Economy 7 and ending of RTS (Radio Teleswitch Service)

Options
SWAMP_MAN
SWAMP_MAN Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 14 December 2022 at 11:34AM in Energy
I currently have a digital Economy 7 meter.
My energy supplier (Shell) make the following statement on their website.
"In March 2023 RTS meters will lose their functionality. This is because the radio teleswitch that controls the meters will be switched off. This may affect some homes where the electrical circuits may not switch on electric heating systems once the service is turned off. It may also affect the meter's ability to record usage correctly against the peak and off peak rate."
The electrical circuits controlled by RTS do not apply to me. As you can see they say it MAY affect the meter's ability to correctly read between peak and off peak rates.
I like many others are reluctant to have a smart meter fitted, Shell have even told me that the current meter is coming to the end of its life, it has been in for 13 years and according to the manufacturer it has a lifespan of 20 years!
Are other forum members facing the same situation or aware of RTS being extended beyond March?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 September 2022 at 2:03PM
    Options
    Ofgem letter to all energy suppliers dated March 2022:

Quote:

Radio Tele Switch

Currently the technology which operates the Radio Tele Switch meters (RTS) is scheduled to be switched off in March 2023. We are aware many suppliers already have a suitable meter in place for these customers, however we are also aware of some wider issues. We fully expect all of industry to be proactively working towards solutions to any potential barriers so that consumers are not left exposed to any potential detriment.

Energy suppliers are obligated to ensure all customers have appropriate metering arrangements in place and suppliers should be working hard to ensure all customers with traditional RTS meters are offered a smart meter prior to the switch off. If a workable industry solution cannot be reached in a timely manner prior to the cut-off date, then we would expect mitigating arrangements be prepared and implemented well in advance of this date.

Unquote

A supplier has a legal right to fit a smart meter if IT deems the meter in place to be end-of-life. It is not just a question of certification, it could be the ability to support the meter. If you decline your supplier’s RTS fix, then you may be left struggling with a single rate tariff.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a digital meter with no circuit switching.  Everything is done on timers.   So, not an issue for me, but I had heard about this.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given that smart meter penetration is still barely at 50%, logic dictates that half the installed base of RTS E7 meters are still in use, and I can't see that situation changing much in the next 6 months, whatever Ofgem might pontificate. What 'mitigating arrangements' are they actually suggesting?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'll be watching this one with interest as I think it may affect things for us. We have a digital E7 meter with separate circuits for the main electrics and the "overnight only" stuff. Currently wary of getting a smart  meter as being with a smaller supplier, the risk of them going pop and us being SOLR'd to British Gas is always a concern... 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • macman
    Options
    Why would a change of supplier affect your smart metering? A new meter would be SMETS2 and should work with any change of supplier.
    By a 'digital'meter, do you mean an RTS meter, or a conventional clockwork meter?
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 September 2022 at 4:07PM
    Options
    macman said:
    Why would a change of supplier affect your smart metering? A new meter would be SMETS2 and should work with any change of supplier.
    By a 'digital'meter, do you mean an RTS meter, or a conventional clockwork meter?
    The problem is specifically with British Gas, for some reason they remain incapable of handling a E7 smart meter...
    Causes a lot of problems every time someone with an E7 smart meter gets transferred there via a SoLR process...

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    MWT said:
    macman said:
    The problem is specifically with British Gas, for some reason they remain incapable of handling a E7 smart meter...
    Causes a lot of problems every time someone with an E7 smart meter gets transferred there via a SoLR process...

Yep - exactly this. It's a reasonably well known issue on here, although not out in the wide world I suspect! Hence our concerns - if GE did fail and BG were appointed the SOLR it would be hassle we wouldn't need, I'd sooner be cautious unless we reach the point where the meter has to be replaced. 

macman said:
    I've realised now I'm doing more looking into it that I don't know, although I believe there should be something on the meter itself that makes it clear. I originally (and erroneously) assumed that it would just be remaining older style anologue meters that would be affected by this change until I saw something that  made it very clear that wasn't the case! I'm investigate further.

(And see above re the metering issue and BG - I'm far from being a Smart Meter avoider and I'm well aware that SMETS2 meters transfer happily enough in normal circumstances - if we were already with one of the "big" suppliers then I'd have gone that route already, but I'm quite frankly not willing to take the risk currently unless I have to!)

🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    macman said:
    I've realised now I'm doing more looking into it that I don't know, although I believe there should be something on the meter itself that makes it clear.
    Post a photo of your meter and any associated wiring leading to your consumer unit(s) and we can tell you :)

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • davew62
    Options

dunstonh said:
    I have a digital meter with no circuit switching.  Everything is done on timers.   So, not an issue for me, but I had heard about this.

How do you know when your off-peak supply is so that you can set your timers?

• macman
    edited 26 September 2022 at 6:50PM
    Options
    davew62 said:

dunstonh said:

How do you know when your off-peak supply is so that you can set your timers?

It varies by DNO, there is a list somewhere that I'm sure someone will link to. Typically 12.30pm to 7.30am. with an hour's shift during BST, as the clockwork meter can't compensate for that.
    An RTS meter will be 100% accurate, as it switches on receipt of the radio signal.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure