We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rejecting new car due to dealer misfuel

Options

Comments

• sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 2,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have been let down by the dealer and the manufacturer. I would be rejecting the car and buying a different make from another dealer.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    99iainb said:

That all sounds very civilised and amicable, which manufacturer was this? Unfortunately it's been made quite clear to me when I initially told my dealer that I had a problem with the car, that they were not going to take any responsibility for it and quickly batted me off to Hyundai UK... the next thing they're probably going to try and do is use the fuel analysis that I had to pay for against me, that'll be fun when they do!
    Dealer will pass you to Hyundai on the warranty. But under CRA as you purchased from them (they will be a franchised dealer) They can not duck out of the rejection.

Sorry but what is the £1,250 for?
    The £1,250 is what I've had to pay out to get the car back on the road (due to mis-fuel not being covered by warranty) and to prove there was no diesel in the fuel as originally diagnosed
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As it has been proven it is not a mis fuel. Ask Hyundai to pay up. If they refuses then letter before action & take Hyundai to court to recover the cost.
    Life in the slow lane
  • cw8825
    cw8825 Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    is there anyone who has diagnosed the actual fault?
    And is that fault covered by warranty?
  • 99iainb
    edited 15 February at 8:16PM
    Options
    cw8825 said:
    Well, the "fault" was a (blown seal ring?) Fuel injector, the repairing dealer said this was caused by diesel being in the fuel system, which I have now proven it wasn't, they said mis-fuels weren't covered under warranty, so now I assume it should be covered by warranty
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    99iainb said:
    cw8825 said:
    Well, the "fault" was a (blown seal ring?) Fuel injector, the repairing dealer said this was caused by diesel being in the fuel system, which I have now proven it wasn't, they said mis-fuels weren't covered under warranty, so now I assume it should be covered by warranty
    Did the engineers who stated that it was diesel in the fuel system actually put this in writing ? if so you now have the written evidence that this was not so ,stuff the cost even if i had to borrow the money of a family member or a friend i would be straight down to the solicitors and drag Hyundai thru the courts ,would look good on the tv or in the paper.  
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,782 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's the dealer that should be billed the £1250.
    They required proof that you did not cause the damage, you spent £1250 on supplying that proof, so they are liable for that cost.
    They could have avoided that cost by just letting you return it without the extra expense.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • 99iainb
    edited 15 February at 9:12PM
    Options
    Ganga said:
    99iainb said:
    cw8825 said:
    Did the engineers who stated that it was diesel in the fuel system actually put this in writing ? if so you now have the written evidence that this was not so ,stuff the cost even if i had to borrow the money of a family member or a friend i would be straight down to the solicitors and drag Hyundai thru the courts ,would look good on the tv or in the paper.  
    Not quite... in the video they sent me they said "fuel contamination", they verbally followed this up by stating diesel... in fact when I was down there on Monday they were still saying it smelled like diesel, even with the fuel analysis report sat in front of them!! What I do have is a summary of Hyundai UK's "investigation", that they emailed me,  in which they state they were told by the repairing dealer that the fuel had diesel in it
  • 99iainb
    edited 15 February at 9:22PM
    Options
    It's the dealer that should be billed the £1250.
    They required proof that you did not cause the damage, you spent £1250 on supplying that proof, so they are liable for that cost.
    They could have avoided that cost by just letting you return it without the extra expense.

I don't really care who refunds me tbh as long as somebody does, I've emailed Hyundai UK and told them they need to sort it out between themselves. They could easily have avoided any of this with a correct root cause fault analysis... or even sending the fuel sample for analysis themselves. The actual proof cost me £250, the other £1k was on repairs, fuel system flush (which wasn't even needed) replacement plugs and fuel injector
  • 99iainb
    Options
    You have been let down by the dealer and the manufacturer. I would be rejecting the car and buying a different make from another dealer.
    It's a tricky one because there wasn't really anything else that took my fancy and I got this with a really good deal, about £4.5k below list... it's just a shame it's a bag of crap  :D 

I could demand a replacement but that means another 4/5 month wait. First things first I just want to get my £1,250 back

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback