We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dreams bed Superstore??? Complaints?

Options

Comments

• HugoRune_2
    HugoRune_2 Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    Options
    Any place that has constant half price sales is not to be trusted, as the sales go on all the time its clearly not half price, just normally twice the price, hence an attempt to either rip off the customer or con them into thinking they have a bargain.
    I looked at their beds in their sale, then checked on ebay, got one that looked just the same as the dreams one, for half their half, a quarter of normal price!
    Nothing wrong with the ebay one, probably same manufacturer that the large stores use.
    Aha, so thats how you do a signature!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    HugoRune wrote: »
    Any place that has constant half price sales is not to be trusted, as the sales go on all the time its clearly not half price, just normally twice the price, hence an attempt to either rip off the customer or con them into thinking they have a bargain.
    I looked at their beds in their sale, then checked on ebay, got one that looked just the same as the dreams one, for half their half, a quarter of normal price!
    Nothing wrong with the ebay one, probably same manufacturer that the large stores use.

Also their price guarantee......try and find the same model anywhere else and you can't. So they bump up the supposed RRP, and then charge what they want, which is why even their so called sale prices are expensive.
  • geen
    geen Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    geen wrote: »

We bought the Mozart super king divan set from Dreams, which cost us a LOT of money. We ordered the next to softest bed, but when we got it it was hard as a rock. They sent an 3rd party agency to look into our claims, and the guy agreed with us that the bed is probably mislabeled. He gave us a report saying so, but Dreams says that THEIR report says there is no manufacturers fault! Only I can't see their report, because it is confidential. Oh, I can pay them £10 to order a copy of it, but by the time I get it the Dreams Comfort Guarantee will be expired, since you only have 10 days to take advantage of it. (The Dreams Comfort Guarantee can only be used after 30 days and 40 days). So we have to try the comfort guarantee, although I'm sure they will try to wriggle out of it. I will update here to say if they have honored it or not.

An update on this, We went into the local Dreams store where we ordered the bed. The sales reps were wonderful, and they agreed to intervene and speak to customer service for us. I believe that they are unaware of the lengths that customer service go to in order to avoid fulfilling their obligations. They seemed genuinely confused when they read our report from Fira saying that there is reasonable doubt as to the bed being labeled correctly. The sales reps dealt with customer service, and they ordered another bed under the guarantee. I was at the point I just wanted my money back. The reason is completely down to customer service. Customer service could learn a valuable lesson that if they treat people fairly, people will be a lot more receptive and have more patience. When people feel they are being cheated, they get angry, especially when they have spent a lot of money. Luckily for me the sales reps came through for us.

I spoke to the manufacturer of our bed, and they agreed there was probably a problem with our bed, and that when there is a re-order it is checked, double checked and triple checked. I'm crossing my fingers that the replacement will be better.

So another note to the person that has been a dreams rep for 5 years and "had to laugh" at all the complaints.....instead of having a laugh at the misfortune and misery of others, maybe you should find out why customer service in your company jerks people around. I'm sure you are a great sales rep and provide a great service to your customers just like the sales reps at my local store. There is a big problem with your customer service, though. You are in a position to do something about it.
  • felrosie
    Options
    My wife and I recently purchased an orthopedic single size mattress from Dreams.
    The date of delivery was critical as we had an elderly relative coming to stay with us for a few weeks. We were promised that the mattress was in stock and it would be delivered on Monday 19th. April 2010.
    I stayed at home on the day and no delivery! I 'phoned the brach that the order was placed at to be told that the delivery was scheduled for the 26th. April 2010 a week later than when we needed it and when we had been told it would be delivered.
    I then said that I was going to cancel the order as I needed the mattress that day. I asked for the return of the £432.00 that I had paid to be told that I would have to speak to Customer Services. I 'phoned Dream's Customer services (I thought BT Customer Services were useless, but I now realise that BT Customer Services are a shining beacon compared to Dreams Customer Services!) to request a refund of £432.00 due to the non delivery of the matress. I was told I couldn't have a refund and If I wanted to cancel the order I would have to pay £86.00!!
    I do not understand why I should have to pay £86.00 to cancel an order when it was the lies told to me by Dreams staff that was responsible for the order being cancelled.
    They simple said they couldn't help me and hung up.

Please learn from my loss - DO NOT BUY FROM DREAMS
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    felrosie wrote: »
    My wife and I recently purchased an orthopedic single size mattress from Dreams.
    The date of delivery was critical as we had an elderly relative coming to stay with us for a few weeks. We were promised that the mattress was in stock and it would be delivered on Monday 19th. April 2010.
    I stayed at home on the day and no delivery! I 'phoned the brach that the order was placed at to be told that the delivery was scheduled for the 26th. April 2010 a week later than when we needed it and when we had been told it would be delivered.
    I then said that I was going to cancel the order as I needed the mattress that day. I asked for the return of the £432.00 that I had paid to be told that I would have to speak to Customer Services. I 'phoned Dream's Customer services (I thought BT Customer Services were useless, but I now realise that BT Customer Services are a shining beacon compared to Dreams Customer Services!) to request a refund of £432.00 due to the non delivery of the matress. I was told I couldn't have a refund and If I wanted to cancel the order I would have to pay £86.00!!
    I do not understand why I should have to pay £86.00 to cancel an order when it was the lies told to me by Dreams staff that was responsible for the order being cancelled.
    They simple said they couldn't help me and hung up.

Please learn from my loss - DO NOT BUY FROM DREAMS

Go straight to Trading Standards.

I can't believe you paid £432 for a single mattress for a guest bed :eek:
  • corradoboy
    Options
    We visited our local Dreams last week. We eventually narrowed down the choices to a king size £1150 Sleepeezee 'Cairo' mattress which is (according to their sales bumpf) 2000 pocket sprung, extra firm (orthopaedic) with wool and cashmere for the discounted price of £950. The sales person immediately offered a further discount to £850, then waffled on about their £40 ten year guarantee and £35 delivery charge, taking the price back up to near its previous level.

After getting home I did some Googling and found that they use their buying power to get manufacturers to rebrand existing products, then elevate the prices safe in the knowledge that you won't find it any cheaper elsewhere, simply because it doesn't exist as that anywhere else.

The mattress we were looking at is apparently identical to the Sleepeezee Ultimate Backcare 2000, which is specified as 'orthopaedic', 2000 pocket sprung, wool and cashmere padding (all sounds familiar), and with (here comes the tenuous link) 'Cairo' fabric. I found this online with free delivery and Quidco making it £370 all-in, meaning a saving of some £580 over the initial ticket price.

Do your research folks, it's easy to get stung.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is what I posted on another thread:-

Ventured into Dreams bed shop the other day, looking for a children's bed. They are having a 'sale' on the kids beds with around 25% off. I liked the Kansas bed, which was on sale for £275. There was an A4 information sheet stuck to the bed, with a pic, some details of the bed, and the sale price, and 'after event' price. The after event price was £379 for this particular bed.

Looking around, I came across a lectern, which had all the information sheets in a booklet, including beds that weren't on display. I came across the Kansas bed, and the price, which made no mention of a sale price was £269. They hadn't updated the sheets on the lectern, and it showed that for that bed, and all the others in the sale, the sale price was actually more expensive than before the 'sale' was taking place.

We asked a salesman and he agreed that it looked like the company had put the prices up for the sale. :mad:

I know the rules have changed about sales goods, that it isn't a set amount of time they have had to have been sold for, just a 'reasonable' amount of time. But can Dreams say an item is in a sale if it's never been sold for that 'after event' price?
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • fullsy
    fullsy Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I am so glad to have found this thread. I purchased a bed from DREAMS BEDS 3 years ago and have had nothing but problems. Within 6 months the memory foam mattrress developed 2 dips rather like holes, where myself and wife slept. We called DREAMS and they sent out an assessor whom said to my wife it was wear and tear.......WEAR AND TEAR????? 6 months old? 2 years on and it is more like sleeping in a trench and a new bed is needed.

Is there anyway I can complain further and have the bed re assessed or am i stuffed and have to buy a new bed?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    corradoboy wrote: »
    We visited our local Dreams last week. We eventually narrowed down the choices to a king size £1150 Sleepeezee 'Cairo' mattress which is (according to their sales bumpf) 2000 pocket sprung, extra firm (orthopaedic) with wool and cashmere for the discounted price of £950. The sales person immediately offered a further discount to £850, then waffled on about their £40 ten year guarantee and £35 delivery charge, taking the price back up to near its previous level.

After getting home I did some Googling and found that they use their buying power to get manufacturers to rebrand existing products, then elevate the prices safe in the knowledge that you won't find it any cheaper elsewhere, simply because it doesn't exist as that anywhere else.

The mattress we were looking at is apparently identical to the Sleepeezee Ultimate Backcare 2000, which is specified as 'orthopaedic', 2000 pocket sprung, wool and cashmere padding (all sounds familiar), and with (here comes the tenuous link) 'Cairo' fabric. I found this online with free delivery and Quidco making it £370 all-in, meaning a saving of some £580 over the initial ticket price.

Do your research folks, it's easy to get stung.

That's what I have been telling people on MSE for ages.

Did you manage to cancel?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Lip_Stick wrote: »
    This is what I posted on another thread:-

Ventured into Dreams bed shop the other day, looking for a children's bed. They are having a 'sale' on the kids beds with around 25% off. I liked the Kansas bed, which was on sale for £275. There was an A4 information sheet stuck to the bed, with a pic, some details of the bed, and the sale price, and 'after event' price. The after event price was £379 for this particular bed.

Looking around, I came across a lectern, which had all the information sheets in a booklet, including beds that weren't on display. I came across the Kansas bed, and the price, which made no mention of a sale price was £269. They hadn't updated the sheets on the lectern, and it showed that for that bed, and all the others in the sale, the sale price was actually more expensive than before the 'sale' was taking place.

We asked a salesman and he agreed that it looked like the company had put the prices up for the sale. :mad:

I know the rules have changed about sales goods, that it isn't a set amount of time they have had to have been sold for, just a 'reasonable' amount of time. But can Dreams say an item is in a sale if it's never been sold for that 'after event' price?

Dreams (as well as many of the other big bed chain stores) do this all the time. You will find that for a couple of weeks a year, in just one or two stores, they will sell it at the inflated "end of promotion price".

The truth is that all of their beds are so over priced that even with their continuous better than half price sale, they are still expensive.

If I were you I would stay away from big brand names and big chain stores if you want good quality at a low price, and shop on line from a seller who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee that allows you to actually unpack and sleep on the mattress. This way it is in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport