Not been abroad for 20 years

Options
167891012»

Comments

• SUPERGIRL2020
    SUPERGIRL2020 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    To be realistic - getting a suitcase for the hold is the way forward - I could not envisage a lady going on a 7/10/14 day holiday with only a carry on bag.
    Exactly! 

I’m gonna pay extra to check in my case but again another rip off by Ryanair £45 each way 😳 😡
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    To be realistic - getting a suitcase for the hold is the way forward - I could not envisage a lady going on a 7/10/14 day holiday with only a carry on bag.
    Exactly! 

I’m gonna pay extra to check in my case but again another rip off by Ryanair £45 each way 😳 😡
    Rip-off?

You'll find that most airlines don't include hold luggage with flight only bookings.
    Easyjet, Jet2, TUI also charge.

The trick is to be organised about what you want and then compare the total cost including flight, parking, fuel costs to/from the airport or travel costs (train/bus), cost of larger hand luggage, cost of hold luggage (if you want it), seat selection (if you want it) etc.
    And we factor in convenience as we prefer to fly from BHX rather than MAN (even though MAN is actually nearer) because it's an easier journey. BHX airlines seem to have flight times that suit us better too.

You may find that your Ryanair flight seemed cheaper than other airlines but not after you've paid for hold luggage etc.
    Headline prices suck people in - they're designed to do just that.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 April at 7:28PM
    Options
    Exactly! 

Not really.
    A package holiday offer factors in the cost of hold luggage at the bottom line price, so you pay significantly more than a DIY deal where main cases are an additional cost.
    For example, TUI use EasyJet as carrier for package offers where flights are outwith their regular 7/10/14 day flying schedules, however no hold luggage is included with these EJ flights.
    TUI's comparable deals (same airports, transfers and hotel) using their airline flight cycle are more expensive.
    When I've compared respective deals there has been little difference in final costings.

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    To get cheap flights I tend to book long in advance.  Heathrow is my closes airport so I tend to use that, rather than spending a lot of money on train fares to get to Stansted or Gatwick.
    For spending money I tend to withdraw some cash from an ATM abroad (using Kroo card) but use credit card (Halifax Clarity) for purchases wherever possible.
    Where possible I take all my clothes in a backpack, which fits under the seat in front of me on the plane.  At airport security I need to take out tablet computer and plastic bag with my tube of toothpaste...but otherwise travelling with just a backpack is very easy.

I'll be flying from Leeds or Manchester as those are my nearest airports. Ive bought a cheap cabin suitcase. I was thinking of taking some cash out at the cash machine here first and exchanging it for euros and taking my debit card with me. I'm really nervous lol   
    I'd suggest for flights that subject to route, Ryanair would probably be the best bet for you.

Easyjet or Jet2 also compete on these routes, so do TUI who offer flight only.

I tend to use flights.google.com as a first call, search between the airport pairs and make sure you only book on the airline website, not a third party agent.

Most payments in Spain can be made using a debit/credit card. You're unlikely to need to find a need for a lot of cash. In any event, it's probably worth finding an ATM when there. Santander ATMs offer free withdrawals when using a Santander card (standard fees apply for currency conversion, but these are likely to be minimal compared to the possible savings). If you can find a free ATM, even better!
    💙💛 💔
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Only fully branded Banco Santander ATMs at their bank branches dispense fee free currency for Santander UK accounts - the standalone machines which carry the Santander logo are part of the Euro Automatic Cash network - only Spanish account customers enjoy that benefit.
    If you check the Santander online ATM locator it lists these machines - but should be avoided by Brit debit card holders.
    Unless there has been a policy change recently Banca March and Deutsche Bank ATMs remain fee free, however the way things have been going in Spain this may change.
    I've read that Unicaja may also be fee free ?
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    edited 30 April at 4:06PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice you lot have been a great help 😁

I’m gonna check my suitcase in as I wanna take a lot of clothes can I take as much liquids as I want if I’m checking my suitcase in obvs I mean within reason lol or is their a limit? Ive looked at Manc airport website but can’t seem to find much info on liquids when you check a suitcase in 🤷‍♀️ 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice you lot have been a great help 😁

I’m gonna check my suitcase in as I wanna take a lot of clothes can I take as much liquids as I want if I’m checking my suitcase in obvs I mean within reason lol or is their a limit? Ive looked at Manc airport website but can’t seem to find much info on liquids when you check a suitcase in 🤷‍♀️ 
    Yes, you can.
    I'm particular about the type of suncream I use so I buy it here and put it in plastic bags in my checked luggage. 
    You can, however, buy suncream from Boots after security if you want larger size bottles. 
    Probably not that cheap though, I've never bothered looking. 
    You might want to consider decanting some of your liquids into 100 ml bottles or smaller. 
    I do that with shampoo, conditioner, face cream etc.
    After years of traveling, I know exactly how much stuff we'll use.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Make sure any liquids packed in your hold luggage are absolutely secure at the screwtop - otherwise there is a possibility of leakage  - which could ruin your clothes etc.
    We put small bottles inside plastic food pouches which seal up - and then into a zip up toileteries bag.
    When are you off now - soon ?
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    Make sure any liquids packed in your hold luggage are absolutely secure at the screwtop - otherwise there is a possibility of leakage  - which could ruin your clothes etc.
    We put small bottles inside plastic food pouches which seal up - and then into a zip up toileteries bag.
    When are you off now - soon ?
    I go in less than 2 weeks I’m nervous and excited lol 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport