PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sallyp2
    Sallyp2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Food spends galore since last update:
    £land = £8
    Aldi = £40.49
    JS = £38.83
    Asda = £13.58
    JS = £42.25
    Veg Box = £16.47
    Fish Van Mkt = £22 - decided am not going here anymore. Fish was very expensive for what I brought. Hate to say it, but SM much much cheaper!!! I know he is an independent fish monger on market, but I got very little for £22. For that amount of money I would have done 5 meals from SM
    Total spends = £181.62
    June £305.70 / £350 
    • Grocery Challenge: April £263.60 / £250
  • Sallyp2
    Sallyp2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pamsdish said:
    Popped to town as few bits needed, total grocery bits between, W1lk0s, $&M, £1and, T0sc0, £15.45, also needed petrol my god it`s going up fast.
    LOL agree on petrol prices rising fast. At this rate we will need a monthly petrol challenge x
    • Grocery Challenge: April £263.60 / £250
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Hi all. I scored some major YS deals on fruit at M & S on Tuesday! I was so proud of myself that I told the attendant at the cafe I visited afterward! I happened to walk in around 1pm to find a lot of fruit on YS including my beloved strawberries. I got a big 700g tray for only £2.68 and a regular sized container for £1.34. So they were both 50% the usual price. They also had big boxes/punnets of nectarines for 67p by the door so I scooped up one of those.  £4.69 spent on a goodly amount of fruit. 

This afternoon I stopped by M & S again to get milk, 2 fresh soups, a YS Cumberland pie, and a 3 for £7 mix & match of a large cheese & onion quiche, ham, and half a roast chicken. Those will make easy lunches and dinners for the next couple of days especially with the frozen veg in the freezer. £13.69 spent on that trip.

When I got home and was putting away the groceries, I noticed we need Greek yoghurt again. OH is going through that like water. I'll also try to keep an eye on dates next time I'm in so I can plan my next YS fruit raid. 

£244.67/£450.00 spent this month
    £205.33 remaining

I have YS duck legs (only £2.80 for big legs) defrosted in the fridge that I need to season and cook likely tomorrow. I'm thinking of seasoning one with Chinese 5 spice powder but don't know what else to marinate it with. Maybe ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Any ideas? I think I'll shred it to use on potato rostis along with a yoghurt sauce and sautéed haricots verts from the freezer. Or a stir fry? Not sure how to season and marinate the other one. Again, any ideas? :) Have a good evening all!
  • GSDMum
    GSDMum Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

I have YS duck legs (only £2.80 for big legs) defrosted in the fridge that I need to season and cook likely tomorrow. I'm thinking of seasoning one with Chinese 5 spice powder but don't know what else to marinate it with. Maybe ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Any ideas? I think I'll shred it to use on potato rostis along with a yoghurt sauce and sautéed haricots verts from the freezer. Or a stir fry? Not sure how to season and marinate the other one. Again, any ideas? :) Have a good evening all!
    You're doing well Jings. 

I'm now of fan of Blue Dragon Sweet Chili sauce, normally I buy the less sugar one. A teaspoon goes a long way... I brush it on sausages, chicken, salmon and pork ribs before cooking, it really does lift the meat. I've also mixed it with mayo and made an 'interesting' coleslaw. Just sharing   ;)  It's great for adding to marinades, and stir fries. 
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all. I scored some major YS deals on fruit at M & S on Tuesday! I was so proud of myself that I told the attendant at the cafe I visited afterward! I happened to walk in around 1pm to find a lot of fruit on YS including my beloved strawberries. I got a big 700g tray for only £2.68 and a regular sized container for £1.34. So they were both 50% the usual price. They also had big boxes/punnets of nectarines for 67p by the door so I scooped up one of those.  £4.69 spent on a goodly amount of fruit. 

This afternoon I stopped by M & S again to get milk, 2 fresh soups, a YS Cumberland pie, and a 3 for £7 mix & match of a large cheese & onion quiche, ham, and half a roast chicken. Those will make easy lunches and dinners for the next couple of days especially with the frozen veg in the freezer. £13.69 spent on that trip.

When I got home and was putting away the groceries, I noticed we need Greek yoghurt again. OH is going through that like water. I'll also try to keep an eye on dates next time I'm in so I can plan my next YS fruit raid. 

£244.67/£450.00 spent this month
    £205.33 remaining

Great work! 

I love duck legs especially the Chinese way however potentially a fruit sauce for the one that’s left since you got nectarines? It’d be similar to orange sauce and you could still sprinkle in a bit of 5 spice too 
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback