We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rejecting new car due to dealer misfuel

Options

Comments

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January at 2:12PM
    Options
    Diesel is very difficult to ignite with a spark or even with a naked flame, unlike petrol that is very volatile in the company of a spark or naked flame.

The temperature range it ignites at tends to mean most diesel as combustible.
    Anything with a flashpoint (the lowest temp a liquid will form vapour in air that will ignite) over 60c is combustible, diesel tends to be between 52c and 93c.

Petrol on the other hand is certainly flammable!
    It has a flash point of -43c

There's just not enough red hot compressed air in a petrol cars cylinders to get a proper burn of the diesel, so it'll be left behind.

Now factor in that the ideal combustion ratio of 1 part petrol to 14 parts air for a petrol engine is now a thing of the past, the diesel mixed in with the petrol has ruined that and you're lucky anything being injected into the engine is actually combusting.

Your Montego had ingested oil into the cylinders and still ignited a perfect fuel/air mix to burn that oil off, that's quite different to what we think has happened to the OP's car.
    It's no long getting a proper measure of petrol to burn anything for a start.

It could be that injector was the first to go, it could easily have been one of the others that failed and stopped the engine from running.
  • 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 19 January at 2:50PM
    Options
    99iainb said:
    99iainb said:

I Bought a new car in England on the 29/12, collected it with 64 miles fuel range in it. Drove to the nearest petrol station and filled up with petrol. Drove home 110 miles, left it a few days before travelling on holiday did another 150 miles, with no performance issues and very good mpg numbers... when the engine failed

99iainb said:
    Don't know if I mentioned before but the fuel station was 1.6 miles away from the retail dealer, all downhill

The fuel station was morrisons and they've been very communicative and said they want to know as much information as possible, have provided me with a receipt and are sorting out CCTV footage for me.

Is that a wind-up, a road 1.6 miles all downhill?

Lol, no, seriously, the dealership was at the top of a big hill... it's hilly up north, more than seven hills  :D

Just mentioned it because these new fangled engines supposed to coast down hills, it certainly did when I was on the motorway coming home
    Even coasting with a ICE is using fuel.
    Unless it was a very steep hill, it would take a while to get up to speed. 
    So I would ignore this point & go back to the point that injector 2 had not been fitted correctly.
    Just clutching at straws trying to come up with an explanation for the unexplainable... 300 feet decline over 1.6 miles
  • 99iainb
    edited 19 January at 4:06PM
    Options
    Goudy said:

Over 260 miles or so, if more and more quantities of incompressible liquid have been added that won't fully burn, it's going to build up until finally something has to give.

Lets say that is correct, what is the likely weakest pint?

99iainb said:

I Bought a new car in England on the 29/12, collected it with 64 miles fuel range in it. Drove to the nearest petrol station and filled up with petrol. Drove home 110 miles, left it a few days before travelling on holiday did another 150 miles, with no performance issues and very good mpg numbers... when the engine failed, got towed back to my local dealer

The OP drove with no performance issues, even though they are not mechanically minded, that wouldn't be the case.
    The OP does not give many details, but if the OP is being honest driving 260 miles with mixed fuel would show symptoms.

There's no other details to give really, picked car up, filled with petrol, drove home on the motorway, drove away on holiday on the motorway, broke down, was told there was diesel found in the fuel system, that's it. 

This is the life of the car! Collected it with 9 miles on the clock, 16 miles done on it since being at the repairing dealer, diagnosis, repair, refueling, driving home etc.

• 99iainb
    Options
    Okay, so the results are back from the lab regarding the fuel analysis, conveniently the dealer that sent it off neglected to tell me they'd been received.

The good news is that no diesel was found to be in the fuel tank, the bad news is that 0.29% water WAS found.

So at least that clears up the debate on whether I (or anybody else) put diesel in the car! It does lead to  many other questions though, not least how did it get in there? I'm going to send the results off to Morrisons to see what their comments are.

As a matter of interest how far would my car be expected to travel with water in the petrol, it sill does not explain how I've managed to travel 250 miles in it before it failed. Could it have been contaminated when the AA man was trying to repair the car in the pouring rain for around an hour? It was absolutely hammering it down and he was swapping over the leads and plugs between cylinder 1 and 2.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The difference between 0.2% and 0.29% is no way going to be THAT big a showstopper - less than one ml difference per litre, a fifth of a teaspoon, just over two tablespoons per fuil tank...

That fuel test says no real issue there.

So we're back to that injector that clearly wasn't seated properly, and was clearly blowing...
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 3,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What have the dealership said now that result is back, are they going back to Hyundai UK?
  • 99iainb
    edited 12 February at 2:55PM
    Options
    400ixl said:
    What have the dealership said now that result is back, are they going back to Hyundai UK?
    Yes, the repairing dealer has said they're going to contact Hyundai UK. I've also sent it to Morrisons and the dealer I purchased it from
  • 99iainb
    edited 12 February at 2:55PM
    Options
    The difference between 0.2% and 0.29% is no way going to be THAT big a showstopper - less than one ml difference per litre, a fifth of a teaspoon, just over two tablespoons per fuil tank...

That fuel test says no real issue there.

So we're back to that injector that clearly wasn't seated properly, and was clearly blowing...
    It does seem an infinitesimally small amount doesn't it. It does point to a faulty injector it's just getting somebody to accept responsibility for it! It's not helped that this massive red herring has been thrown into the equation regarding the diesel. When I collected a sample myself it certainly smelled like petrol, yet the woman who was in part of the conversation I was having with the repairing dealer this morning kept saying it smelled like there was diesel, I don't know why she kept saying that with the lab report sat in front of her on the table! You couldn't make this stuff up!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    99iainb said:
    Yes, the repairing dealer has said they're going to contact Hyundai UK. I've also sent it to Morrisons and the dealer I purchased it from
    Nothing can be proven, that the water came from Morrisons, but that amount of water is not relevant to a blown engine.

• happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to say well done to the OP for getting the fuel results. Very stressful when it should not be  the case. Would be interested to know if this happened in the USA would you be able to reject a "Lemon". Are all dealers this bad?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback