PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    Options
    £32.97 spent in W8rose this morning, a fair amount of that stocking up on teas (green, & green with lemon) for the girls and coffee for OH. Also £8 on frozen fish - the market fishmonger's on holiday - and £2 on burgers for DS3, who doesn't eat fish. Apart from that, just rice & noodles for the store cupboard, as we were getting low.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First shop of the month for me today. Spend of £54.69 at T3sco. Should probably do us about 10 days hopefully :)  I still have some chicken breasts left over from last month so will be stretching that out a little for curry etc.
    Hope everyone is having a good day :)
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • Balancinglife
    Options
    Hi 
    I spent £57 this weekend.
    £48 in ald1
    £5 in a pound shop - baking paper as none in ald1 and a few snacks.
    £4 on goodtogo - a shop close by was on the app so thought I’d test it out. 

£197/£350
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
     Grocery spending Sept  is now £34.13/£170
    Had a friend round after a lovely walk in the sun so had to grab some milk stuff for her and then I bought more sweets  and some crisps.. Clearly junk food is turning out to be my biggest expense so far!
    Oh well the first step is acknowledging the problem ..
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • poppysmic
    Options
    Haven't spent any more in the supermarket, but stupidly left my lunch at home today (hectic first day back in the classroom!) so spent £3 on lunch at work brings me now to £12.79. 

I'll definitely have to watch lunch spends, I think. I'm a teacher and the college canteen is pretty reasonable, so it's easy to be careless. OH has just begun his PGCE, too, so I think a bit more lunch planning is necessary! If anyone has any lunch ideas that are a bit more exciting than a few soggy sandwiches, I'm all ears  :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Just to add to @joedenise's post - I keep a treats and entertainment pot, which includes any snack foods (sucker for C&O crisps with lunch), alcohol, ice cream or chocolate, as well as a drink at the pub or meals out. All my things like washing up brushes are random. Bleach I buy in the SM do that is groceries, but (for example) the brush and paper cake tin liners I picked up while getting a couple of things for DS's house yesterday (saucepans, cutlery spatulas), went on the CC for DH to reimburse all but those from the other house fund.

In the 8 years he has been there they have lost all but two dessert spoons, and someone burned the bottom of the saucepan that their steamer layers attached to, and threw it out. He did find lots of bits that were awol, like the lid of a cast iron casserole in the back of a cutlery drawer... I suppose that is what you get with a couple of tenants.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • jozbo
    jozbo Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grocery spend to log … £2.29 at MrT’s on Sunday - big bottle of lemonade for the half bottle of pimms I found in the cupboard, and 2 bags of YS potatoes that have already been baked and put into the freezer for quick dinners.

so total spends so far -
    £106.6 L*dl
    £73.50 veg and fruit box (last month, have now made this less regular so will be £50ish next month)
    £2.29 Mr Ts
    Total £182.39/£300
    so £117.61 remaining
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey guys - how typical with the bicycle pump @goldfinches!! 

Still not spent since my last summary.  Used up the last of my fresh veg today for lunch - most of a cucumber which I ribboned using the box grater and about 7 radishes, which i sliced and then I had a bottle of W1cked Kitchen cucumber and dill salad dressing in the cupboard that I've not tried before so I dressed it with a little of that, and then I topped it with a bag of Nak3d Glory BBQ Tenderstrips that actually went off on 4 Sep but tasted fine and had been fridged and sealed so I went for it!  It was actually a very nice combo!

I literally only have about 1/4 of a broccoli fresh now but I'm going to keep trying to live off what I have for as long as I can manage as I have a decent amount of frozen veg and the prepped mixes that I bought the other day.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure