Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,489 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Whispers.  I buy pre prepared.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There’s only 1 of you though so no waste….I hadn’t factored that into my mumblings 😂😂😂😂
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,429 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on half off - better off than on 🙂 
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like carrot and swede mash, we usually cook the whole swede and lots of carrots and freeze in portions 😋
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 January at 12:54AM
    Options
    1. Love carrot and swede mash and I do make it then freeze the extra. I was trying to think of alternative ways for potatoes today because I either have roast ,mash, baked or chips so I'm going to try a gratin for a change. I had chips tonight and I didn't enjoy them at all. Also love the idea of stir fried cabbage,I normally steam it but fancy a change.i bought kale this week so I might stir fry that.i like to cook it in the oven to make it crispy though 😍😍
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I like boulangere potatoes - less calorific than dauphinoise or gratin as they're made with stock 😉
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another one here who loves mashed swede and carrot.

Also sweet potato and parsnip mash.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Also sweet potato and parsnip mash.
    Oh, I haven't tried that, but it does sound good.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a couple of busy days. Yesterday we were at ds house whilst Dh did a couple of jobs. Ds made a lovely Chinese for us. Lemon chicken, fried rice, broccoli and oyster sauce and beef and veg stir fry. Just as tasty as any take away I’ve had but much healthier 👍 I was very impressed he managed as he’d hurt his ribs and found it tricky to reach and lift. I didn’t know he’d injured himself until I got there and he’d already done all the prep….had I known it would have definitely been a takeaway. Anyway we insisted he rest up whilst we cleared up afterwards. The weather was horrendous…wet and windy so we stayed in and played the game he got for Christmas. We want to get to grips before the gks come in a couple of weeks. 😂😂😂 and we watched a film. So a lovely day all in all. No pennies left my being or bank 👍
    I also had the most lovely day on Friday. I gave my Friday morning sw up in the new year and have missed going out on a Friday morning. We’ve had a routine where Dh went to his U3A and I went to SW at the opposite end of the street then we’d meet up and go for a cuppa with the U3A group before going and doing something nice for the rest of the day. I’ve been looking for something to fill the gap so we can continue our routine. Out of the blue, or most probably Bif Brother watching my searches….something about a singing group popped up on FB in the church hall opposition’s where he goes and it was at the same time. True to form I couldn’t find the post again so. I just went on chance on Friday morning. It was on 👍 It was a mixed aged group of about 15 people. The person running it was a lovely young mans, I’d say, in his 20s who played the guitar…..he was full of enthusiasm and insisted anyone can sing and it wasn’t a choir but a fun singing group. I’m definitely no singer but thoroughly enjoyed it….it was so welcoming. Apparently it started in mid December and they’re after new recruits. It was £5 but tea and biscuits were included. I need to get to sw target at my Wednesday group so I don’t have to pay for that anymore and the singing will just replace the sw money. I have not renewed my WI membership so don’t feel too bad about the fiver. The £5 is from my incidental cash I’ll add up at the end of the month.
    From there I needed a repeat prescription so went to the chemist in person with Dh in tow so he could register at the chemist and just phone through for his repeats instead of having to get in touch with the gp practice. We couldn’t get parked so nipped into Ald!s carpark. As we were heading back to the car….just outside the shop door I saw £20 on the floor…..then another £20. I looked around and there were a few folk who could have dropped it. I picked it up and was going to go to one of the checkouts to report it. There was a lady rummaging in her bag just inside the shop. I asked if she’d lost anything. By this time I had the money in my hand and she couldn’t see it. She looked as if she was about to cry and said £40. I handed it to her and she was totally overwhelmed. Thanking me for my honesty. Her children had been in her rucksack handbag and opened the small pocket where the cash was and not zipped it after them. It made my day to see her so pleased. I couldn’t get the image of her maybe getting to the checkout and finding her cash had gone, Disaster avoided 👍
    it was a beautifully sunny but cold day and Dh had an e-voucher for a £6 carvery. We looked the pub chain up as we wanted one where we could have a walk and make an afternoon of it. We headed to a city at the mouth of our little river where we often go. The carvery was delicious and we walked along the river afterwards. We stopped and rested several times and watched the sunset over the opposite bank (not far from where we’d dodged waves last week). You could see the hills of Wales in the distance . We had another short ride in the car to the city centre (we usually walk it but I knew it was too far) and had another mooch around to avoid the teatime traffic on our way home. I was totally shattered afterwards. We’d had a good walk but only half of what I’ve previously done there. My ankle and hip objected big time and I don’t suppose the very cold weather helped. But it was worth it. I didn’t sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time that night  as I couldn’t get comfortable afterwards, so I was glad of a lazy day at ds yesterday and an even lazier day at home today 😃 I spent £4 on some hot drinks on one of our rest stops.
    Tomorrow will be aqua in the morning and I want to go and find a nice top for a fancy meal we’re going to in the big city on Friday. It was a Christmas present….6 course tasting menu with paired wines 🥂 I might get on the tram and head to an outlet complex and if I don’t find anything there go to the big shopping mall a tram stop or so away. But that all depends on the weather…..
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,489 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Stunning pictures.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback