Grolier hassle

Options

Comments

• poppasgirl
    Options
    I just think that if you read the terms and conditions and if you make sure you know what you are getting into then their should be no problems.

If you are receiving letters then ring them, im sure that they will be able to deal with your query with ease.

Collection agencies dont get involved unless there have been problems with non payment.

I spose i must be one of the lucky ones that hasnt had a problems but if you keep in touch with them they will be happy to help.

There is a careline number that you can call and speak to an advisor, i have always found them to be polite and happy to help.

tel. no. 0870 2404385.
  • borobabe
    borobabe Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Update:
    The sets they are claiming payments for are ones I did not ask them to send, and apparently they have been using the original direct debit I set up with them for the books I did order to pay for the ones I didn't. Is this allowed? They are now asking for the remaining payments for books I don't want. If I didn't ask them to send them to me in the first place am I allowed to keep them or do I have to send them back? The problem being is that one of the sets we were sent (which we don't have all of as we started to send them back after we cancelled) the kids have been using and they are asking for around £150 for this set? We don't have them all.

Please help, I am starting to worry about this now.
  • Minxy_Bella
    Minxy_Bella Posts: 1,948 Forumite
    Options
    Grolier are a total nightmare, in my experience! It took me MONTHS to make them go away (and I'll admit I caved and paid them as I got frightened by the scary letters!)

I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole!
  • poppasgirl
    poppasgirl Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    borobabe wrote: »
    Update:
    The sets they are claiming payments for are ones I did not ask them to send, and apparently they have been using the original direct debit I set up with them for the books I did order to pay for the ones I didn't. Is this allowed? They are now asking for the remaining payments for books I don't want. If I didn't ask them to send them to me in the first place am I allowed to keep them or do I have to send them back? The problem being is that one of the sets we were sent (which we don't have all of as we started to send them back after we cancelled) the kids have been using and they are asking for around £150 for this set? We don't have them all.

Please help, I am starting to worry about this now.

If you have not asked them to send them to you then you need to find out how they were ordered. By telephone? By coupon? By internet?

They will tell you how and if possible they may be able to provide eividence of orders.

If you have given them your details for a direct debit for the books that you did order and agreed to pay for then you pay for those only. In my experience you only set up payment details on each set of books as and when you agree that you wish to keep them. You would have had to fill in the direct debit mandate or called in to set it up on each and every set.

As far as I am aware the details provided on each account are for the books you agree to keep and pay for only, if you have had more that one set then a direct debit is set up each time, does that make sense?

As far as sending back the books that you didnt want you have to tell them your situation, but all goods are on a 7 day free home trial if you go over that then you need to let them know and they will make a decision from there.
  • so2006
    so2006 Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Grolier are a total nightmare, in my experience! It took me MONTHS to make them go away (and I'll admit I caved and paid them as I got frightened by the scary letters!)

I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole!

I remember when i got a order, i never ordered. I called up and they canceled the account, It happened with books direct aswell. I got to keep the books too! Made a bit on ebay! :rotfl:
  • poppasgirl
    poppasgirl Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    so2006 wrote: »
    I remember when i got a order, i never ordered. I called up and they canceled the account, It happened with books direct aswell. I got to keep the books too! Made a bit on ebay! :rotfl:

How did they send you books you didnt order?
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    Grolier have now gone "bust". They are winding the company down, since loosing their disney book club licence theyve not been able to keep a float! I rang today and was told by their customer services
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • poppasgirl
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    Grolier have now gone "bust". They are winding the company down, since loosing their disney book club licence theyve not been able to keep a float! I rang today and was told by their customer services

This company has not gone bust, they have been in a period of wind down for some months due to their parent company not being able to find a buyer.

Disney have not renewed their licence, but i think youll find that you can still obtain Disney books from another source, i cannot for the life of me remember who!

But be assured Grolier have not gone bust and it is wrong of you to say so. Please get your facts right before you post please.
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    It was Grolier themselves that told me this, when I rang them about the disney books so my facts are right.

She told me since loosing the disney book club licence to another company they havent had enough business to keep afloat as most of their income came from disney books

It was their head office I rang and I cant see them being wrong.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    poppasgirl wrote: »
    This company has not gone bust, they have been in a period of wind down for some months due to their parent company not being able to find a buyer.

Disney have not renewed their licence, but i think youll find that you can still obtain Disney books from another source, i cannot for the life of me remember who!

But be assured Grolier have not gone bust and it is wrong of you to say so. Please get your facts right before you post please.

Only 16 posts and 5 defending Grolier,is there somethingyou are not telling us,like you work for them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure