I think I got as much out of them as was possible! Saving of 202 cash plus the guarantees and mattress protected so thanks to everyone on the thread - now I just got to hope they turn up on time

Well done for knocking them down. They don't like doing it, but they can afford it when they have mark ups of between 400 and 500%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport