Rejecting new car due to dealer misfuel

Comments

• Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    99iainb said:
    It had at most 8 litres in it when you got it with 9 miles on the clock, you put 30 litres of petrol in it, and you've done 260 miles since. There's no way it'd have run when you picked it up if they'd put even a five litre jerrycan of diesel in with three litres of petrol - that'd be 60%+ diesel...

Now one cylinder's gone down.

It's not misfuelling. They're guessing. They haven't even sent the fuel off for analysis.

It's a manufacturing issue with that injector.

"I've been told the fuel separates and when it's burnt through the petrol (that I put in) it gets to the contamination and then packs up"
    Nah. Doesn't work like that. If it did, then the diesel would sink to the bottom of the tank, where the pickup is. The pickup doesn't float on top of the petrol in the tank.

Misfuelling is far worse on diesel engines than petrols, because the diesel pump runs at MUCH higher pressure than petrols, and relies on the fuel for lubrication. Petrol injection is normally about 4bar in an indirect injection engine, up to about 200bar in direct injection - but diesel injection is 2-3,000bar. Petrol strips lubrication from pumps, diesel lubricates.
    Thanks, good info to know, it all sounds very fishy doesn't it! I know I've not misfueled it, the supply dealer says they haven't but the Repairing dealer says it has. Fuel analysis will hopefully give a definitive answer. Either way I'm rejecting it, if it had been a faulty plug or lead fair enough but an intrinsic engine issue and it can go back. 
    Is it an "intrinsic engine issue"? Or just a duff injector?
  • 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    99iainb said:
    It had at most 8 litres in it when you got it with 9 miles on the clock, you put 30 litres of petrol in it, and you've done 260 miles since. There's no way it'd have run when you picked it up if they'd put even a five litre jerrycan of diesel in with three litres of petrol - that'd be 60%+ diesel...

Now one cylinder's gone down.

It's not misfuelling. They're guessing. They haven't even sent the fuel off for analysis.

It's a manufacturing issue with that injector.

"I've been told the fuel separates and when it's burnt through the petrol (that I put in) it gets to the contamination and then packs up"
    Nah. Doesn't work like that. If it did, then the diesel would sink to the bottom of the tank, where the pickup is. The pickup doesn't float on top of the petrol in the tank.

Misfuelling is far worse on diesel engines than petrols, because the diesel pump runs at MUCH higher pressure than petrols, and relies on the fuel for lubrication. Petrol injection is normally about 4bar in an indirect injection engine, up to about 200bar in direct injection - but diesel injection is 2-3,000bar. Petrol strips lubrication from pumps, diesel lubricates.
    Thanks, good info to know, it all sounds very fishy doesn't it! I know I've not misfueled it, the supply dealer says they haven't but the Repairing dealer says it has. Fuel analysis will hopefully give a definitive answer. Either way I'm rejecting it, if it had been a faulty plug or lead fair enough but an intrinsic engine issue and it can go back. 
    Is it an "intrinsic engine issue"? Or just a duff injector?
    I'm no mechanic but it ain't no spark plug or lead
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Which model car and which engine? 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would ask for a full and detailed explanation what is wrong with the car before making a logical decision on the way forward.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • 99iainb
    Lorian said:
    Which model car and which engine? 
    Hyundai Bayon Petrol Manual 120
  • 99iainb
    edited 15 January at 8:06PM
    Today's update:

I've spoken to Hyundai UK and unsurprisingly they've washed their hands of me too! They said it's a he said she said incident and although I can prove those 32.5 litres of petrol I put in the car was indeed petrol I can't prove I didn't put anything else in! Despite them offering no evidence of what they had put in and when. 

Then unbelievably they said that the fuel taken out of the car was 100% diesel!!!!!!

It's got to the point now where I'm almost questioning my own sanity! I drove 250 miles on the tank I filled. I can only think that they meant 100% of the tank has been drained or I'm living in some kind of multiverse where you can travel around in petrol cars running on diesel!

Anyway, Hyundai have not sent the fuel off for analysis but I will be doing so tomorrow, kerching another £250. The repairing dealer still has all of the fuel drained from the system and said that if I want it to bring a container to put it in. They also have the damaged fuel injector that "doesn't look right" and I can have that too. When I get it I'll see if I can share the image for those of you that are interested and maybe know why it doesn't "look right".

Hyundai said if I'm not happy with the outcome I should take it up with the Motoring Industry Ombudsman. I'm not sure where I stand with rejecting this car now. Should I still reject it just to dot the i's and cross the t's so it's still within the 30 day rejection period?

The saga continues...
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    99iainb said:

Despite them offering no evidence of what they had put in and when. 

Then unbelievably they said that the fuel taken out of the car was 100% diesel!!!!!!

It is interesting, would a neutral person trust your version or the dealers version?
    I would say the 'facts' fit your version.
    Surely Hyundai UK should be getting involved to reach a solution, whatever that is. They need to back their dealer or something else. It would be strange that they are not backing their dealer?
  • 99iainb
    edited 15 January at 11:06PM
    99iainb said:

Despite them offering no evidence of what they had put in and when. 

It is interesting, would a neutral person trust your version or the dealers version?
    I would say the 'facts' fit your version.
    Surely Hyundai UK should be getting involved to reach a solution, whatever that is. They need to back their dealer or something else. It would be strange that they are not backing their dealer?
    It looks like a case of them closing ranks to stamp on the little man... as usual.

They have produced no facts whatsoever,  their "evidence" is that there is no evidence to say that they have put diesel in the car. I can only hope that the ombudsman will see it that way
  • 99iainb
    Yeah... I watched that the other day, I'm still none the wiser lol  :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills