MSE News: Households to get £400 boost to help with rising energy bills

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've posted similar elsewhere...but what of those customers who are not on duel fuel with a joint gas and electricity account, but still have credit meters on DD.   How many households does this effect?

Take the universal £400...

How flexible will electricity suppliers be and will they be happy to allow you to reduce your DD by, say, £66 per month for 6 months over winter, to then enable you to afford to increase your DD to your gas supplier by the same amount?

How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Maskface said:
    So yesterday they said the £650 payment would be made to Universal credit claimants in July. Now today Yahoo news says it will be paid in two installments, one in July the other in autumn. Can anyone clarify at all? 
    This is the official info.:

• DWP will make the payment in two lump sums – the first from July, the second in the autumn. Payments from HMRC for those on tax credits only will follow shortly after each to avoid duplicate payments.
    Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 May 2022 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Maskface said:
    So yesterday they said the £650 payment would be made to Universal credit claimants in July. Now today Yahoo news says it will be paid in two installments, one in July the other in autumn. Can anyone clarify at all? 
    Two instalments

• DWP will make the payment in two lump sums – the first from July, the second in the autumn. Payments from HMRC for those on tax credits only will follow shortly after each to avoid duplicate payments.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's an echo  :D.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    There's an echo  :D.
    Whoops!  I must have been typing while you posted.  Still, good to know we're both definitely posting correct information! :lol:
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could some please explain to me what the difference is between income based benefits and contribution based benefits?

I'm trying to understand why I don't qualify for the payments on contribution based EESA.

The government regards income-based benefits as the best indicator of real need.  That said this scheme includes PIP, apparently.  Hmm - don't understand the logic there!
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    polymaff said:
    Could some please explain to me what the difference is between income based benefits and contribution based benefits?

I'm trying to understand why I don't qualify for the payments on contribution based EESA.

The government regards income-based benefits as the best indicator of real need.  That said this scheme includes PIP, apparently.  Hmm - don't understand the logic there!
    PIP is in a separate category, determining eligibility for a £150 payment on the basis of disability.  This is separate from the £650 for people on means-tested benefits.
  • polymaff
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    I've posted similar elsewhere...but what of those customers who are not on dual fuel with a joint gas and electricity account, but still have credit meters on DD.   How many households does this affect?

How flexible will electricity suppliers be and will they be happy to allow you to reduce your DD by, say, £66 per month for 6 months over winter, to then enable you to afford to increase your DD to your gas supplier by the same amount?

1.  I doubt that you'll get an answer to that question.  Why not ask about one particular circumstance?
    2.  Why not automate this by asking your supplier to put you on variable DD?

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    polymaff said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    I've posted similar elsewhere...but what of those customers who are not on dual fuel with a joint gas and electricity account, but still have credit meters on DD.   How many households does this affect?

1.  I doubt that you'll get an answer to that question.  Why not ask about one particular circumstance?
    2.  Why not automate this by asking your supplier to put you on variable DD?

It was more of a general observation, based on problems some people are already having trying to get their DD reduced.    It could become critical if there ends up with £400 credit sitting on the "wrong" account, come winter.

It doesn't effect me personally, but that doesn't mean I'm not thinking of others.

I thought it might flag as a potential issue, for people to be aware of.   Just trying to help.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • polymaff
    edited 27 May 2022 at 5:44PM
    Options
    polymaff said:

PIP is in a separate category, determining eligibility for a £150 payment on the basis of disability.  This is separate from the £650 for people on means-tested benefits.

True, but you've answered the wrong question.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback