+++ Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Options
redofromstart
redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 12 January at 1:11PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
My original < < < out of cheese error > > > diary started in 2017 and records our journey to be debt free, mortgage neutral and then last year (hurrah!) mortgage free.  This new diary is to record our current focus on my efforts to retire early.

Lots of cooking, some gardening, many cats and the occasional Pratchett quote.  Far too many jumpers.

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ha!  First to arrive!  Have subscribed!
    one can never have too many cats or jumpers - and fingerless cashmere gloves!😉
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

................. and I find taking money out of any of the pots mildly distressing.  Savings are for polishing and admiring, not using........

Redo - how lovely - you've started another diary!

Can I send LG your way?  They think that their savings are for polishing, admiring and count, count, counting.... whereas mumma's purse is...... fair game 🤣🤣

Good luck in your endeavours to find the enough sweet spot!

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I’m here and happy new diary! 🎉🤩❤️😊👏

KK
    As at 17.03.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £255,571, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 13 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 9th April)
    Produce tracker: £22.24 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Thank you for joining me @Seasidegal58, @Greying_Pilgrim and @KajiKita

GP, it does pay off.  My third year degree eldest has hardly touched his student maintenance loans, because he has lived at home, but the advice is if borrowing the fees, take the loans. His computer is tired and old but he says it still works so why replace it regardless of who is paying. Mind you he is the one who did the cooking GCSE (as the least objectionable 'art' option), got an A* thanks to me, and has never cooked again since. 

so a mental re-adjustment.   The value of my time has decreased - opportunity cost of what else could I have been doing. If the answer is sat by the fire reading a  book rather than billing a client then I have a real choice to make. There was also a moment of realisation this week that anything spent over our income comes out of savings.  Would I tip a £1 note into the compost heap? No, so why am I buying things we don't need or not using them up efficiently.  Baby potatoes, broccoli and sprouts blanched and frozen. Tasteless tomatoes baked with chopped toms, onions and chilli flakes and a sprinkle of sugar - freeze, soup or as base under poached eggs. The second half of the cream (bought for bacon, mushroom, Stilton on toast - glorious) added to par boiled potato slices for a gratin type affair. The oven was on for dinner anyway. 

Tonight we had HM fish and chips - frozen fish, pan fried with corn flour.  Like many of the GF recipes it tries to recreate a floured recipe without really adding much. Next time I will just pan fry the fish without any coating. 
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,300 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m in, have subscribed. Happy new diary 🥳
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I love your description of Enough!  Very true. 👍
    🌟
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I have no idea where mr redo found it from @Seasidegal58 but I absolutely agree with the enough concept.

last night an overly affectionate mr fluffy Trousers purred round my ankles till I tripped over and painfully stubbed my toe. Badly bruised means Gardening boots not an option sadly.  I did condense rock climbing stuff into one big box, and some of his camping gear into another which left a few drawers free.  I also found many sets of high count cotton bed stuff and  a gel pillow which I must have relocated when we replaced the hot water tank. We do not need more new good bedding, we are using it already. 
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Ouch to the toe!😬 Naughty Mr Fluffy Trousers!  Although I'm sure he didn't mean it!🙀
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business