🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

+++ Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Final payslip has landed - and there are pension deductions (good!) so it will be late Feb before I need to make a decision on where that goes.  It's finally showing some recovery actually so I might check mr redo pots of gold later.  A few hundred in tax refund paid out via payslip and the small refund from my tax return has hit the bank.  

I still need to think about the mechanics of paying myself from savings, and moving mr redo pension income around to cover DDs

no council tax this month hurrah, but also my car insurance paid in full so they offset each other.  

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ooh yes - you've reminded me about the zero council tax months - that's a bit of a win isn't it! (And here is me now hoping that when we moved they didn't set it up for payment over the whole remainder of the year...Hmmm!)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    "Sunshine and a (cold) breeze this afternoon meant it was worth washing knitwear - although it came in from the line not much dyer than it went out. Wood burners on and it is drying on hangers now. " This is why I haven't bothered yet with line drying, I remember years ago when I was new on here and trying every single MS tip I came across and line drying all year was one, I was super motivated to do my washing and have it dry outside...haha, I recall hanging it out and leaving it all day, no rain, but cold and grey and windy, it came in stiff as cardboard and soaking wet LOL I tried a few more failed attempts before giving up on that particular one, I think it probably helps if you're not in a north facing garden shadowed by lots of buildings though. 

Talking about bulk bags of rice, I use whatever is on offer tbh, I have a 10kg bag of one called salaam (think spelling is right) at the mo, I do definitely prefer other brands to this one but it's okay. I soak all my rice before cooking as was told it has arsenic in which is released as it cooks if not soaked :hushed: and then boil for about 7  minutes then steam for several minutes more and i've not had a single brand be too sticky doing it this way, but some brands are better than others I agree. 

JUNE 2024 GOALS ~ Manifest a buyer for my house so I can move!! DONE!!
    EF/moving fund total £1928.41 Let's get it to £2000 again! ~ NSD 2/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £0/ £500 ~
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 4,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @debtfreewannabe321, my garden doesn’t get much sun (east facing) so I don’t bother putting my washing outside unless the temperature is in double digits. It doesn’t come in dry-dry but it comes in with a lot less moisture in it. I always appreciate how having a good flap about in a breeze knocks the majority of the creases out of the fabric, even if it’s not fully dry.  

KK
    As at 15.05.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £252,383, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £6,480, Interest saved £2,415, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 20 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 27th May)
    Produce tracker: £34.02 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    @KajiKita I am going to wait until double digits too and start putting it out. I've got lazy with the bother of it last year. But I did buy myself a nice new rotary line last summer so started it up again till we had wet weather ...my aim is to get the washing out before summer 🤣 I was really lazy before and never took the risk lol
    EF/moving fund total £1928.41 Let's get it to £2000 again! ~ NSD 2/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £0/ £500 ~
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The washing line is at the north side of the house so it really only gets any sun from midday onwards, I rarely bother drying anything outside in winter as a result but I have more jumpers than radiators that work, and they can't go in the TD. 

I hate line dried towels, crispy horridness. 

I bought a 5kg bag of rice in the end, seduced by the basmati price wars. Azn price matched the offers I think and they at least had stock unlike MrT. 

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,736 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it's more about breeze and movement than sun - my garden is both north facing and in Scotland!  So long as it's not actually damp or raining outside I generally find it's worth line drying, even if things have to be finished off in the tumble dryer.  I just wouldn't want to be without the dryer for the days when it's actually raining.  

Totally agree re towels, though chucking them in the dryer when they come off the line works to make them fluffy again and still reduce use of electric. 
    The only thing I miss the tumble dryer for is towels. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    The next wash I do, I am challenging myself to put it outside now, reading everyone's comments. Unless of course it is obviously raining then maybe not :joy:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport