Energy off 3 days & counting after storm. What can I do?

Options

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    how can the guaranteed standards be kept for an unexpected storm?

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Read the link, it explains it all in there.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    saunaboy said:
    Hi,
    I think what's wrong with folks is that they think, why am I not getting sorted, there are a lot more than you still waiting.
    Oh, and might as well throw in the American, 'where's my compo' attitude.

Crikey. Let's see how reasonable you are 4 days with no idea when you'll have power.

I'll just shut up & move out then eh? Wouldn't want to make a fuss after all. 
    Hi,
    wow, just calm down.
    As I said before there are other folks in the same situation, maybe worse.
    Jings it's something that was unpredicted.

• saunaboy
    saunaboy Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Let me explain.

1. Something bad happens. Company entrusted to fix it communicates bad news & at least attempts to keep us posted. Things change but we can get info. 

IN THIS INSTANCE I SUCK IT UP AND PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

2. Something bad happens. Same companies website offline 2 days. When it is up it gives flaky info. Emergency line either not answered or is by an apologetic lady who says she has no update. Team comes out after 3 days & can't do job as info I relayed 3 days prior not recorded. Many in same boat including an old folks home up road.

HERE I WILL SEEK ADVICE ON A FORUM LIKE THIS. I HAVE SHARED WISDOM GAINED ON HERE WITH OTHERS IN SAME BOAT. 
  • saunaboy
    Options
    Hi,

It wasn't unexpected BTW... 
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    saunaboy said:
    Hi,

Hi,
    gosh, so there was supposed to be an emergency squad standing waiting for a line to come down?
    Just...... breathe gently for 20 seconds, in hold, expel, calmer now?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2021 at 5:23PM
    Options
    saunaboy said:
    Hi,

The storm was expected, the level of damage inflicted was far from expected.  The damage is being quoted as 3 times that of The Beast From The East of a few years ago and a level that has not been seen for decades.  I suspect the teams are concentrating on "big wins" where one repair can bring many back on supply and ensuring that other infrastructure such as water pumping stations are back up and running.

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 November 2021 at 5:28PM
    Options
    There WERE quite literally emergency squads standing by waiting for lines to come down, BUT a lot more lines came down than were expected, and yes, in a lot of places a lot more snow fell than was predicted too, causing further issues. The time taken to reconnect people in this scenario isn't particularly surprising, but from what is being said here I would agree that better comms go a long way towards making people feel less as though they are being treated as unimportant. 

Friends of ours up in the Peak District have been without power since the  storm, as far as I know they still are. For a good chunk of Saturday they were without any form of communication methods at home as the mobile signal was down completely as well. Temperatures in their house overnight have been dropping to 3 degrees - the warmest they have managed to get it indoors in one room with a fire lit is 9 degrees.  They've had *some* communication, but have also been told their power was back on when it most definitely wasn't, and at last count still had no idea when they would be reinstated. 

*edit* and literally as I hit post on that, I got a text saying that they are (finally!) back on. Around 84 hours with no power, in their case I believe.  Hope yours is also back soon Saunaboy.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • saunaboy
    Options
    Absolutely. But does that excuse them sending the wrong team out for my job (which is 40 homes BTW) because the reports of damage were ignored?

If they are prioritising big jobs (which I hope they are) does it excuse non comms in 4 days with those down the list? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback