Rejecting new car due to dealer misfuel

Comments

• 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    99iainb said:
    The Repairing dealer said there was something not right with the engine and they'd never seen anything quite like it before, almost as if somebody had tried to remove some fuel from the engine, I'm not engine savvy, so I don't really know what he was on about.
    What does it mean, sounds like the dealer doesn't know if it is diesel in the tank or something else, surely they have seen that before?

They're saying they've never seen anything like the condition the fuel injector was in with a misfuel. He did show me a picture and was pointing out something around an O ring... it really didn't mean anything to me though, he may has well have been showing me a banana  :D
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    99iainb said:
    99iainb said:
    The Repairing dealer said there was something not right with the engine and they'd never seen anything quite like it before, almost as if somebody had tried to remove some fuel from the engine, I'm not engine savvy, so I don't really know what he was on about.
    What does it mean, sounds like the dealer doesn't know if it is diesel in the tank or something else, surely they have seen that before?

They're saying they've never seen anything like the condition the fuel injector was in with a misfuel. He did show me a picture and was pointing out something around an O ring... it really didn't mean anything to me though, he may has well have been showing me a banana  :D
    Are they willing to document what they found when the fuel injector was removed from the engine - helps to build your case?

Did you say in an earlier post that you were going to collect the injector and post photos on here ?
  • 99iainb
    edited 16 January at 1:17PM
    99iainb said:
    99iainb said:

Are they willing to document what they found when the fuel injector was removed from the engine - helps to build your case?

Did you say in an earlier post that you were going to collect the injector and post photos on here ?
    Hmm... everybody's playing it all a bit cagey at the moment, I'm going to ask the repairing dealer to email the photos he's taken with an explanation of what he believes to be wrong with the injector and in his opinion why. So I'm not accused of doctoring them in this fantasy land I seem to have entered... he'll probably say no but I can only ask.

I will collect the injector myself tomorrow along with a sample of the fuel. I've instructed him to send a sample off to the lab for analysis, he said for me not to take all of the fuel away incase the analysis comes back inconclusive and they'll still have some left to play with. 

I'll post photos or link to them when I have them tomorrow. 
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    99iainb said:
    99iainb said:

I Bought a new car in England on the 29/12, collected it with 64 miles fuel range in it. Drove to the nearest petrol station and filled up with petrol. Drove home 110 miles, left it a few days before travelling on holiday did another 150 miles, with no performance issues and very good mpg numbers... when the engine failed, got towed back to my local dealer

You are not giving much information there. How did it fail?
    It made a knocking noise almost flapping noise (it was hammering it down with rain at the time) and started to lose power, I pulled off the motorway, stopped the car, started it again and the knocking was really bad and it wouldn't rev past 5000, at that point I switched off and called the AA.

Injector in cylinder 2 needed replacing and misfuel diagnosed

"wouldn't rev past 5000" ??
  • 99iainb
    edited 16 January at 1:57PM
    Iceweasel said:
    99iainb said:
    99iainb said:

I Bought a new car in England on the 29/12, collected it with 64 miles fuel range in it. Drove to the nearest petrol station and filled up with petrol. Drove home 110 miles, left it a few days before travelling on holiday did another 150 miles, with no performance issues and very good mpg numbers... when the engine failed, got towed back to my local dealer

You are not giving much information there. How did it fail?
    It made a knocking noise almost flapping noise (it was hammering it down with rain at the time) and started to lose power, I pulled off the motorway, stopped the car, started it again and the knocking was really bad and it wouldn't rev past 5000, at that point I switched off and called the AA.

Injector in cylinder 2 needed replacing and misfuel diagnosed

"wouldn't rev past 5000" ??
    Yes, sorry, meant to say it revved to 5,000 and wasn't in any kind of limp home mode and there were no engine warning lights on. I had a diesel injector go in my old Pug last summer, which ironically set me on the path to getting a new car, it's 11 years old, and when that went, a warning light came on and it wouldn't rev past 2,000 revs.

Got too much going through my mind at the moment!
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could get the car towed to a forensic automotive examiner and pay for an expert whitness, along with any credit card receipts and google tracking history (if possible) to show where you filled up and what with.

Get a statement from the fuel garage that nobody else reported issues.

Its balance of probability, the fault is deemed at point of sale so really the retailer needs to be doing to proof.

Did you get it on finance? Involved them. I would only be dealing with the retailer.

Any free legal advice with insurance? Union?
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    m0bov said:
    Did you get it on finance? Involved them. I would only be dealing with the retailer.

These are the only 2 bits of information needed at this stage. Assuming Hyundai have closed ranks (and not sure why you're dealing with Hyundai rather than the dealer unless you purchased direct from Hyundai).

On the (hopeful) basis there's some element of finance in the purchase then you engage the Finance company and let them play
  • 99iainb
    edited 16 January at 2:19PM
    m0bov said:
    You could get the car towed to a forensic automotive examiner and pay for an expert whitness, along with any credit card receipts and google tracking history (if possible) to show where you filled up and what with.

Get a statement from the fuel garage that nobody else reported issues.

Its balance of probability, the fault is deemed at point of sale so really the retailer needs to be doing to proof.

Thanks...

I have a credit card receipt, showing 32.5l of unleaded. 
    I have an email from morrisons saying there have been no other reports of contamination.
    I have Google timeline location on my phone and downloaded
    I have the cars own BlueLink data that I can see on the app. I'll probably do a FOI/GDPR request to see if I can get this data.
    I have requested CCTV footage from morrisons. 
    I am going to ask Hyundai for proof of what fuel they put in. 
    I did buy it on part finance to get the manufacturer contribution but have now paid this off (please don't tell me I've done the wrong thing there... I don't want to know lol)
    Unfortunately no free legal advice avenues, that I'm aware of
    Hyundai UK and the retailer don't want to know
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Who is this repairing dealer?
    Are they a Hyundai dealer or some 3rd party independent?

Sems a lot of finger pointing & no actual evidence.
    Life in the slow lane
  • 99iainb
    Who is this repairing dealer?
    Are they a Hyundai dealer or some 3rd party independent?

Sems a lot of finger pointing & no actual evidence.
    They are my local Hyundai dealer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure