We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rejecting new car due to dealer misfuel

Options

Comments

• 99iainb
    99iainb Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 12 February at 7:38PM
    Options
    happyc84 said:
    Just wanted to say well done to the OP for getting the fuel results. Very stressful when it should not be  the case. Would be interested to know if this happened in the USA would you be able to reject a "Lemon". Are all dealers this bad?
    Thanks, I knew I hadn't mis-fuelled so had to persue it in the hope of getting my money back in the long run. 

It has been very stressful, the way in which I've been left high and dry by Hyundai is beyond disgusting. And even now that I've proved it's not been mis-fuelled the repairing dealer is still refusing to accept any responsibility and have now turned their attention to the water in the fuel. I'm going to write a strong email to Hyundai UK tomorrow demanding a refund of the repairs and the reinstatement of my fuel system warranty. 

That is the problem with dealing with almost anybody in the UK, the refusal to accept any responsibility. Maybe I'm naive, I'm not saying anybody has/is doing anything dishonest they'll just go to great lengths to avoid responsibility and wriggle out of it. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    More than likely simply caused by condensation in the fuel tank.
    Warm factory when fuelled, then stood on cold dock, into a warm ship, back onto cold dock. Into warm PDI certer, back into cold. On transporter, back in warm garage. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    99iainb said:
    happyc84 said:
    Just wanted to say well done to the OP for getting the fuel results. Very stressful when it should not be  the case. Would be interested to know if this happened in the USA would you be able to reject a "Lemon". Are all dealers this bad?
    Thanks, I knew I hadn't mis-fuelled so had to persue it in the hope of getting my money back in the long run. 

It has been very stressful, the way in which I've been left high and dry by Hyundai is beyond disgusting. And even now that I've proved it's not been mis-fuelled the repairing dealer is still refusing to accept any responsibility and have now turned their attention to the water in the fuel. I'm going to write a strong email to Hyundai UK tomorrow demanding a refund of the repairs and the reinstatement of my fuel system warranty. 

That is the problem with dealing with almost anybody in the UK, the refusal to accept any responsibility. Maybe I'm naive, I'm not saying anybody has/is doing anything dishonest they'll just go to great lengths to avoid responsibility and wriggle out of it. 
    As the costs since you bought the car have gone up and up due to having to get fuel reports etc. is it not worth spending a bit more and going legal on this ,if Hyundai UK see that a solicitor is involved they might do the right thing and put things right for you.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • 99iainb
    Options
    Ganga said:
    99iainb said:
    happyc84 said:

As the costs since you bought the car have gone up and up due to having to get fuel reports etc. is it not worth spending a bit more and going legal on this ,if Hyundai UK see that a solicitor is involved they might do the right thing and put things right for you.
    It's an option, not one I really want to do unless I have to, going to keep it non-legal for as long as I can, but I'll have that in reserve if I need to use it. 
  • 99iainb
    Options
    More than likely simply caused by condensation in the fuel tank.
    Warm factory when fuelled, then stood on cold dock, into a warm ship, back onto cold dock. Into warm PDI certer, back into cold. On transporter, back in warm garage. 
    That seems to be the consensus of opinion from what I've just searched on google...
     "Having a small (i.e. minute) amount of water in the gas tank is normal. All petroleum is going to contain a small amount of dissolved water in its composition. For E10 fuels, that's typically up to 0.5% by volume."
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,700 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The max amount of water 'limit' on the table is more to do with testing purity of refinery deliveries rather than anything to do with ability for engines to operate.

Too much water isn't good for an engine, but its such a small amount and it doesn't mix with the fuel anyway, so highly unlikely to cause the damage experienced.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Petrol and water aren't miscible, there's just no ratio of petrol or water that will homogenise together without another ingredient.
    Any water will drop out of the petrol and pool at the bottom.

So, finding water in petrol would depend on where the fuel has been taken from in the tank.
    It would be very easy to skim a sample off the top and it would have no discernible water in it, but.........

Ethanol and petrol is miscible but ethanol is also hygroscopic, it will absorb moisture from the air or anywhere else.
    Ethanol will bond with the petrol and water will bond with the ethanol, so small amounts will not drop out of the mix and pool at the bottom.

Modern fuels have a percentage of ethanol in them these days, so it's a fair chance that is where the 0.29% has been introduced into the tank.

E10 can have around 0.4% water in it, but don't take my word, 
    talk to the testing company if you have their details as I suspect Hyundai will now turn their attention to the water content as an excuse.

• 99iainb
    edited 13 February at 12:45PM
    Options
    Goudy said:
    Petrol and water aren't miscible, there's just no ratio of petrol or water that will homogenise together without another ingredient.
    Any water will drop out of the petrol and pool at the bottom.

So, finding water in petrol would depend on where the fuel has been taken from in the tank.
    It would be very easy to skim a sample off the top and it would have no discernible water in it, but.........

Ethanol and petrol is miscible but ethanol is also hygroscopic, it will absorb moisture from the air or anywhere else.
    Ethanol will bond with the petrol and water will bond with the ethanol, so small amounts will not drop out of the mix and pool at the bottom.

Modern fuels have a percentage of ethanol in them these days, so it's a fair chance that is where the 0.29% has been introduced into the tank.

E10 can have around 0.4% water in it, but don't take my word, talk to the testing company if you have their details as I suspect Hyundai will now turn their attention to the water content as an excuse.
    Thanks, there's a lot of words in that I don't really understand but I get the gist of what you're saying. Good idea about contacting the lab people, I've got their details so I'll do that should I need to.

I've just sent an email off to Hyundai UK demanding that I be reimbursed my expenses and the warranty re-instated now it has been proven that no Diesel was found as had originally been diagnosed, I've thrown a few other threats in there, so hopefully they'll see reason and realise we've all been let down by the repairing dealer with their mis-diagnosis.
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    What happened to the rejection option? If the OP didn't misfuel it, it's a defect present from new. Refund or replacement vehicle.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,540 Forumite
    Options
    One of those cases where publicity would help to move things forward quicker. Negative posts on social media are dealt with quicker than emails/phone calls - shouldn't be the case, but that's the modern world.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback