• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What a nightmare!!
  • 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What a nightmare!!
    Tell me about it... and I fear it has only just begun! Hopefully somebody at Hyundai will do the right thing, I'm probably being naive though
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    99iainb said:
    They are just trying to baffle you, unless you just cannot remember what they said.

Probably a bit of both tbh, I'm not mechanically minded at all and he was trying to describe to me but it went over my head a bit. He was saying that they'd never quite seen anything like the condition cylinder 2 was in i think. Yes i need to get a written report on what they found... as long as they don't close ranks
    Would it be possible there was factory contamination in cylinder 2 (oil or some other fluid)  Just a shot in the very dark.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • 99iainb
    99iainb said:
    They are just trying to baffle you, unless you just cannot remember what they said.

Probably a bit of both tbh, I'm not mechanically minded at all and he was trying to describe to me but it went over my head a bit. He was saying that they'd never quite seen anything like the condition cylinder 2 was in i think. Yes i need to get a written report on what they found... as long as they don't close ranks
    Would it be possible there was factory contamination in cylinder 2 (oil or some other fluid)  Just a shot in the very dark.
    Maybe, assuming the diagnosis of misfuel is correct and I'll know when I get the fuel analysed something had definitely contaminated it between it leaving the assembly line and me picking it up. I'm kind of hoping the fuel isn't contaminated and I can just send it back as an engine failure
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ask the petrol station if you are visible on forecourt video if it's still available
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    99iainb said:
    Maybe, assuming the diagnosis of misfuel is correct and I'll know when I get the fuel analysed something had definitely contaminated it between it leaving the assembly line and me picking it up. I'm kind of hoping the fuel isn't contaminated and I can just send it back as an engine failure

They will not believe you.
  • 99iainb
    Lorian said:
    Ask the petrol station if you are visible on forecourt video if it's still available
    Yep, I have done that this morning 
  • 99iainb
    99iainb said:

They will not believe you.
    That's the whole issue isn't it... I have records for the fuel I have put in though
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure how much help the fuel analysis will be. Yes it will show whether incorrect fuel has been added but won't categorically identify where or who added the wrong fuel.
    The dealer will claim it could have been you, the petrol station or even the repairer who has caused the fuel to be contaminated; especially since you drove 260 miles with no performance issues (your words).

How did the breakdown occur ? was it a gradual deterioration in engine performance/ a rapid stop/ or unable to start the car?
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds highly unlikely that it came with diesel in tank otherwise it would had showed up almost instantly with such a small amount of fuel in the tank. The other possibility is you unknowingly filled it with contaminated fuel. 

You drove 260 miles, so very unlikely to have been a misfuel? I’m no expert but would have expected problems to have arisen much sooner into your journey, if not immediately
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback