+++ Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,865 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    @EssexHebridean definitely use the PC next time - so much quicker and less hassle. Definitely less power too. For best results soak first and cook for about 5 mins (check that, but it’s about right) on high pressure (NPR). Can do from day but results not as good depending on age of chickpeas. Always NPR though.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January at 4:29PM
    Interesting madvix, even if I soak them I havent tried that short a cook in the Instant Pot.  He Who Doesnt Eat (HWDNE going forwards) will only eat them very soft and dry though.

I did the tax returns (woohoo!) and we owed half as much as I thought which was a great result.  Ive made yet more bread, and pea and ham soup to celebrate.

The lack of laptop with functioning keys is increasingly annoying - I think Mrs Fat Pants sat on and broke the keys around the enter key a while back so no arrows, hash tags or at/apostrophe keys for me which is most annoying, but an external keyboard resolves the problem if I can be bothered to fetch it.  

The lentil and chickpea prices are very good, but none available in our big city store for home delivery today.  They had them in the big edge of town store but in the world foods promotion bit rather than the logical places.  Nov 25 BBE on mine. What did turn up, against my expectations, was 4 for the price of 3 branded frozen stuff on online only offer.  Usually nothing turns up, but 4 x £1.95 jenga sized frozen oven chips (mine!) and 4 x £2 for 22 branded nuggets (HWDNE) turned up despite already being on a half priceish offer.  Happy with that, even if i had to jenga them in.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,117 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Do the fingerless gloves keep your whole hands warm? It’s my fingers I have trouble with, they’re always freezing cold. 
    No but they really really help.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,865 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I’ve checked the IP timetable and yes, pre-soaked chickpeas take 5 mins. Pre-soaking definitely ensures they are nicely soft - cooking them from dry works but it’s variable in results (and I always do for longer than suggested). For those on FB I can recommend the Instant Pot Multicooker support and recipe inspiration UK group - very helpful, lots of inspiration and they have recipes (and the official cooking times) in the files. 
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Morning Redo, I have just finished reading through your diary and bookmarked it to cheer you along. I feel really un-money-saving reading everyone talk about cooking dried chickpeas :lol: I cannot figure out how to do them right in a normal pan. So I buy tinned and considering we eat a lot I should probably crack this cooking dried chickpeas thing. DFW321 :heart:
    2024 Mortgage-free wannabe #17
    OP straight to mortgage - APRIL £277.55 / 206.88
    MOP savings account 1200 / 3000 to be paid later this year
    Mortgage balance Jan 1st 2024 £99224.13 Feb 1st £98,833.72 Mar 1st £98,928.18
    Apr 1st £97,646.20
    Emergency fund £1255.78/ 1500 84%
    Food Budget - JAN 484.44/500, FEB 488.59/500, MAR 439.33/500, APR 531.34/500 -OOPS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

I had to be in local market town early doors so I overshot to the big MrT..........  Also in store 2kg bags of chick peas/red lentils at £3 which is a great price per KG (Laila - in the world foods promotions bit).  
    Sweetie,  Thanks everso for mentioning ^ offer on Lentils/Chickpeas.  I was on the lookout for lentil offers as I was on the last gasp of the 2kg bag that I had in stock, anyway.  The offer has now improved slightly (if you have a clubcard), and instead of £3 they are £2.70 (cc price).  £1.50 a kg is great, but £1.35 even better, so I stocked up.  They hadn't got the promo in Greying Town's large Tesco - which hasn't hardly a 'World Foods shelf' anymore, let alone a whole blessed aisle...... 🙄  But thankfully the huge-er-rer MrT in the next cosmopolitan town along does still have 4 shelves dedicated to 'World Foods', and they had the promo there.  I have to say, I didn't think they had the chickpeas - but they did - they had just put them away from the lentils.  That store also had 2kg bags of chana dhal (de-skinned chickpeas??) in the promo too.  They also had offers on Laila branded basmati rice - I can't remember the exact prices for the 5kg and 10kg bags - but I know that 10kg was £13 - or £13.50 ish - certainly a good price per kilo, anyhoo - just in case anyone is on the lookout for bargainacious basmati.  

I did buy a pack of the chickpeas, but have a 2kg bag here that I have got to process first, but the bb dates were Dec 2025.  I need to get on and do the chickpeas, I keep on stalling because I've got it in my mind that they are going to be hard (even though they are still in date).  But unless I get on with it, I won't know will I?  I do the 24hr soak and then cook in the PC - usually for 8 -10 mins.

But lentils are a staple in our house, so I was very glad to have come across the offer.  Thanks again.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,297 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Haha DFW321 I often buy tinned ones too as sometimes they are just easier! 

Vix thank you for that info - I have copied your post into an email to myself as that is where I will look when I start to try to recall who it was who told me the cooking time! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • redofromstart
    Ooh thanks for the update on that @Greying_Pilgrim, we need to head over to a different market town (now our closest wicks) which also has a big T so I may be able to pick up some more given that my year off plans rather depend on frugal eating. 

I wasn't sure on the basmati - some very negative (maybe brand snobbery?) reviews on the deals sites but I I generally buy discounters or Mr T in a kilo bag, so any views welcome?
  • redofromstart
    @themadvix, sounds really useful and I have no excuse for not soaking things now. I will try the next instant pot soaked batch at 5 minutes. 

@debtfreewannabe321 I always used tins but the one who doesn't eat decided they were slimy so I have experimented.  He needs the protein tbh.  I have an instant pot now, but I know when I did the maths a few years back on a normal pan the gas, effort and dried kidney beans, the tins actually worked out cheaper so check before you swap.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January at 5:26PM
    Hey redo - I have never (knowingly) used La1la brand of basmati.  I tend to stick with MrL now - although it was an eye-watering £16.50 last time I got 10kg.  But have used various brands - including Tr0phy and one that I won't use again, that I got from MrM (but other places sell it as I actually saw it in MrT today), which was...... (had to look it up) Bad$hah.  Interestingly, it was ok taste-wise, but very prone to 'stickyness' and bitty.  Bittiness was one of the complaints about the La1la rice that I just read on the Morries website, so yes, possibly not worth the investment, as £13 ain't no small beer.......

Plus I forgot to mention that it quite clearly said £3 for the lentils on the SEL - with the clubcard price in a yellow circle, but my till receipt says that the packets were £3.60, making the reduction 90p per packet......

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills