Economy 7 and ending of RTS (Radio Teleswitch Service)

Options

Comments

• Geoff48
    Options
    For me and many others it is not a matter of choice, my house is unsuitable for any of the single band 'smart' meters being installed.  The suitable Dual Band meter that has been approved is yet to be rolled-out.   Until the suppliers have met the HMG targets, there is no incentive as they are more expensive.

I believe the issue is the same for many who live in appartment blocks.

As I can’t post links, you’ll have to google SMARTDCC and search for DUAL BAND HUBS.

• stewie_griffin
    Options
    Plenty of dual band communication hubs have been installed. I believe they’re currently waiting for ALT-HAN to be rolled out.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 December 2022 at 9:43AM
    Options
    This will be affected yes? It's in the flat I'm buying.
    Grateful to this thread. Specifically went back to look at the meter yesterday. 

Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2022 at 9:47AM
    Options

Yes, just get swapped for an E7 smart meter and make sure you tell the installer 10 times if you have storage heaters. Also test they don't come on before they leave and stay up late to confirm the switch over time.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Swipe said:

Yes, just get swapped for an E7 smart meter and make sure you tell the installer 10 times if you have storage heaters and test they don't come on before they leave
    Thanks. There are storage heaters and an e7 thermal store for DHW. Not sure who the supplier is yet. Hope it's not British Gas 
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    Just looking for some clarification about the headline for this thread.

According to EDF website, the planned switch off date is 31 March 2024 and NOT 31 March 2023.

Does anyone know for certain which date is correct?

If it is 31 March 2024, could mods please kindly amend the heading?

• Just looking for some clarification about the headline for this thread.

According to EDF website, the planned switch off date is 31 March 2024 and NOT 31 March 2023.

Does anyone know for certain which date is correct?

If it is 31 March 2024, could mods please kindly amend the heading?

Most supplier websites are still quoting 31 March 2023. The latest Ofgem letter that I can find states the following:

‘Radio Tele Switch

Currently the technology which operates the Radio Tele Switch meters (RTS) is scheduled to be switched off in March 2023. We are aware many suppliers already have a suitable meter in place for these customers, however we are also aware of some wider issues. We fully expect all of industry to be proactively working towards solutions to any potential barriers so that consumers are not left exposed to any potential detriment.
    Energy suppliers are obligated to ensure all customers have appropriate metering arrangements in place and suppliers should be working hard to ensure all customers with traditional RTS meters are offered a smart meter prior to the switch off. If a workable industry solution cannot be reached in a timely manner prior to the cut-off date, then we would expect mitigating arrangements be prepared and implemented well in advance of this date.’

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 December 2022 at 1:39PM
    Options
    I am not disputing that most energy-related changes tend to get pushed to the right: all I pointing out is that EDF appears to be a lone voice on the subject. The ‘current status’ in this link also suggests 31 Mar 23:

https://www.energynetworks.org/industry-hub/engineering-and-technical-programmes/radio-teleswitch

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback