Grolier hassle

Options

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As My old man used to say "You dont get "out" for "Nout" !!
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Ettenna
    Ettenna Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter has just been send a free book and another book for her baby. She is under 18 - am I right in thinking that she can't be extended a line of credit (or something like that).

I had some experience of Grolier when my kids were younger and there is no way I want her to get into them.

TIA
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ettenna wrote: »
    My daughter has just been send a free book and another book for her baby. She is under 18 - am I right in thinking that she can't be extended a line of credit (or something like that).

I had some experience of Grolier when my kids were younger and there is no way I want her to get into them.

TIA

A person under 18 can only obtain credit if a adult acts as guarantor. Its illegal to send anything trying to get a under 18 year old to borrow money or obtain anything by using credit.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • skinnymike
    Options
    i see i am not the only one but i too am having problems closing my account with grolier. i joined the club, received a number of books and paid for them all online. so far so good. then they set up 2 other accounts without me asking and started to send books for these accounts too! i managed to close these accounts after a struggle.

i decided that i had gotten enough books for my son so i requested they close my account. although i had paid for all the books i had received, they claim they couldnt find an online payment which their system told me was successful. they sent me some more books - after i had asked them to close my account - then charged me for these too! :mad:

i have been in contact with them ever since trying to sort it all out but they dont seem as keen as i am (what a surprise). in the meantime they keep adding late payment charges to their demands for payment and now i have a final demand for payment which i will take all the way if i have too.

my advice is if you want some nice books for your kids, go take a trip to the bookstore!

nice books, real shame about the customer service.
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I took up the Grolier offer on one of the cashback sites. I recieved a parcel of very nice books, some were free and others were on approval. I think 2 were on approval. Having looked at them with my boy (Who I wanted to encourage to read more) we decided they were too "young" for him.
    I phoned Grolier and told them, thanks but no thanks. They sent me a label to return the books on approval. I was allowed to keep the rest and so passed them on to a friends child who liked them. I kept my receipt for posting the books, I've still got it, I put them in a box for at least a year along with all my non food receipts.
    I had no problems at all with the offer, but its a good idea to understand the offer before taking it up - they're obviously hoping you'll want to join their club, thats their business.
    My only complaint about Grolier is that I've had a few phone calls since with offers of more books. I've already explained that I've looked at what they have to offer and it isn't suitable for me. A mild nuisance, but Grolier would do their reputation good if they stopped the follow up calls.
  • MissBYorkshire
    Options
    Thought this might come in handy for some letters, it's from the Trading Standards Website.

Unsolicited goods and services
    Unsolicited goods are those which have been sent to you 'out of the blue' and which you have not ordered. The Distance Selling Regulations state that you can treat these goods as an 'unconditional gift'; in other words, you can keep them or give them away, sell them, use them or destroy them, and the trader cannot expect you to have to pay for them.
    The Regulations make it a criminal offence to demand payment or threaten legal action to obtain payment for unsolicited goods or services.
  • poppasgirl
    Options
    I have had no problems with Grolier and have found them to be a good company with no complications.

I have ordered online and have found them to be prompt and efficient in their despatch.

I read all the paperwork that they send and any returns can be dealt with through their Customer Service Careline which is detailed on all their paperwork including the welcome leaflet. Their Customer Service Team is very approachable and helpful.

There are offers where there is a free item, but usually with a trial item to be paid for or returned, they usually send a letter or make a call or you can see their terms and conditions on their website.

Just call email or write and they can deal with your query with speed.

I personally have not had any problems. My experience was a good one.

If you make sure you are familiar with all their terms and conditions i see no reason why anyone would have problems with Grolier if you are aware of what you are getting into.
  • borobabe
    Options
    I am so pleased to have found this thread.
    I ordered some books from Grolier, all going well until I decided I no longer wanted to receive them. I closed my account but continued to receive books from them, followed by demands for payment. All books were returned to them but they still continue to demand payment for them. I have written to them at least four times and eventually got a demand from a debt collection company. I wrote to them explaining how I had closed my account and the books were returned etc, and then got a letter saying it had all be sorted out and everything was fine, until this morning I get a demand from Grolier again. I have another letter ready to post to them.

I would say rather than their customers being the 'dumb' ones as has been alluded to in this thread, that it is their staff who cannot read simple letters or acknowledge that an account has been closed. Another example of one not knowing what the other is doing methinks.
  • adea
    adea Posts: 448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am one of the lucky few who has had no problems with Grolier.
    They often call me and ask if I would be interested in a particular set of books, sometimes ones with a free book, if I don't want them I politely refuse and that's the end of the matter.
    I often send books back after the 7 day approval has ended:o and request a label using the on-line customer services.To date I have had no problems with them but as I stated at first, I am one of the few.
    If you don't want the books that Grolier have sent, email them for a returns label, that way you shouldn't incur any expenses.
  • borobabe
    Options
    Well yet more demands for payment so I am now advising them I will contact Trading Standards should they persist, keep your fingers crossed for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure