🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Economy 7 and ending of RTS (Radio Teleswitch Service)

Options

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    arlowood said:
    My estimated usage is 1853.6kWh in the daytime rate and 432.3kWh at night. So less than 20% of my total annual electricity usage is at the Night rate
    Thanks for the info. You've done well on a fixed-rate tariff and have avoided last winter's price spike.
    In my region, for DD payment, and using EDF's rate card applicable from October (So Energy is likely to have a different E7 day/night split) I get:
    • E7: 1853.6kWh x 36.54p/kWh + 432.3kWh x 12.43p/kWh + 365 x 49.98p/day = £913.47
    • Single-rate: (1853..6 + 432.3) x 27.51 + 365 x 49.98 = £811.28
    So switching from an E7 tariff to a single-rate one could save you about £100 per year.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • suzeby
    Options

Looking to the experts on here for advice please. I have had emails from EDF informing me of the RTS switch off in March 2024. I do not want or need a smart meter (please no comments on the why's and wherefors... I've read plenty of those). I have asked EDF to explain to me EXACTLY what will happen when RTS happens and this is their reply:

"The meter would not be able to receive signal to give out readings or record any reading so will have to be changed. We can install a smart meter but disable the smart functionalities but you will have to be on a single rate."

I currently have day and night recordings and have told them I want to continue to read the meter myself and send readings as I do now each month on line.

Can anyone please say if what they are telling me is actually true?

Here  are photos of my installation .What I find odd is that the on/off switch on the RT seems to be in the off position.

Any help would be appreciated.

• suzeby said:

Looking to the experts on here for advice please. I have had emails from EDF informing me of the RTS switch off in March 2024. I do not want or need a smart meter (please no comments on the why's and wherefors... I've read plenty of those). I have asked EDF to explain to me EXACTLY what will happen when RTS happens and this is their reply:

"The meter would not be able to receive signal to give out readings or record any reading so will have to be changed. We can install a smart meter but disable the smart functionalities but you will have to be on a single rate."

I currently have day and night recordings and have told them I want to continue to read the meter myself and send readings as I do now each month on line.

Can anyone please say if what they are telling me is actually true?

Here  are photos of my installation .What I find odd is that the on/off switch on the RT seems to be in the off position.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you do not believe EDF then read this from Ofgem dated April 23.

As your metering system is deemed to be end-of-life, you can no longer decline a smart meter. The Ofgem guidance to suppliers changed in 2019.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2023 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
    EDF's reply is total tosh, just scaremongering to promote smart meters.  All that's likely to happen is that the switching times might drift slightly.  The meter is certified for 25 years so does not need to be replaced until January 2029.
    That said, you may find it difficult to keep E7 without a meter change.  There's no reason why they couldn't fit a refurbished non-smart meter, but EDF aren't known for being outstandingly customer friendly.
    You could investigate getting your own meter and having it fitted
    The RTS unit will show OFF until it switches on the E7 circuits around midnight.  It's worth knowing the E7 cheap rate times because all usage is cheaper then.
  • Gerry1 said:
    Welcome to the forum.
    EDF's reply is total tosh, just scaremongering to promote smart meters.  All that's likely to happen is that the switching times might drift slightly.  The meter is certified for 25 years so does not need to be replaced until January 2029.
    That said, you may find it difficult to keep E7 without a meter change.  There's no reason why they couldn't fit a refurbished non-smart meter, but EDF aren't known for being outstandingly customer friendly.
    You could investigate getting your own meter and having it fitted
    The RTS unit will show OFF until it switches on the E7 circuits around midnight.  It's worth knowing the E7 cheap rate times because all usage is cheaper then.
    From the same Ofgem letter to suppliers:

The consumer saying ‘no’ is not regarded as a reasonable excuse for not fitting a smart meter when the existing smart meter is deemed to be end-of-life. It has got nothing to do with suppliers not being ‘customer friendly’: most are facing fines for failing to achieve their agreed smart meter rollout targets.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well my flabber has been well and truly gasted.

Just received an email from So Energy with the following content:-

"We’re Sorry for Sending You the Incorrect Email
    Hi ,
    You may have accidentally received an email from us regarding your electricity meter needing to be replaced.
    We do apologise for any inconvenience caused. Unless you have previously been contacted regarding the BBC RTS switch off, please kindly disregard our email.
    If you have already booked a smart meter appointment with us, if you wish, you can cancel this without charge via your online account.
    Kind regards,
    The So Energy Team"

It would seem that they have now decided/realised that my current electricity meter (see my post dated September 12th on page 12 of this thread) does not fall under the category that is affected by the BBC RTS switch off. This email was received about 30 mins after another insisting that I needed  to book an appointment to have my meter replaced with a new Smart Meter.

I think in total I have been sent about 30 "accidental" emails over the past 8 to 9 months or so but I am pleased that they have now admitted the error of their ways.

I'm sure my meter may well become technically obsolete in the next couple of years but until then I am happy to stick with it and send them online readings as necessary.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can the certification period of your meter 

Legally, the meter is owned by a Meter Asset Provider and suppliers are free to change meters whenever they want.

• Freddy42
    Options
    arlowood said:
    Well my flabber has been well and truly gasted.

Just received an email from So Energy with the following content:-

"We’re Sorry for Sending You the Incorrect Email
    Hi ,
    You may have accidentally received an email from us regarding your electricity meter needing to be replaced.
    We do apologise for any inconvenience caused. Unless you have previously been contacted regarding the BBC RTS switch off, please kindly disregard our email.
    If you have already booked a smart meter appointment with us, if you wish, you can cancel this without charge via your online account.
    Kind regards,
    The So Energy Team"

It would seem that they have now decided/realised that my current electricity meter (see my post dated September 12th on page 12 of this thread) does not fall under the category that is affected by the BBC RTS switch off. This email was received about 30 mins after another insisting that I needed  to book an appointment to have my meter replaced with a new Smart Meter.

I think in total I have been sent about 30 "accidental" emails over the past 8 to 9 months or so but I am pleased that they have now admitted the error of their ways.

I'm sure my meter may well become technically obsolete in the next couple of years but until then I am happy to stick with it and send them online readings as necessary.
    I had the same emails from SO at about the same time as you, also the previous exhortations to change to a smart meter.  They are the masters of confusion.
    My setup is the same as suzeby's except the Siemens meter is dated 2000, so presumably due for change.  If the RT signal suddenly disappears while the meter is on day rate, will it continue to record at the day rate regardless?
    At 81, I can do without all this aggro!
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Freddy42 said:
    My setup is the same as suzeby's except the Siemens meter is dated 2000, so presumably due for change.  If the RT signal suddenly disappears while the meter is on day rate, will it continue to record at the day rate regardless?
    By design, it should remember its switching times and switch as intended.
    However, if it has developed a fault that's currently being masked by the RTS signal (eg. a clock fault or memory failure) it could stop switching.
    This is relatively unlikely but you won't know about it until the RTS signals stop, at which point you'll be in the queue with everyone else wanting their meter swapped.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure