PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

September 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• flossyblog
    Options
    Hello everyone 2 adults Budget = €250 per month - Annual €3000. September inventory 
    Freezer
    4 bolognaise
    1 chilli con carne 
    1 petite pois
    1 haricots vert
    4 portions mirepoix
    6 portions madam jeanette 
    parmesan 

Store cupboard
    2 tins chickpeas
    1 jar garlic/1 jar ginger
    1 Thai fish sauce 200ml
    1 jar Thai green curry paste
    2 pkts Basmasti rice
    6 pkts Coffee capsules
    2 red wine
    acacia honey
    Hendricks gin & tonic gift Box unopened (2016) 

Herbs & spices 
    Salt & Peppercorns
    Cayenne pepper
    Turmeric powder
    Fennel seeds
    Cloves
    Cumin seed/Cumin powder
    Chilli powder/Chilli flakes
    Black cardamom/Green cardamom

Cleaning & Household supplies
    3 Ariel liquid 
    1 Dettol bath cleaner
    2 Dettol kitchen cleaners
    1 Glorix bleach
    1 Viakal 
    6 Scourers
    2 pkts Incense
    40 Bin liners (3 pkts asst)
    25 Toilet rolls
    Dishwasher tabs
    Dishwasher salts 
    3ltr cleaning vinegar
    Freezer bags

Toiletries  
    1 OralB Toothpaste
    3 Shower gels
    2 Shampoo
    1 Conditioner
    1 Body mousse lotion
    1 deodrant
    1 Nivea creme
    4 x 30ml bottles lavender/tea tree essential oil

Grocery challenge year budget €3K Jan €190 Feb €225 Mar €313 Apr €202 May €224 June €329 July €518 Aug €231Sep €389 Oct €314 Nov €358 Dec €335  Total spent €3628
    2021Frugal living challenge year budget €12.250 Total spent €15.678

Jan €438 Feb €1200 Mar €508  Apr €799 May €1122 June
    1595 July €835 Aug €480 Sep €957 Oct €993  Nov €909 Dec €2698

• nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Goldfinches- I'm not that close to m@s but I will certainly look in when I go to the city, and also get my dds to look out for me. I use marg for baking and butter for eating. 

No money spent today, I haven't been out anywhere. I will be shopping tomorrow though, so this afternoon I will be going through my menu plan, fridge, freezer and cupboards to make adjustments to it and then a list.Not much else going on.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 September 2021 at 12:12AM
    Options
    I've been to S*inby's this am and bought distilled white vinegar, cress, 3 packs of radishes, sweetheart cabbage, tofu and unwaxed lemons for the grand total of £4.95/£120 and am just about to set off to M*rks for various other fresh veg and dairy items.
    I'll edit this post when I get back.
    Finally managed to get around to adding to this post, where does the time go?
    Anyway, I bought f/f yoghurt, an aubergine, a cucumber, a red pepper and some y/s spring onions for £4.37. 
    That makes my new total for this month £9.32/£120.

Things you didn't know about having long hair

Always put it up before sitting down on the loo!
  • poppysmic
    Options
    Hello, another newbie here! Usually pretty good at grocery budgeting, but a chaotic couple of months have sent the budget into minor chaos. (Meal plan? Who is she?)

Could you put me down for £90, please?

My month usually starts from 22nd, so starting a bit late! That £90 should last the next 3 weeks for OH and I. No NSD as I've already dug into £9.79 of this to stock up the fridge, but that should keep me going for the next week. 
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    Evening all, NSD today. Made a lovely bacon pasta bake using lots of bits I had in already. Bacon has been languishing in the freezer for ages and needed using up. Used some jarred red peppers, half a punnet of mushrooms, and some home grown tomatoes in it. Also used up 3 part bags of pasta that were left from other meals. Extra bonus is I've got another smaller dish to either have for lunches or pop in the freezer. 
    Whilst the oven was on I rustled up some muffins using a couple of sponge cake mixes, 2 eggs and a bag of chocolate chips. I popped a drizzle of orange essence into half the mixture so we've got some plain choc chip and some orange choc chip should last a few days.

I've got a Mr T order coming in the morning, mostly fruit/veg, milk/diary and a few store cupboard bits. 
    Going to do my meal planning tomorrow morning and reorganise the store cupboards whilst I'm at it.  
    Grocery Challenge 2024
    Feb £419.82 Mar £599.53 Apr £405.69 May £531.37 Jun
    Declutter challenge 2024 0 items
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppysmic said:
    Hello, another newbie here! Usually pretty good at grocery budgeting, but a chaotic couple of months have sent the budget into minor chaos. (Meal plan? Who is she?)

Could you put me down for £90, please?

My month usually starts from 22nd, so starting a bit late! That £90 should last the next 3 weeks for OH and I. No NSD as I've already dug into £9.79 of this to stock up the fridge, but that should keep me going for the next week. 
    Welcome poppysmic - youre in the right place!

Looking forward to seeing how you go with your budget- Other than my 1 year old, there is only OH and i also however out budget is MUCH higher than yours- will be following you with interest as my inspiration 
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • Finstickle
    Options
    Kicking my month off which a chunky one at Lidl - £95.18.
    Annoyingly my £10 voucher earned in July had expired while we were away - that's the second month in a row I've not managed to take advantage of it  :#:#     I also realised that as I shopped on Tuesday (31st), the £95 doesn't count towards September's value  :#:#

Goal for this month - use all free vouchers from Lidl!!!

£95.18/£495 
    May Grocery Challenge         £249/£400
    2024 Grocery Challenges      Jan - £390/£350  Feb - £431/£500  Mar £499/£500  Apr £729/£700

2021 £pd Average                  £16.41
    2021 Declutter                        369/365 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 🏅🏅🏅
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,619 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    First spend of the month today.  Just a small shop of £21.40/£250 so have £228.60 left.  

• jozbo
    jozbo Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two NSDs to start the month but! Have had to reduce my planned budget of £400 to £300 due to unexpectedly not being paid this month (ending one job and starting another). So need to be much stricter than I’m used to. Heading to the shop tomorrow and I have a list. Have made a monthly meal plan that I’m just finishing off by adding in the existing supplies we have. Fortunately freezer and cupboards are reasonably well stocked but it’s going to be a tough one for us.
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Been grocery spending today. £21.45/£60
    Bought quite a lot and didn't forget anything this time, erm looked at my list lol!! 
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills