MSE News: Households to get £400 boost to help with rising energy bills

Options

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat said:
    All the details of how the payments will be made / split and eligibility here

Thanks for the link. It seems my cost of living payment will be made by "Direct debit" Not sure how that will work!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Nickcl
    Nickcl Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    We live in a Park Home where the site owners' are the site's electric supply account holders. They read the meters and we pay them every month. Therefore we do not have a direct debit with the electricity company. Are we going to miss out on the £400?
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nickcl said:
    We live in a Park Home where the site owners' are the site's electric supply account holders. They read the meters and we pay them every month. Therefore we do not have a direct debit with the electricity company. Are we going to miss out on the £400?
    Looks like it, it will go to the named person on the account 
  • General_Confusion
    Options
    Could some please explain to me what the difference is between income based benefits and contribution based benefits?

I'm trying to understand why I don't qualify for the payments on contribution based EESA.
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I presume this is not in addition to the £200 previously planned and this is now rolled into the £400 ( I did see was changed from ‘loan’ to grant )
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    RedImp_2 said:
    I presume this is not in addition to the £200 previously planned and this is now rolled into the £400 ( I did see was changed from ‘loan’ to grant )
    Correct. The £200 loan has been replaced by the £400 grant.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Nickcl said:
    I suspect so especially as park home will have a business contract for electricity so your supply is not domestic.

However under the previous £200 loan scheme that this £400 replaces they were going to look into it.
  • rangout
    rangout Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nickcl said:

I posted this last night. It doesn't look like it

Page 18 Households Without a Domestic Supply Contract

"Energy Bills Support Scheme Consultation

We are looking closely at how we will ensure that this Scheme reaches these groups most in
    need and will ensure logistical and technical accessibility to vulnerable customers. As part of
    the usual process, we will include considerations on the Public Sector Equality Duty in the final
    impact assessment which is due to be published in the summer.

This Scheme is part of a wider package of support, including the £150 Council Tax rebate for
    band A-D properties in England, which will benefit a higher proportion of households in
    vulnerable situations. In addition, the WHD aimed at those in, or at risk of, fuel poverty, is being
    expanded, and this sits alongside other targeted measures of support such as the Winter Fuel
    Payment and the Cold Weather Payment.

Implications of eligibility for the scheme

Electricity users who are not domestic customers
    Electricity users who are not domestic electricity customers are not eligible for the scheme.
    This is due to the delivery mechanism proposed and is in line with our high-level objectives to
    keep the scheme simple, and to minimise administrative costs.

Households without a domestic supply contract
    Not all households have their electricity provided through a domestic electricity supply contract,
    for example, residents of park homes. Households such as these do not have a direct
    relationship with a supplier. In these cases, the site owner or landlord has a commercial
    electricity supply contract, and residents are likely to be charged for electricity through a variety
    of arrangements. Most commonly, costs are included in the rental or service charge, while
    others may be able to sub-meter the supply and provide bills based on meter readings.
    However, in each situation, the supplier’s relationship is with the proprietor or owner of the site,
    as opposed to with the residents. Households without a domestic supply contract are therefore
    not eligible for this scheme, but we are exploring options for other ways in which they might
    receive similar support, outside of this consultation.

The government recognises that households without a domestic supply contract do not benefit
    from the same consumer protections as households with one. Government will work actively to
    address this at the next opportunity."

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Could some please explain to me what the difference is between income based benefits and contribution based benefits?

I'm trying to understand why I don't qualify for the payments on contribution based EESA.
    Income-based benefits are assessed on the total income and circumstances of the 'benefit unit' - you, your partner if applicable, any children, etc.  They also take into account any savings over £6,000 and a person is ineligible to claim if they have savings over £16,000.

Contribution-based are based on National Insurance contributions and ignore any savings, any other income, except pension income over (I believe) £85 per week.

However, if you get an income-related top-up on your cb-ESA, then I would assume you would be eligible for the £650 payment. 

ESA letters are notoriously difficult to understand so if you are unsure, you can either phone DWP to ask how your ESA award is made up, and/or ask for advice over on the benefits board https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/benefits-tax-credits
  • Maskface
    Maskface Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So yesterday they said the £650 payment would be made to Universal credit claimants in July. Now today Yahoo news says it will be paid in two installments, one in July the other in autumn. Can anyone clarify at all? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback