Eon billing

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,973
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fofozuzu said:
    Thanks for all your help and taking the time to reply , Scot-39 big thanks for all your explanations. We have turned off those monsters of heaters end of June to try to understand his consumption of electricity so there is no doubt they are the guilty ones, we will change them, with that amount of used units you would have thought that each time I went to his flat I was entering a Turkish sauna but it wasn’t the case , it was pleasant but not boiling hot so I never questioned anything. I think that all we can do is wait for the ombudsman and hopefully we can negotiate something realistic so he can move on and learns an expensive mistake,
    Is this flat rented ?  If yes then you will need the freeholders consent.

Never pay on an estimated bill
  • you would have thought that each time I went to his flat I was entering a Turkish sauna but it wasn’t the case

The Laws of Physics tell you that a property will only remain at a stable temperature when the heat loss matches the heat produced in the property. My guess would be that the property is not particularly well insulated. Buying more modern looking heaters will cost a lot upfront and cost a lot more to run in Winter.

The Energy Ombudsman is not a regulator it is a private arbitration company that looks solely at your written complaint and the supplier’s case file. It bases its Decisions on what is contained in the Supply Licence. 

The Ombudsman will come to a final Decision which you can accept or reject. If you go for the reject option, your complaint becomes ‘null and void’. The supplier is required to comply with the Decision but The Ombudsman has no statutory enforcement powers. My advice: stick to the facts; provide supporting evidence and avoid emotional references to your 24 year old son. It is worth getting someone who is not involved in your complaint to read through it before submission.

• Fofozuzu
    Fofozuzu Posts: 62
    First Post
    Forumite
    th thanks dolor
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 523
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'll apologise at the outset, if I've misunderstood this whole thread, and hope I don't add to any confusion. 

Has page 4, the post with the bills been edited to remove bills? Or am I missing where the multiple rates, and 2 daily charges (I assume standing charges) are? 

The bills right now (Sunday 23rd @ 1120) show everything billed on Next Flex which is their Standard Variable Rate. The costs jump about a lot, as various rates of EPG are applied.

The bills are posted out of order, but the readings follow on...ignoring the decimal place, and missing a few out..... 

07 May 22 - 88093
    01 Oct 22 - 90770
    01 Jan 23 - 93496
    01 Apr 23 - 96851
    01 Jul 23 - 99664

Where are the 2nd or 3rd lot of readings? 

Yes, the usage is high, but some of the issue is not being billed at E7 or on other split tariffs.

OP, just to sanity check, you say in your opening post, that the meters are in the flat. You do mean within your son's flat, and not a cupboard within the wider building (flat)? 
  • Fofozuzu
    First Post
    Forumite
    hi vic-sf49 , sorry if I am a bit all over the place, 
    ONLY ONE METER IN FLAT WITH 3 READINGS 
    DAYTIME, NIGHTTIME,OFFPEAK
    now the problem is eon has never billed him for the ( biggest readings) off peak one and after 2 years  in may 23  when it was given to them from day one ) proof of it, they are realised it and billed him back dated and send those massive bill but don’t issue anymore the bill for daytime and nighttime readings which we provided also on 24 out of 27 occasions in last 27 months 
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,686
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2023 at 8:41PM
    As @[Deleted User] - the Ombudsman is just that.

He is only there to see a fair resolution - but that is fair to both parties - and under the supply rules and law. And from many reports here tends not to make overly generous compensation recommendations if any - some here have said even a risk of overturning supplier good will payments if decides consumer equally or more at fault.

So if EOn have complied with back billing etc etc. I'd be wary of being too optimistic.

Just noticed your further detail on flats  - the top floor and tenement (perhaps again a suggestion that the S Scotland region applies  - as tenement is to me a particularly Scottish term).

The top floor could be losing heat to a poorly insulated loft space.
    If say a traditional red or blond Sandstone tenenement the wall and loft insulation may be bad or variable - certainly compared to a new build. Or simply built as many were - with high ceilings and big windows - which can in itself add to consumption. 

Adding a ceiling fan or a quiet so called circulation fan to force cooler air up or even just around in winter to displace hot  - to stop hot air pooling at height and just even adjacent to heater panels could maybe help reduce bills a tad if the case. But depends on room arrangement and source of losses.
    Some test room cases have shown several degrees from floor to ceiling and above panel heater to rest of room etc without good i.e. gently forced air circulation e.g.
    https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/use-your-ceiling-fan-for-cheaper-heating

If son owns the property - and plans to stay - it may be worth looking into insulation - internal walls and ceilings. 
    But anything major - and need to be careful about inducing dampness in both the shared ownership loft space and walls.

Cheap draft proofing tape can help.  Temp like film double glazing or Thermal lined curtains and heating in front of them if heaters under windows etc.

And as stuck electric - think about tariffs and heater type decisions - NSH and off peak rate options.  Modern HHR NSH are expensive - cf cheapest heating options - but some charge £500+ for glorified panel heaters with much poorer characteristics - and a good HHRNSH could essentially use very little power whilst your son out at work - by setting a low target thermostat setpoint.  Like 12-15c daytime and overnight - 18-20 evening etc and achieve that using off peak rates on a competitive suppliers E7 deal.
    And if owning with plan to sell - cheap electric heating can impact value as well - putting off energy savy cost buyers.

I use about 75% off peak annually on e10 - over 90% in a really cold snap in winter - so my average rate is below SR - but not as much as it could be I suspect with hhr nsh and a more competitive e7 deal for that mix.  But the £1000s required and so the many years for payback put me off.

But to achieve my sub 4000 - I pushed this winter probably too hard - run colder temps than most - 17, 18 max in lr, 14-15 elsewhere and needed to layer up now getting older and in longer hours daily.

You say his flat not toasty - but what is comfortable can be surprisingly high if not dressed for winter (my sis used to come in from office, het to 20c plus, sit in a thin blouse, and complain house was cold, and turn heating up, rather than putting on a cardy etc). She doesn't at this winters rates -  her first late autumn bill was a good reminder not to.

Sure read somewhere in Scottish press earlier in the crisis - that the average for electric in Scotland is higher than in South - was it 6000 or  maybe 7000 kWh ? - due in part to colder average ambient external temperatures - about 3 deg C colder in North over the year - and the longer heating season. 
    So whilst 4200 kWh might be pie in the sky territory for many - 10000+ still seems high.

Good luck with resolving things.
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 523
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A lot of this repeats @Scot_39's questions in post 5, and whoever asked WHERE DID IT ALL START TO GO WRONG?

I definitely don't understand your son's metering setup, but we're also trying to fill in many many gaps. 

What deemed tariff was your son on when he first moved in? Was that with EON Next? If not, did he get correct bills from his previous supplier? 

What was the fix called with EON Next? 

What "standard tariff" did he ask to be put on after the fix ended?

Was it a single rate Next Flex, or E7 Next Flex, or a more complex tariff if he's always submitted 3 separate readings (day, night and off peak)? 

Or did he just assume he'd be billed on the correct complex tariff? 

Sanity check here, that meter reading A + B does not equal C (hoping to lower 11000kwh of usage). 

Now to his usage... he's been billed previously for the 1200kwh, which is the day + night readings. 

They have now cancelled old bills, and re-billed him for the 1200 (day + night) + 9800 (off peak) that had been missed off, making the approx 11000kwh total we see in the bills on page 4?

So we may* have a back billing issue, and the fact that they've now billed him for everything at a single standard variable rate, instead of on a multi-rate tariff?

*I don't fully understand back billing, so that's for the ombudsman to decide upon. 

I've bombarded you with questions, as the ombudsman might need answers to all of that, laid out in a logical order. 

We're still asking these questions, and we're on page 6 of the thread. 

• Fofozuzu
    First Post
    Forumite
    I am putting together all bills, contracts, rates to make some sense out of all this. Thanks 
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,514
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    @Fofozuzu you do realise you've posted personally identifying information there?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 July 2023 at 9:24AM
    The fixed tariff expired on the 7th May 2022. He would have been notified that the fixed tariff was coming to an end by the supplier. Either through inaction or personal choice, he has been moved on to the supplier’s SVT.  The issue here is that £16.09 a month was never going to cover his 2022 standing charge never mind his usage. 

I see no evidence here to suggest that the supplier has done anything wrong. The bills are based on customer readings and the supplier is only required to obtain a reading once every 12 months. Direct debits are only payments made on account. Consumers should monitor their debit and credit balances and if necessary contact the supplier to up their monthly payment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback