Oh dear Asda Mobile increasing prices from 26 September

Comments

• Geoff_W
    Geoff_W Posts: 232
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    victor2 said:
    Or, if Asda suits your needs otherwise and you rarely use it. Just top-up £5 once every 180 days to keep it alive. Annoying that they will charge 15p/minute if you do make a call, but at £10 per year, it still isn't so bad. 
    Can donate the extra credit to a charity or enter a competition by SMS...

Not true, you don't have to top-up £5 every 180 days - just make a chargeable call or text within the period.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to "Got a question about topping up?" and select "Does my top-up expire?"

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    edited 9 August 2022 at 11:51AM
    Geoff_W said:
    victor2 said:
    Or, if Asda suits your needs otherwise and you rarely use it. Just top-up £5 once every 180 days to keep it alive. Annoying that they will charge 15p/minute if you do make a call, but at £10 per year, it still isn't so bad. 
    Can donate the extra credit to a charity or enter a competition by SMS...

Not true, you don't have to top-up £5 every 180 days - just make a chargeable call or text within the period.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to "Got a question about topping up?" and select "Does my top-up expire?"

I was basing my comment on this statement from their FAQs:
    After 180 days without topping-up or purchasing a bundle your account will become restricted and you won't be able to make calls, send texts or use data, however you will still be able to receive inbound calls and texts.
    Edit: It does conflict with their other advice on topping up though...
    You must make a chargeable call or text every 180 days to keep your number fully active.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Another FAQ answer:

For your account credit to remain active you must top-up or purchase a bundle within 180 days of activating your account (i.e. when you first made a call, sent a text or used data) or your last top-up or bundle purchase.

• There has recently been a price war between Lebara and Lyca, offering really cheap rates, presumably as a loss leader to grab business from the big players. I think 1p per month must be as low as it can go.

• Anybody received a refund yet?
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not me, no :(
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • 3wheels
    3wheels Posts: 23
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Anybody received a refund yet?
    Yeah.. 😁 I finally received an e-voucher this morning to use in Asda for the value of my remaining credit.
    Took a full nine working days but got it in the end, just in time to port my number onto my new Lebra SIM (1p a month 👍🏻). 
  • 3wheels said:
    Yeah.. 😁 I finally received an e-voucher this morning to use in Asda for the value of my remaining credit.
    Took a full nine working days but got it in the end, just in time to port my number onto my new Lebra SIM (1p a month 👍🏻). 
    Please report back on how that port to Lebara goes.
  • 3wheels
    3wheels Posts: 23
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    3wheels said:
    Please report back on how that port to Lebara goes.
    Well the Lebara SIM didn't arrive until Friday, popped it into my phone and it worked straight away. Filled in the online request with PAC to transfer my number from Asda (simple) and was told next working day (Monday).
    Monday morning my Asda SIM died but the number didn't become live on Lebara until early afternoon so bit of a wait but otherwise great 👍🏻. 
    So far so good 😁. 
  • Unhappy with the ASDA mobile forthcoming PAYG price increases, I logged in to request a refund only to read it comes in the form of a GIFT CARD. I don't shop at ASDA as the nearest store is 10 miles away. I phoned their CS to simply ask why there is no option for a cash refund since a gift card is a credit, not a refund. After subjecting me to an unnecessary 3rd degree round of security questions the answer was 'gift card only'. Not happy with this as everything I have read online refers to a 'refund' which I interpret as returning the available account balance in cash. Reading some of the other posts here, I also have the RWG £5 card: I phoned them to verify it truly is 50 free minutes and texts renewed each month 'indefinitely'. I daresay they could change the T&Cs at some point in the future but, for me on an 'emergency' backup phone, it is a no-brainer for now. Has any one succeeded in getting a cash refund out of ASDA?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback