Eon billing

Comments

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,686
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I never asked the recent poster on a 3 rate 1 meter deal whether he had two MPANs or not - but he didn't come back with the tariff name anyway.

But the web page says they are not going to support much longer.  Doesn't say what the replacement is.
  • Fofozuzu
    Fofozuzu Posts: 62
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the help, we did provide the readings, we got bills , we do have storage heaters who probably cost a fortune.
    my points are really 
    why sending bills from may 2022 as the regulation says no more than 12 months backdated 
    why 2 meters charges when there is only one meter in the property and adding £200/year for no reason 
    why charging a direct debit of £7.16 per month ( which doesn’t cover one meter monthly charge) and receiving 3 readings every month AND NEVER ISSSUING A BILL OR CONTACTING CUSTOMER OR INCREASING A DD FOR 23 months showing only estimates readings when customer readings have been sent every month and tell him £250 in credit after 23 months and in space of 3 months going to £2500/4000/4500/9800/5800 in debit 
    HOW DO YOU EXPECT A 24 years old to understand and WHERE EON RESPONSIBILITIES LIES.
     Thanks 
  • CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Posts: 1,792
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fofozuzu said:

why sending bills from may 2022 as the regulation says no more than 12 months backdated 

That's not what the regulation says.

Fofozuzu said:

why 2 meters charges when there is only one meter in the property and adding £200/year for no reason 

If there are 3 rates, this could mean 2 MPANs, which can mean two standing charges.  You might be able to challenge this or move to a 2-rate tariff.

Fofozuzu said:
     AND NEVER ISSSUING A BILL OR CONTACTING CUSTOMER OR INCREASING A DD FOR 23 months 
    How was he in credit by £250 (?? it was £120 in the first post ??) if there was no bill and no contact with the customer?  You also say in your first line "we did provide the readings, we got bills"?

Fofozuzu said:
     £250 in credit after 23 months and in space of 3 months going to £2500/4000/4500/9800/5800 in debit 

That's often what happens when an accurate bill is produced after a long period of estimates.

Fofozuzu said:

HOW DO YOU EXPECT A 24 years old to understand 
    I would expect a 24-year-old to understand that £7.16 per month is not likely to be an appropriate cost for their entire home energy consumption.  I would also expect a 24-year-old to know whether or not they had a bill for nearly two years.

Fofozuzu said:
    WHERE EON RESPONSIBILITIES LIES.

To produce an accurate bill when they receive accurate information.  To fix old bills when they receive more accurate information.

As we have been telling you from the start - work out what the correct bill should be.  Then you have a position to argue from.  If they have got it wrong, you can argue.  At the moment everyone is just having to guess whether they are right or wrong (and by how much and when any mistake happened).
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,664
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fofozuzu said:
    HOW DO YOU EXPECT A 24 years old to understand and WHERE EON RESPONSIBILITIES LIES.
    A 24-year-old has, in law, been an adult for 6 years. They should be able to take responsibilities for the basics of life, which include being able to read a utility bill, understand the content and challenge any errors.
    24-year-olds own homes, raise children and run businesses.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Fofozuzu
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the sympathy and understanding of the last messages qrizB and csi  Yorkshire , appreciate greatly being given a lecture. Not everyone is as bright ,smart ,intelligent,entrepreneur, and all the rest of your amazing talents that I don’t know about . No offence. I made a mistake when I wrote credit of £250 I meant £120/150 as previously. I reapeat for maybe the slowest ones, he provided accurate readings and only got estimated bills so what he was supposed to do, The direct debit wasn’t set by himself he was told on taking on board we will increase accordingly,
    citizen advice bureau told us that it is their responsibility to bill accurately and can’t go back to more than 12 months in arrears, ofgem littérature mentioned something of the sort also.
    i was only was asking for comments or advice which some provided kindly , but for some we are getting some unhelpful comments, ( what next ,at 16 you can fight for your country,you can vote, you can get married and so on so why not at 24).
    i will apologies in front for my poor English vocabulary,grammar  before getting picked on,
    maybe I will stay out of this forum in future.
  • CSI_Yorkshire
    Forumite
    What he was supposed to do is to see that there were estimates on the bill and contact the supplier to ask why they hadn't used the accurate customer supplied readings.  There's even a specific bit of the supplier's licence that says they have to use customer readings when they are supplied - if that's your issue then we can point you to the rule you should throw at the supplier.

There is an expectation though that an adult should pay a little more attention to their bills than waiting nearly 2 years to address the problem.  He could have complained to the supplier after the first month where they didn't use his reading.  He could have asked friends, family, or neighbours how big their bills were (then found out it was more than £7) and asked the supplier why his direct debit was so low.

This has become a massive problem because it's basically been ignored for 2 years - the earlier problems are found, the easier they are to fix.

You are not "getting picked on".  You have raised specific questions like "why two meter charges" and "why has the bill gone from £250 credit to £5800 debt" and have been given answers.  You might not like the answers, but unfortunately some of these things are factual.

What to do now, like we have said, is to work out what the truth is.  If the truth is that he has used £6000 of electricity in the last 12 months, then that is what he will need to pay.  If the truth is that he has used £600 of electricity in the last 12 months, then you need to argue and get the bill changed.

When you know what the truth is, and what (if anything) the supplier has actually done wrong, raise a formal written complaint to the supplier to make them fix it.  If they don't, take your evidence to the Energy Ombudsman,
  • Fofozuzu
    First Post
    Forumite

You haven't received an electricity bill in 2 years.

You call your supplier and ask them to send you a bill. You give them an up-to-date meter reading.

Your supplier sends you a bill, charging you for 2 years' energy use.

You write them a letter stating that you're aware of the back billing rules and that you should only have to pay for the last year's energy use.

Your supplier sends you a new bill, charging you for only 1 year's use.

Copied from citizens advice bureau. Thanks 

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    why has he two meters and only one in flat, how does he get access to the other one to provide readings?

• CSI_Yorkshire
    Forumite
    Fofozuzu said:

You haven't received an electricity bill in 2 years.

You call your supplier and ask them to send you a bill. You give them an up-to-date meter reading.

Your supplier sends you a bill, charging you for 2 years' energy use.

You write them a letter stating that you're aware of the back billing rules and that you should only have to pay for the last year's energy use.

Your supplier sends you a new bill, charging you for only 1 year's use.

Copied from citizens advice bureau. Thanks 

CAB have massively over-simplified and even that first line doesn't apply here.  You said that there were bills, just that they were based on estimated readings.

If you're really interested in the back-billing regulations, they are here:  https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-03/Electricity Supply Standard Consolidated Licence Conditions - Current.pdf

It's condition 21BA that mainly covers back-billing.

For the other bit I mentioned - the "supplier shall use the customer's reading" bit - that's condition 21B.1 and 21B.2
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,664
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fofozuzu said:
    Thanks for the sympathy and understanding of the last messages qrizB and csi  Yorkshire appreciate greatly being given a lecture.
    No problems. It's usually better to teach someone how to solve their problem, rather than solve it for them. That way they know what to do if it happens again.
    What we really need now is the details of your son's meter readings. What the meters read when he moved in, what they read now and what they have read at points in-between. We can then help him understand how much electricity he has used, how much it has cost and what happens next.
    If your son is able to post here himself, we can explain all this to him directly. It might be more effective than hearing everything second-hand?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback