MSE News: Households to get £400 boost to help with rising energy bills

Options

Comments

• Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maskface said:
    Rishi Sunak has said cost of living support delivering hundreds of pounds to every household will have a "minimal impact" on inflation - and suggested those who do not need it could give the money to charity.

Would it not make more sense to just not give it to those who don't need it? Or is that far too obvious?
    Not everyone who is on benefits really need it. By that I mean pensioners. My parents live in sheltered accommodation & are on pension credit. Because if this they pay minimal rent & no council tax. The gas is included in rent/service charge so just pay electric which is about £30 per month. They will qualify for about £1400 worth of help. My son & his partner have a 4 year old, both work on just over minimal wage & don’t qualify for any benefits, their gas & electric is changing to £190 p/m they get £400. They need the money a lot more than my parents do & I’m sure there will be a lot more in both of these situations 
  • Maskface
    Maskface Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mobtr said:
    Maskface said:
    Rishi Sunak has said cost of living support delivering hundreds of pounds to every household will have a "minimal impact" on inflation - and suggested those who do not need it could give the money to charity.

Would it not make more sense to just not give it to those who don't need it? Or is that far too obvious?
    Not everyone who is on benefits really need it. By that I mean pensioners. My parents live in sheltered accommodation & are on pension credit. Because if this they pay minimal rent & no council tax. The gas is included in rent/service charge so just pay electric which is about £30 per month. They will qualify for about £1400 worth of help. My son & his partner have a 4 year old, both work on just over minimal wage & don’t qualify for any benefits, their gas & electric is changing to £190 p/m they get £400. They need the money a lot more than my parents do & I’m sure there will be a lot more in both of these situations 
    It just doesn't seem the best way to distribute it. But then I wonder how many wealthy pensioners who don't need the winter fuel payment donate it?
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 May 2022 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Controversial here it goes barring all the other amounts offered the £400 could have only gone to council tax Bands A-D as I still believe people in band E and above have choices they can make to downsize from a larger property where they would save on Council Tax, running costs and more. They choices than the lower bands.

We are a Band E and we have choices, tough choices to make but we have them.

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best way would be to only give money to those who need it. Now define who that is? And make that definition in the next few weeks, list those that need the money in a few weeks more and set up a way of administering this scheme in a few weeks on top. Say 2 months for the whole thing.  
    Its not going to happen.

In reality a simple system of bulk payments to various groups based on perceived need is the only way of getting the most help to the most people as quickly and cheaply as possible. Its not truly fair but its the fairest way of going about this. 

Darren

Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Mobtr
    Options
    Xbigman said:
    The best way would be to only give money to those who need it. Now define who that is? And make that definition in the next few weeks, list those that need the money in a few weeks more and set up a way of administering this scheme in a few weeks on top. Say 2 months for the whole thing.  
    Its not going to happen.

In reality a simple system of bulk payments to various groups based on perceived need is the only way of getting the most help to the most people as quickly and cheaply as possible. Its not truly fair but its the fairest way of going about this. 

Darren

Totally agree, it would take too long to figure out who needs it most & probably cost more. Like all things, there are winners & losers & no amount of moaning about who get what & who needs it more us going to change that. 
  • Mobtr said:
    Maskface said:

your parents could redistribute it to their grandson?
  • Mobtr
    Options
    Mobtr said:
    Maskface said:

Mobtr said:
    Maskface said:

Absolutely and they probably will. I was just highlighting how not all pensioners need this & how younger people probably do. My FIL will probably only get the £400 + the extra fuel allowance as he has a small private pension that takes him just over the threshold for pension credit, he gets a little housing & council tax benefit but still pays over £250 month rent & £1000 year council tax + gas & electric so lot worse off than my parents but will qualify for a lot less 
  • DrChrisE
    Options
    Hi,
    Will those who receive Council Tax Reduction (a means tested benefit) get the energy grants?
    Thanks
  • Mstty
    Options
    DrChrisE said:
    Hi,
    Will those who receive Council Tax Reduction (a means tested benefit) get the energy grants?
    Thanks
    Everyone gets the £400 regardless so that's every electricity paying customer in the country.
  • Mstty
    Options
    Don't forget the politicians with multiple homes all getting multiple £400 payments....not just limited to politicians but I suspect we will see a mass of "donating this to charity announcements"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback