MSE News: Households to get £400 boost to help with rising energy bills

MSE_Sophie
MSE_Sophie Posts: 123 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post
edited 26 May 2022 at 1:15PM in Energy
Millions of households will get a non-repayable £400 grant to help with rising energy bills, Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced today (26 May) under a new £15 billion package of measures designed to tackle the cost of living crisis.

Read the full story:
Households to get £400 boost to help with rising energy bills

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,171 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    edited 26 May 2022 at 1:38PM
    Here's Martin Lewis's instant reaction to the Chancellor's announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCkv3jqHdM
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is the grant paid to the account with the supplier or to bank accounts? 

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    MoJo said:
    Is the grant paid to the account with the supplier or to bank accounts? 
    It depends which grant.
    Benefits dependant ones will be paid via the benefits system, the generic one will be paid via energy bills.
  • frizzz1
    frizzz1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Mojo  if you pay for your gas/leccy via direct debit  the £400 goes to your supplier who then adds it straight to your energy account  pre-payment meter customers get it directly added to there meters or a voucher to top up your gas/leccy key 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Rural communities (Wales, Scottish highlands and others) who don't only have heating oil will not get anything to cover this cost. Northern Island will. 

Cynical person would think that the tories need the Unionist MPs in a future election but don't need to keep SNP or PC voters happy
    They have electricity and will get the £400 via their electricity bill, the same as everyone else. 
  • rangout
    rangout Posts: 78 Forumite
    What about renters on a service charge?

My Housing Association pays the energy bills for the building, and the tenants pay them a set monthly charge. I take it people like that aren't eligible?
  • Rural communities (Wales, Scottish highlands and others) who don't only have heating oil will not get anything to cover this cost. Northern Island will. 

Cynical person would think that the tories need the Unionist MPs in a future election but don't need to keep SNP or PC voters happy
    They have electricity and will get the £400 via their electricity bill, the same as everyone else. 
    if someone had an electricity bill and also a gas bill would they get more? Announcement mentions every bill. If not then I'm happily wrong :)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2022 at 2:26PM
    Rural communities (Wales, Scottish highlands and others) who don't only have heating oil will not get anything to cover this cost. Northern Island will. 

if someone had an electricity bill and also a gas bill would they get more? Announcement mentions every bill. If not then I'm happily wrong :)
    From the .gov link I posted
    Energy suppliers will deliver this support to households with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October.

• MattMattMattUK
    rangout said:
    What about renters on a service charge?

My Housing Association pays the energy bills for the building, and the tenants pay them a set monthly charge. I take it people like that aren't eligible?
    People in that situation would not be eligible for the £400 grant as it stands. They would be eligible for any benefits related grants. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback