🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Grolier hassle

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would recommend Golier contact the Plain English Campaign,for advice,

because

as you say

"you would not believe how many people think it is " (free)

SO many people getting it wrong..?

Either people are being misled (have you seen the site "who calls me?")-seen how many people report being hounded by that company by phone

OR....you are telling the truth

I can't help wondering why all those people on "who calls me" have independantly complained about this "perfect" company ,would lie?

go on dostoy-go and read it.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Dostoy you have converted me, Grolier must be an amazing company ALL those many reviews on the net complaining about their problems with your employers must be wrong. Or in your words they just have no common sense.

You certainly deserve your bonus this week :rotfl::rotfl:
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found this thread after googling "grolier". Google always returns links to MSE! lol

Anyway, my wife got a call from grollier shortly after the birth of our son. I assume that they got her details from Bounty club or similar. The person who rang was rather pushy even when my wife said that she wasn't interested on a number of times. She kept on asking "why not? They're free!". In the end my wife reluctantly agreed.

When the books arrived with a request for payment my wife contacted Grolier and explained to them that the rep had mislead her they agreed to close the account and that they would send a returns document.

The document arrived with a "proof of postage" section to be stamped by the post office. The books were return.

A few weeks later a demand arrived. My wife emailed them a scan of the proof of postage which they accepted and stated that the account would be cleared and closed.

Now, another reminder stating "future credit availability"! Fuming!

People like Dostoy can go on about things NEVER being free etc BUT given the fact that the Bounty bag contains lots of freebies it is actually possible that the books might have been free promotional material in the same way that Pampers give away nappies and baby wipes etc!

Also, Grolier agreed that the books could be returned. Why such incompetance afterwards??
  • inclement
    Options
    Dostoy,

I've read this thread with interest and your comments have moved me to register so that I can reply.

If your attitude reflects that of Grolier then I can't imagine that anyone would want to do business with such a company. I only hope that with this thread now being brought up to date with recent posts, it comes to the top of any 'Grolier' google search in order that any prospective customers are forewarned.

Perhaps you should also be more cautious in questioning others intelligence, as this is proven to be not a good tactic in winning people over in debates.

Inclement
  • angelapops
    Options
    I too had sent away for the freebies but received 2 books extra for which they had billed me £9.98 if I wish to keep them.
    That was on Tuesday so after I read all this about the company I was worried but emailed to ask for return labels and to remove my name from their mailing list.
    And they have sent me a lovely email back just now to say that they will send out the labelsand remove me from their list.
    I can only speak as I find and they have been very prompt and polite. No hassle at all. So big thumbs up to them!:T
  • mishkanorman
    mishkanorman Posts: 4,155 Forumite
    Options
    angelapops,

Now the problems normally start ;) This company are a nightmare to get rid of, I hope you are one of the lucky few that have a smooth dealing with them !

mishka
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
  • angelapops
    Options
    Hi Mishka

Just back from holiday and have posted back the unwanted books as instructed ...I hope that's the last of them lol.
    I should have realised theres no such thing as a free lunch but I did see a link posted on this site for the free books and followed it without checking the company. I thought it was safe as it was from this site!:A
  • Whitsa
    Options
    We have just had a big box delivered by Grolier. Apparantly we are now members of the Disney "Wonderful World of Reading" club. This was neither asked for nor welcomed.

We do not want to pay the £9.99 to continue to be hassled by the company but now have the hassle of returning the books, claiming for postage etc.

I phoned up to complain (another cost) and to ask why we had been sent this. Was told we must have requested it either on-line or over the phone. This is a lie. A simple internet search shows that we are not the only ones.

It's pretty clear that either the company has a policy of sending out these items to people who's details they get off other lists (e.g. Bounty) in the hope that they will join because of the hassle of returning items. Or that telemarketing staff are claiming people have accepted when they haven't (probably to meet targets). Either way it's a sh*tty way to do business and they are not making a good name for themselves.

I have returned the items (cost £2). Hopefully that will be the last of it but somehow I have my doubts....:mad:
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Whitsa wrote: »
    We have just had a big box delivered by Grolier. Apparantly we are now members of the Disney "Wonderful World of Reading" club. This was neither asked for nor welcomed.

We do not want to pay the £9.99 to continue to be hassled by the company but now have the hassle of returning the books, claiming for postage etc.

I phoned up to complain (another cost) and to ask why we had been sent this. Was told we must have requested it either on-line or over the phone. This is a lie. A simple internet search shows that we are not the only ones.

It's pretty clear that either the company has a policy of sending out these items to people who's details they get off other lists (e.g. Bounty) in the hope that they will join because of the hassle of returning items. Or that telemarketing staff are claiming people have accepted when they haven't (probably to meet targets). Either way it's a sh*tty way to do business and they are not making a good name for themselves.

I have returned the items (cost £2). Hopefully that will be the last of it but somehow I have my doubts....:mad:

Well if these items really were unsolicited then you had no need to return them. Its actually an offence to send goods unsolicited and then demand payment It all comes under the Unconditional Goods and Services Act. You should have reported them to trading standards and kept the items.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Whitsa
    Options
    [html]

[/html]

To be fair to Grolier they have sent a letter saying my details will be removed from their records. They have also promised to provide a copy of the telemarket call where the offer was "accepted in our name". I'll be amazed if they can find this but should be interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport