Money Moral Dilemma: My son wants me to give him £40,000 even though he doesn't need it - should I?

Options

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

After selling my recently-deceased dad's house, I gave my daughter £40,000 as a deposit on a house. As my son has a very good job and already has a house, I had my will rewritten to say that he will get the first £40,000 from my house when the time comes, to make things fair. But my son wants the money now, which I could just about afford to give him, but I don't want to as he doesn't need it and it wouldn't leave me with much. How do I resolve this without causing bad feeling?

You need is greater than his so he will just have to suck it up. 

That is a terrible will clause though, he won’t get the £40k if you no longer own a home on your death.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your money and you can do what you want with it, but under the current terms you have clearly treated your daughter differently to your son. Whether that's a one off, or feels to him a culmination of you supporting your daughter with him "missing out" we don't know. Some siblings get annoyed at parents supporting others, some see it as right and normally depends on whether the sibling is trying hard or perceived to be taking advantage of it.

He may need the money or he may feel it as just a point of principle, and that may cloud his judgement even though he knows he's not entitled to it.

You can explain your logic or tell him tough that's what's happening and then he has to decide whether he wants it to sour a relationship or let it go. The one thing i wouldn't do is claim it's equal because as others have pointed out cash now is very different to a potential receipt of cash with substantially less value in the future when he may need it less or get to enjoy it less (e.g. a big family trip now may be bigger than receiving cash as you approach 70).

Hope it all works out.
  • roubiliac
    roubiliac Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you should allow for his £50K to increase by CPI until you die to be fair.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you need to go into care there may not be £40,000 left to give your son. Even if ther eis the money will have less value in the future than now.

While you can choose what you do with your money I htink you are being very unfair to your son. 

Only you can decide 
  • Peter_Vince
    Peter_Vince Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No.  It's your money, for you to enjoy your retirement, and you may NEED it.  Your son has a house and a good job, he doesn't need it like your daughter did.
  • Jazz4
    Jazz4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you need to consider the previous points then have an honest conversation with your son. Explain why you made the decision you did, and why you don't want to give him the money now. Base your decision on his response - maybe he'll explain why he needs the money now; maybe he'll say he'll wait. 

Or maybe you could start to give him the £40k in instalments, so that you aren't immediately left without it, and the potential loss of value over years can be avoided or at least reduced.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback