+++ Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I gave up on outside yesterday as the wind was really cold. I tidied my store cupboards instead which is always a useful exercise.

I found some flaked almonds and glacé cherries so I can make the butter nut slices that @Suffolk_lass kindly shared the recipe for on her diary.  @greenbee reminded me of frittata as a good lunch option so I will make both when the oven is on for roast lamb later. Need to put another batch of bread on too. 

The fruit bowl looks rather forlorn which goes against my stop wasting things mindset.
    Made some lemon curd which used the tired lemons. A reduced to pennies mango that hasn't really ripened but is now wrinkling - might see if it is usable for mango chutney today. The apple can either go in the chutney or out for the blackbirds. 
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've give been eating frittata lately as part of my Slimming World diet. I really don't know why I haven't made it in the past more often as it's tasty, so easy to make and nutritious. 
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I made my 9 eggs into 12 frittata 'muffins'. Two for lunch, 10 for the freezer. As long as they fit in the inside freezer. Not going into the garage (although I have at least now got all the sliced up carpet along the bottom of the garage doors to reduce the draught!). 
  • LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I love a frittata - you have reminded me of them ... I feel privileged to be your back reading  - at least the kale is useful - (I aim for half a plate a day of it or spinach minimum) - not sure what else is though...

I have never made chutney but the mango sounds great as does the chili jam - do you have a recipe??
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I was a bit short on eggs but made a potato/cheese/onion version for cold eating. The rest of the cheese grated and frozen rather than let it grow mould in the fridge.

The cake slices were made and have (mostly) been eaten, with very positive feedback.  Mango chutney made and stretched a little with the last apple, and used my home grown chillies which was a bonus.  Plenty of lamb left for me, just need to remember whatever recipe it was that I bought pomegranate molasses for - I am sure it involved cold lamb.

I had to be in local market town early doors so I overshot to the big MrT.  They also didnt have the loose tea I wanted but they did have some bargains in the house bit, and I accidentally brought 2 x 28cm decent heavy based frying pans home at £7 each - one for me and one for the present box.  Also in store 2kg bags of chick peas/red lentils at £3 which is a great price per KG (Laila - in the world foods promotions bit).  
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I love a frittata - you have reminded me of them ... I feel privileged to be your back reading  - at least the kale is useful - (I aim for half a plate a day of it or spinach minimum) - not sure what else is though...

I have never made chutney but the mango sounds great as does the chili jam - do you have a recipe??
    If you've read much of redo's diary you'll be aware that green veg is not a favourite. In fact i think half a plate of kale might kill her 🤣
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Oh that IS a good price on the dried chickpeas - in fact I'm seriously tempted to swerve in to T's on the way back to the car now you have mentioned that as I refilled my tin last night and know there probably isn't sufficient in the bag for another refill.

I cooked chickpeas yesterday - debated about pressure cooking, wimped out. I soak mine for 24 hours changing the water twice as that seriously reduces the cooking time - they then took about an hour and  a half at a low simmer on the hob. Would the PC have worked out cheaper? Perhaps... Must get brave and try it next time. 

I like kale - and indeed spinach, but there is no way on this planet I'd be eating half a plate of it at a time. Each to their own. I do like half the plate to be veg, but definitely a mix of veg! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Not that keen on kale I must say, although I like baby spinach in a salad. Been eating quite a bit of that as I'm trying to lose weight. I'll end up looking like Popeye at this rate!😳
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,256 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I love kale and spinach. Has anyone tried kalettes - oh my they are gorgeous 😋 Veg wise there’s no gain in eating huge quantities of one type as it will still only count as one portion for five (or ten) a day purposes. 

Mental note to look at chickpeas and lentils in T as I practically live on them. I was planning to visit a local-ish international store but this sounds like a really good deal. 
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure