Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,536 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    IanManc said:
    WillPS said:
    WillPS said:
    According to https://www.amazon.co.uk/credit/creditcard-rewards  Amazon are to launch a new credit card.
    rumours are that its barclays who they will partner with but thats probably only because they already use them for the monthly payments for higher value purchases. 

Surely Amex, who already issue their corporate credit cards, is a more likely candidate?
    good point i wouldn't be surprised to see Amex get it i still think its more likely barclays but thats just because Amex can be abit picky when it comes to customers

If its the volume of customers amazon want to increase then its more likely barclays or even a smaller company like jaja who have just released an asda credit card.  It will probably be launching this year if newday amazon credit close by november.

They won't want to miss out on the christmas trade so the launch will be this year imo

My gut is that if volume was their primary concern they wouldn't have dropped NewDay as they're one of the more accommodating lenders.
    According to reporting by MSE Which and The Motley Fool at the time it was New Day who dropped Amazon:

Amazon Classic and Platinum credit cards will be scrapped from January 2023 – here’s what you need to know (moneysavingexpert.com)

Amazon credit cards to change from January 2023 - Which? News

Amazon credit cards to be axed: here are other ways to earn cashback at Amazon | The Motley Fool UK

The Which article says that New Day announced in March 2022 that they had "issued a notice of termination" to Amazon.

Interesting, thank you. Presumably not profitable enough then, or maybe they wanted the JL base more and knew they couldn't adequately support both.
  • ikr2
    ikr2 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Amazon card has been a (non AMEX) leader for cashback on Amazon purchases at 1.5%. I'll be closing mine on 11th November but will look at Amazon's new card to see if it is as good for cashback on Amazon purchases.
  • WillPS
    Options
    ikr2 said:
    The Amazon card has been a (non AMEX) leader for cashback on Amazon purchases at 1.5%. I'll be closing mine on 11th November but will look at Amazon's new card to see if it is as good for cashback on Amazon purchases.

You can probably do way better than 1.5% effective cashback with a little bit of planning and forward preparation. Your payment method on Amazon won't be a credit card tho, it'll be gift cards...
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    WillPS said:
    ikr2 said:

You can probably do way better than 1.5% effective cashback with a little bit of planning and forward preparation. Your payment method on Amazon won't be a credit card tho, it'll be gift cards...

If you have a mobile network compatible with Airtime Rewards app, you can get 4% on gift cards at certain retailers, three of which are Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons atm (in my app) all of whom sell Amazon Gift Cards.

I do have a promo code for newbies, but I think it would be frowned upon to be shared in this thread.
  • WillPS
    Options
    WillPS said:
    ikr2 said:

If you have a mobile network compatible with Airtime Rewards app, you can get 4% on gift cards at certain retailers, three of which are Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons atm (in my app) all of whom sell Amazon Gift Cards.

I do have a promo code for newbies, but I think it would be frowned upon to be shared in this thread.
    Yep, this is one such option. Sometimes you might even find that you can get multiple cashback rewards for the same purchase if you stack-em-up.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2022 at 7:43PM
    Options
    I've received my email. The PDF letter had some F&Qs and I guess people's question about points:

"What happens to my Amazon Reward Points? You will continue to earn Amazon reward points until 11th November 2022. Your points balance will be converted to a gift card and loaded to your Amazon account by the end of December 2022. 8. Will the closure and changes to my account have any impact on my credit rating"

I'm no where neat the 1000 points, but it be nice if anything less than this was converted.
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    I hit exactly 1000 points and stopped using the card. 

Just waiting for my gift code now. Due after next statement. 
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deutsch said:
    I've received my email. The PDF letter had some F&Qs and I guess people's question about points:

"What happens to my Amazon Reward Points? You will continue to earn Amazon reward points until 11th November 2022. Your points balance will be converted to a gift card and loaded to your Amazon account by the end of December 2022. 8. Will the closure and changes to my account have any impact on my credit rating"

I'm no where neat the 1000 points, but it be nice if anything less than this was converted.
    i think thats what alot of people thought it meant any lower amount than the usual 1000 points would be converted into a voucher too
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It's my understanding that anything under 1000 will be converted to a gift card. The term "points balance" implies that. 
  • gohardecent
    Options
    Can anyone post a link for the existing discussion?  I've searched but have not found it.

Edit found it, didn't search for a pulse the first time and Amazon isn't in the title.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback