Eon billing

Comments

• CAB have massively over-simplified and even that first line doesn't apply here.

I agree. The supplier has a duty to raise a corrected bill for the whole of the period since the consumer last had a bill based on an actual meter reading. If BackBilling is to be applied then the supplier will estimate a meter reading for a year previous to the billing date. It will then write off all charges for the period tyst BackBilling applies to. However, as indicated above, the write off of charges can be offset by the amount of money paid during the write off period.

For example, if the supplier writes off £1000 of charges but the consumer has paid £900 during the write-off period then the benefit to the consumer will only be £100. The aim of BackBilling is solely to prevent bill shock.

The use of meter readings is covered in Standard Licence Conditions. However, some suppliers have fixed billing dates. If, for example, I gave a meter reading on the 20th and my billing date is the 31st, then a supplier can, and often will, use an estimated reading for the 31st based on a calculation from the actual meter given on the 29th. Zog, if I recall, used to do this: this could be avoided by giving Zog an actual meter reading on the last day of the month.

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,736
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It probably doesn't apply in this case, but back billing protection isn't as comprehensive as many people think.  It's designed to prevent a sudden demand for an extra payment to be made for consumption more than 12 months ago.
    However, if the account is sufficiently in credit then they can gobble it up.
    Another good reason for paying the whole bill by Monthly Variable Direct Debit !
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,960
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @Fozozuzu Could you possibly post copies of some of the bills please - the very first, the Feb 2023 showing a credit of £250 and the very latest would be good - make sure your bank out the names and addresses on every page.

Bills of £100+ a month are quite likely.  £7.16 is a most odd figure - usually they are whole numbers.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,528
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 July 2023 at 2:15PM
    Robin9 said:
    £7.16 is a most odd figure - usually they are whole numbers.
    With Eon Next my recommended DD is £xx.50p and my daughter's £xx.69p.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,528
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 July 2023 at 2:21PM
    Hi,
    why has he two meters and only one in flat, how does he get access to the other one to provide readings?

2 meters was never mentioned.  They have 2 MPANs and are on a complex metering system for electric heating, fairly common in some places especially Scotland.  There could of course be 2 meters, again fairly common in these situations.

• Fofozuzu
    Fofozuzu Posts: 62
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for all your help 
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,672
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    @Fozozuzu Could you possibly post copies of some of the bills please - the very first, the Feb 2023 showing a credit of £250 and the very latest would be good - make sure your bank out the names and addresses on every page.

Bills of £100+ a month are quite likely.  £7.16 is a most odd figure - usually they are whole numbers.

The OP is aware that the £7.16 is an odd figure - he has already said it doesn't even cover one of the 2 standing charges.

If by odd you just mean not rounded - EOnNext seem to set them literally to get to as close to zero - after 12 months as their predicted costs say they will bill you.  My Apr to Apr 24 year end figure credit - that I estimated using - their estimated use cost - credit - 12x revised DD = 5p iirc - suggesting they may in fact set to nearest penny.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    molerat said:
    Hi,
    why has he two meters and only one in flat, how does he get access to the other one to provide readings?

2 meters was never mentioned. 
    sorry, misread this bit in original post, "Even getting 2 daily meters charges( only one meter in the flat)".

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,960
    Forumite
    Scot_39 said:

The OP is aware that the £7.16 is an odd figure - he has already said it doesn't even cover one of the 2 standing charges.

If by odd you just mean not rounded - EOnNext seem to set them literally to get to as close to zero - .................
    I did mean not rounded.

I hope OP does come back with some detailed info. It is often difficult to get a complete picture when the OP is the person in the middle.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Fofozuzu
    Fofozuzu Posts: 62
    First Post
    Forumite

Just to give an idea of the task ahead

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts