We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rejecting new car due to dealer misfuel

Comments

• 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 95 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March at 11:49AM
    So here are the images of the injector that was taken out of the engine, with the following comments from the repairing dealer they noted upon removal of injectors for fuel rail cleaning, Cylinder 2 injector had been blowing by. Its seal that mates to the engine is loose in comparison to all other injectors and the rubber seal on the top that mates to the rail is perishing. they were concerned that this defect is not of warrantable concern due to the damage to the rubber seal on top and the general condition of this injector

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 763 Forumite
    500 Posts Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Name Dropper
     :o - they claim that's from a 250 mile brand new car ? And have they sent you pics of the others for comparison ?

Unless someone technical wants to offer a better view there's no way misfuelling could cause that in isolation to a single cylinder/injector.

• 99iainb
    Wonka_2 said:
     :o - they claim that's from a 250 mile brand new car ? And have they sent you pics of the others for comparison ?

Unless someone technical wants to offer a better view there's no way misfuelling could cause that in isolation to a single cylinder/injector.

No pictures for comparison, I assume the others are mint
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Name Dropper
    Wonka_2 said:

There is a part number on the injector.
    The second blue seal looks split, could it split whilst under pressure?

• Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 636 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    That's not because of misfuelling. The injector was never properly seated. That's why it was blowing by. The actual tip is clean and spotless.

Do you have legal cover on your car (or home) insurance?
  • 99iainb
    edited 17 January at 2:08PM
    Sadly I do not

The fuel has been sent off for analysis today
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 763 Forumite
    500 Posts Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    99iainb said:
    Wonka_2 said:

And this might be a pivotal point for your argument - you need the other pictures
  • 99iainb
    Wonka_2 said:
    99iainb said:
    Wonka_2 said:

And this might be a pivotal point for your argument - you need the other pictures
    The others, as far as I know, are fine and are in the engine. Why do you think I'd need pictures of the others?
  • 99iainb
    edited 17 January at 2:49PM
    99iainb said:
    Sadly I do not

The fuel has been sent off for analysis today
    Correction, I have just checked my home insurance policy, which just expired on the 14th of January and I did have legal protection. The relevant part of the policy says this: What is covered
    Consumer disputes - to defend or pursue legal action arising from a contractual dispute relating 
    to an agreement which an insured person has entered into for receiving services, buying, hiring or selling personal goods
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,989 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Name Dropper
    99iainb said:
    Wonka_2 said:
    99iainb said:
    Wonka_2 said:

The others, as far as I know, are fine and are in the engine. Why do you think I'd need pictures of the others?

because the fuel must have gone to all of the cylinders, and therefore if the issue was the fuel they'd all look bad.

If the rest are in mint condition, the problem is the injector was either faulty or installed incorrectly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.