PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 September 2021 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Kicking my month off which a chunky one at Lidl - £95.18.
    Annoyingly my £10 voucher earned in July had expired while we were away - that's the second month in a row I've not managed to take advantage of it  :#:#     I also realised that as I shopped on Tuesday (31st), the £95 doesn't count towards September's value  :#:#

Goal for this month - use all free vouchers from Lidl!!!

£95.18/£495 
    @Finstickle - those vouchers only last for a week after they’ve been earned. My DH had the mistaken idea that you had a week to activate them and then had a week to spend them. He learned, painfully, that that was untrue but wrote to L!dl and got the voucher reinstated.

I have two spends to declare from yesterday:  £13.77 in L!dl and £11.45 in MrT’s.  The L!dl spend included 4x200g packets of cashew nuts, to take advantage of their 99p offer.  (I use them in nut roasts and stir fries.).

£4 of the MrT’s spend was spent on a 10kg sack of chapatti flour.  We’ve nearly finished last year’s 16kg bargain sack of Addison’s bread flour - purchased for £3 from MrT’s - and that can’t come too soon, as far as I’m concerned.  I’m not impressed by the bread that it makes; it’s dense and tough, even when I add Lakeland’s flour “improver”.  (I use a bread machine, so the only real variable the flour.)

The above spend brings our total for the month to £25.22/£146.90, leaving £121.68 for the rest of the month.

- Pip

ETA - I’m another one who used to shop at the street market in The Cut.  In my case, it was < gulp > 30 years ago, when I worked at St Thomas’s.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • jozbo
    jozbo Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to get myself some more staples, the things I couldn’t get in l*dl (red lentils, gluten free bread). 
    Though I know I’ll get tempted by other bits if I hit h*me b*rgains.
    made a big quantity of delicious GF carrot cake yesterday and froze about 12 portions. Very glad we got the chest freezer a year or so ago. 
    Got a YS chicken (1 of 2) from l*dl for Sunday dinner today that has been frozen since Friday. Was one day before use by but the packet was all blown up. Going to give it a good sniff after defrosting (quick defrost) to make sure it’s ok.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Budgets updated to here

If I've missed anyone please do tag me!!

Welcome to the newbies! Tons of helpful and lovely people here :smiley:

I've not had any grocery spends since my last post which I'm really pleased about. Was very close to it a couple of times but talked myself out of it as I really didn't need more.

Thanks for the good thoughts :smile:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Goldfinches - if you take the price of the pump and WD 40 off your total it isn't too bad at all :) and you can't clean or eat them.... Just saying

I haven't been out all day, so I haven't spent anything, I should be ok for a few days and then it will probably be just milk and bread.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,572 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @goldfinches I agree with @nannygladys that the pump and WD40 shouldn't come from your grocery spend.  Do you not have a pot for your bike expenses/household items etc which is where they would come from for me; definitely not the grocery pot!  I have so many different pots for so many different categories the only way I can keep track is to use YNAB, although I'm sure a spreadsheet would work just as well and even cheaper.  Although in my defence I did buy my current YNAB back in 2014 when you purchased it outright so it doesn't really owe me anything as it got me completely back on track including paying off my mortgage and debts!  I even have savings now which I don't think would have happened without it.

If you did that it would reduce your daily spend by quite a bit I think.

• Finstickle
    Options
    A couple of spends to declare here.

Went to Sains on Fri to get some dinner and toddler snacks were on offer with at least 20% off, so i completely stocked up - £17.50.  Some mince, bread, pizza, pork pies and wine took the total to £35.74.

I also went to the corner shop whilst walking the dog and in a moment of weakness spent £18.22 - mostly on alcohol as I couldn't decide if I fancied a gin or a wine so bought both  :D

Happily the fridge and freezer are still looking full and we definitely have enough drink for a while.  (I go through phases of fancying a wine and then will go another couple of months not drinking at all)

Current total £149/495  
    May Grocery Challenge          £0/£400
    2024 Grocery Challenges      Jan - £390/£350  Feb - £431/£500  Mar £499/£500  Apr £729/£700

2021 £pd Average                    £16.41
    2021 Declutter                        369/365 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 🏅🏅🏅
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Grocery spending Sept  is now £29.43/£170
    Shopping – grocery £7.75 – all largely unnecessary but wanted something sweet so got pack of sweets ad a large bar of choc plus some reduced food

@goldfinches I also have a separate pot for household goods so wd40, bleach, bulbs etc, I just throw £10-20 a month in there and it works well as it does not impinge on my grocery budget

I should really have a crisp/sweet/chocolate budget .. I did win a free large pack of crisps at a local fete yesterday ;))
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,572 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I should really have a crisp/sweet/chocolate budget .. I did win a free large pack of crisps at a local fete yesterday 

That actually sounds like a good idea if it is something that you regularly spend money on.  Fortunately it's one area I spend very little on - don't eat crisps or sweets and buy just one bar of dark chocolate about once a month from L*dl for less than 50p so I feel that can easily come from the grocery budget!  I never eat more than a couple of small squares at a time as I find that's enough for a chocolate "fix".

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback