Grolier hassle

Options

Comments

• dostoy
    dostoy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I know a lot about Grolier.

The offers that are on the website, coupons, or on the telephone are NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER all free.

There are always some trial books which means not free.

If you do not want them, call the customer services number or e-mail them and they will arange a FREE return of those trial books, always include your invoice with the books and always get a receipt from the post office and keep it for at least 3 months.

The telephone number is national rate NOT premium rate.

These are simple rules but so many people get it wrong.

They are a very good company but please read all the instructions on the website or coupon before you order the books.

It is very simple and straight forward if you have have a bit of common sense which so many people don't.
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Anyone want to play a game of spot the Grolier employee;)
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Years ago, when I were a lot younger, my parents took up an offer of encyclopaedias (sp?) from Grolier - there was a problem with getting them to fulfil the offer, and they had to go to the consumer help page of a newspaper to get it sorted out as Grolier didn't help.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Options
    We had some Disney Books from them a few years ago. The books were good, and when we decided we'd got enough we wrote and cancelled.

They sent the next one, which I returned.

The sent the one after that and an Annual. I wrote saying I'd cancelled on such a date and enclosed a copy of my original letter and was surprised to get the bill (these came separate from the book) as I hadn't had the book.

We didn't receive anything else
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dostoy wrote: »
    I know a lot about Grolier.

The offers that are on the website, coupons, or on the telephone are NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER all free.

There are always some trial books which means not free.

If you do not want them, call the customer services number or e-mail them and they will arange a FREE return of those trial books, always include your invoice with the books and always get a receipt from the post office and keep it for at least 3 months.

The telephone number is national rate NOT premium rate.

These are simple rules but so many people get it wrong.

They are a very good company but please read all the instructions on the website or coupon before you order the books.

It is very simple and straight forward if you have have a bit of common sense which so many people don't.

The telephone number on their website is 0870, which isn't national rate.
    try the national rate 01603 740400
  • Decades_2
    Options
    We recently received some books from them, completely out of the blue along with a demand for payment of £19.98. We think that they obtained our details from when we attended The Baby Show at Earls Court last year. The following letter from us resulted in them writing to us (pretty quickly to be fair) to apologise and promising to remove our details from their records:

I am in receipt last week of a package from Grolier containing a number of Disney books and CD’s. Enclosed within this package is an invoice and letter from you stating that these are my “latest titles” and that payment of £19.98 is due from me by September 1st. This appears to include a charge of £9.99 on August 13th for “8502s Beauty & The Beast / Toy Story”. It is also stated that payment is overdue and that £1.95 “will be added to any future reminder to cover extra administration costs.” A Series Account Number is quoted on the communication. This is: xxx

None of these items have been requested by me and “8502s Beauty & The Beast / Toy Story” has in fact not been received by me. I am assuming that some mistake has been made and would like you to remove my details from your records. On the advice of the Department for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, I have informed our local Trading Standards Service at the London Borough of xxx of your demand for money from me and they in turn have contacted their counterparts at Norfolk County Council.

I will gladly return the items sent to me by you if you supply me with a reply paid envelope for a sufficient amount. Otherwise, I will retain these items as unconditional gifts as per the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act of 1971. Any future items that you send to me will also be retained by me as unconditional gifts as per the above Act and any future correspondence or further demands for money received by me from you will be passed to the London Borough of xxx Trading Standards Service for further investigation / action. No monies will be paid to you by me at any time.
  • thedarxide
    Options
    I've just receieved a letter with almost identical details to the post above, and they will shortly be reciveving a similar letter to the above in return! (I'm a law student....)
  • dostoy
    Options
    Grolier NEVER EVER send out books to people who do not order them.

Can you remember either ordering them online, filling in a coupon, or more than likely getting a phone call from them.

It WAS one of those things.

All you have to do is call them and you can get a pre-paid label which you can use to send the books back along with the invoice so that they know who they came from.

This is what I mean about common sense, the books you got WERE ordered.

Grolier seem to have a bad name due to other peoples incredible lack of common sense.

It is your fault, why did you order them if you did not want them ?
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    dostoy wrote: »
    Grolier NEVER EVER send out books to people who do not order them.

Can you remember either ordering them online, filling in a coupon, or more than likely getting a phone call from them.

It WAS one of those things.

All you have to do is call them and you can get a pre-paid label which you can use to send the books back along with the invoice so that they know who they came from.

This is what I mean about common sense, the books you got WERE ordered.

Grolier seem to have a bad name due to other peoples incredible lack of common sense.

It is your fault, why did you order them if you did not want them ?

Why would anybody be dumb enough to respond to thread that has had no posts for 9 months and thus open themselves or the company they are defending to more bad publicity ? :rolleyes:
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • dostoy
    Options
    The reason was to put right a wrong and to show that the people who get books from Grolier HAVE ordered them and to show how easy Grolier are to deal with.

It just requires a very small amount of 'common' sense.

It is incredible how many people do not have the most basic intelligence or common sense.

They are the people who are dumb, not me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure