+++ Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,578 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought the puy lentils pouches on offer too. Handy to have in. Also bought the chestnut pouches when they were on offer.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I missed the chestnuts this year, which is annoying. 

I’ve also (still) got garden envy - in spite of finally having one, there is little I can do in it at the moment - so it’s just down to notebook and pen planning, currently. We might have a play with the front garden tomorrow though as we want to see what’s under the weed suppressing membrane (which isn’t suppressing much anyway) in one area to see if it’s going to be plantable any time soon… 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We buy the MG pouches whenever they are on offer (lentil and chestnut) and really liked the chestnut stuffing too which appears to have been discontinued by my SM sadly. We also buy Bradbury vac packed chestnuts in H0me Bargains at about two thirds of the MG price, still tasty and work well for candied chestnuts on the rare chance I can be bothered with making them. 

Lots of vines and holly chopped off the fruit trees, and both green waste bins filled. I pay enough for the service, the bins should be full, and shortly one of the two will be full of grass cuttings every fortnight.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,953 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for the dinner inspiration Redo - we had the squash with tomato chilli lentils this evening (no peppers) - was delicious! 😋 Mr MV isn’t keen on squash but I think he’d happily have it again like that.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,578 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just like you and nine times out of ten I think I could've made better at home. It's a nice treat though especially if you're out and about. For this very reason we never order takeaways, always disappointed. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Mr Redo and I went out for lunch today, which was ok.  I always sit and internally mutter at how much nicer food I could make for the same money but it is nice to not have to cook.......

I'm just like you and nine times out of ten I think I could've made better at home. It's a nice treat though especially if you're out and about. For this very reason we never order takeaways, always disappointed. 
    I agree with you both - we rarely if ever now eat out/get a takeaway.  It helped that previously the takeaways around weren't very good.  Not too sure about the new place - yet to try, but sometimes it does smell nice......  But how I do like the 'treat' aspect of someone else doing the cooking occasionally - or sometimes just the 'thinking' behind what to have to eat.  Lovely dilemmas to have, but I would like to pass across the wooden spoon just every once in a while....... 😉

I have pasta sauce for tea tonight and future dishes now, redo thanks to you mentioning getting a pot of sauce on the go - thanks 😁

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £235.12/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 2/24 (inc. Blankets 2/6)
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 4,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It took me a long time to get into Christopher Lloyd, but I am now prompted to go and ferret one of his books out 😊

KK
    As at 15.05.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £252,383, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £6,480, Interest saved £2,415, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 20 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 27th May)
    Produce tracker: £34.02 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Some timely offers have arrived, good butchers 15% off on something special for our birthday meals in the next few weeks, and grass fed bones for stock and soup too. Parker's free delivery, £9 of my fritter money spent on 15 bare root plants for my sunny border. Oc8do 20 off a 60 so various treat bits ordered. 

The Tom sauce got used for HM pizza for the eldest yesterday, and 3 more portions frozen. 

Tidied out the polytunnel and greenhouse, sadly the ancient heated propagator shorts the house despite change of plug and fuse, and the no longer clear hard plastic lid has gone yellow and brittle
    so I can't even get away with a £15 replacement heat mat although the lidded tray itself will be useful till seeds germinate. I did find sharp sand, vermiculite and some nice long root trainer pots for the various beans and peas which was a result. 
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I pottered and sowed some seeds - broad beans and sweetpeas, now in the unheated propagator together with the micro greens (broccoli) I did the other day. I am going to have a new heated one for my birthday, and have established that the one I want is in the orange diy shop for collection slightly cheaper than elsewhere as well. I am lucky in that we have very deep window ledges downstairs even if the cats do think that plant trays are the best place ever to sleep.

Taken a deep breath and started pension transfers to a new provider - two small pots and one larger shifting.  We are likely to need to access these at some point in the next few years, and given that Poodential have been absolutely atrocious on actually crediting contributions (missing for two years, took ages to get resolved) and have an awful reputation for dragging heels on actually paying out, it makes sense to move these smaller DC pots into a single place with easy access. Noting it here so I can be suitably outraged at how long it takes them to do the transfer via the "faster" service.

My final work contribution hasn't credited yet, once it does I need to make decisions about moving that as well.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback