NST January 2022: Janus

NST January 2022: Janus

A new month. A new year. A fresh start. The turtle gang are together again for another month of money saving, thriftiness, making every penny do its job, recognising wants v needs, having fun and being grateful together. We swim against the tide of consumerism and find our own current. Preferably something like the EAC, dude. No turtle ever gets left behind and the gang is always open for new turtles.

A new year often means committing to New Year’s Resolutions. With Capital Letters as they are considered So Important to the start of a new year. Piffle, stuff and nonsense! We have no idea what 2022 will bring us, but we get to choose how to react and live. More than ever, we need personal control of what we can control: Health, Wealth and a Life well-lived. For January, you can run and hide; or be your very own all-singing, all-dancing cape-wearing action hero. Gotta love a cape…! And we all have the masks already… And several of us already have the lycra from cheerleading some months… Wearing your pants outside your trousers is optional….

Who was Janus? The god of gateways, doors, beginnings, endings, peace, war, transitions, duality. Images of him have him looking both backwards to what has been and forwards to what is to come. A perfect symbol for a new year.

Just be you. There is no need for you to fit in to the ‘norm’. Be your own normal. Just say ‘NO!’ to other peoples’ expectations. Be creative with what you have. Dress style. Food combinations. Make presents. Write poems/ a book/ letters. Paint. Sew. Keep in touch. Make music. Garden. Wield a hammer. What do you need to be yourself? What makes you happy? What do you want more of? And less of? Take a look at your own needs and look after yourself first. Eat well. Move enough. Get the sleep your body needs.

Always set budgets and give yourself some guilt-free treat money. Avoid as many chain stores and coffee shops and corner shops (unless that stops you going wild in a big store) and online purchases as possible. Alert yourself to what triggers impulse buys, especially with the sales coming at us full force.

Never stop loving yourself. You are unique and uniquely gifted. NSDs = 16 please. Identify your needs v your wants. With rising prices and the cost of simply being alive shooting up, take stock of where your money goes and write down every single spend.

Use it up or pass it on. Are you giving space to anything that you find ugly, unloved or unloveable, unwanted, unused? Remove it somehow! Unburden yourself. Of regrets. Of toxicity. Of unloved items. Of negativity. Replace with joy and fun. Identify your stress buttons and find ways to switch them off. People? Circumstances? Things that do/don’t happen? Choose not to be drained by external factors.

Set targets both small and large. And look at them weekly and tweak them as necessary. Swim with us in our turtle gang. (there are various names for a group of turtles: a bale of turtles, a dole of turtles, and a nest of turtles. But I just like to be part of a gang [and I do like a lot of chocolate on my biscuit too…]) Step outside and get some fresh air every day.

As always, the naughty chaise longue is ready for those who need a sit down. It currently has twinkly lights on it.

Let me know if I have missed out anything important!

Who is with me?

NST Jan best #2; NSD ; Ex 1 MFWDate: very soonish. I hope...

Replies