PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

June 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FoxFace said:
    Just clocking in for the last couple of days. Spent £9.60p on our Friday night chippy tea, and £2.80p yesterday as we were having a family game night and wanted some snacks. It actually came to more, but I strategically used my last Clubc'rd voucher to minimise the actual spend.
    The grocery stannding order came into the account, I am finding transferring the money and usuing a separate account is working wonderfully... current balance is £99.17p. That's £80.00p this week's budget, and £19.17p leftover from previous weeks.
    That reminds me of the old purse system people used to run on here when I first started doing this challenge - I think @elsiepac still includes a link to the second purse system in the first few posts each month - your second purse is your stores and discounts purse and you reimburse it as you use them at full price (as a way of saving) - all sorts of accounts and apps to do all that now but the idea of a separate budget has always worked for me. 

Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Hi all, just a quick check in midway through the month. We’re currently at £226.29/£450.00. That leaves us with £223.71 for the rest of the month. I just did a big click and collect for Waitrose this afternoon and that should last us about 7 days for some fresh items and much longer for other items bought in bulk like dishwasher tabs, 3x Finn Crisp packages, 4x boxes of oat bars,  2x boxes of cereal, dried beans, etc. We’ll top up the fruit, eggs and milk as we go along the next week. 

I’ve been mainlining strawberries like they’re going out of style so that’s been taking up a lot more of the budget. Normally I would cut up less berries in order to stretch them but I’ve been feeling profligate and greedy lately so have been eating them whole because they’re so delicious this season. Well, better than binge eating sugar and chocolate, I say. 🤷‍♀️ Mr. Jings has also been eating a lot more meat lately so that’s also pushing the budget up. He’s become more of an omnivore now instead of a vegetarian or a ‘sometimes-atrian’ as he called eating meat once in a blue moon. 😂 He’s been eschewing tofu too recently because of the digestive issues it gives him so finding another main protein besides beans, eggs and cheese can be a bit difficult. 

I’m trying to reduce my meat purchasing though due to us likely moving in mid-July. We’re in the process of purchasing a house and moving cross country and the last I want to move are frozen chicken legs and frozen peas! Time to tend to dinner and catch up with the rest of thread. Have a good evening everyone; I hope the weather is as gorgeous where you are as it is here!
  • Esthermate
    Esthermate Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £60/100. Guests.
  • Esthermate
    Esthermate Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also mainlining strawberries.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories