Can My Daughter Leave Wales For Essential Training ?

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Hopefully she also self isolate on her return as well
    Why on earth should she other than some kind of moral duty? 
    Well in fairness the whole point of the welsh lockdown is to try & surpress the virus.

Personally I think there's far too many exemptions which makes the whole point of the lockdown pointless.

Well life has to continue, you know. You cant just lock everyone up.
    But it is interesting those countries that adopted a zero tolerance have dealt with their crises a lot better than those who have had a more laxed approach.

anyway we digress.
  • Yahoo_Mail
    Options
    Well in fairness the whole point of the welsh lockdown is to try & surpress the virus.

Personally I think there's far too many exemptions which makes the whole point of the lockdown pointless.

But it is interesting those countries that adopted a zero tolerance have dealt with their crises a lot better than those who have had a more laxed approach.

anyway we digress.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-53150808

Yep...
  • MoneySeeker1
    Options
    Self-isolating is only for those going to another country!!!!! So that is misinformation you came out with there.

She'll be within Britain - so no need whatsoever. 
  • MoneySeeker1
    Options

anyway we digress.
    One word - Sweden.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Self-isolating is only for those going to another country!!!!! So that is misinformation you came out with there.

She'll be within Britain - so no need whatsoever. 

anyway we digress.
    One word - Sweden.
    My point is it's been mooted that with thousands of students travelling across the country that that would Partly explain the increase in infections. So it would be at least courteous to the host population if she self isolated on her return. 

With regards to Sweden, it might be worth you listening to the BBC radio 4 programme The briefing room, broadcast on 29/9, which examines how well Sweden has actually managed in the pandemic.....and actually it's not as brilliant as people think.

Anyway the OP has her answer so any further discussions is merely a distraction.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

They locked 2.2 million of us up during the main lockdown, and not just for 14/28 days. 
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

They locked 2.2 million of us up during the main lockdown, and not just for 14/28 days. 
    By law? No they didnt.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 October 2020 at 7:59AM
    Options

Right now they've got about 3 million of us (ie those of us in Wales) back in severe level Lockdown. We're being told it's for 17 days - but, considering we were all told that the original Severe Lockdown was "for 3 weeks - to flatten the curve to save the NHS" and here we all are still in some level or other of Lockdown 30 weeks 2 days later and They are clearly planning to keep it up into next year and that when the photos/accounts from NHS staff are starting to come out of all those (deliberately) empty beds in hospitals throughout the country - then it is proving very difficult for "life to continue".

In this part of the country - with its Severe level Lockdown again - it's even worse than the first time:
    1. We're being singled out and can see that Southern England, for instance, isn't being treated as badly as we are.
    2. Mark Drakeford's forbidding supermarkets to sell their full range of goods to us - and it's not a lot of consolation that many of us are now "after him personally - and we WILL knock him out of power as soon as we can". Drakeford is trying to stop people travelling across between Wales and England (or vice-versa).

3. There was some sort of logical reasoning behind the "3 weeks" we were all told it would be to start with. There is no logical reason for the way They are carrying this on and on and on and on - and clearly don't give a monkeys about us and our increasing suffering due to Lockdown. I'm finding an increasing number of "yer ordinary person in the street" telling me "I don't understand this - there is something very ODD going on here - it doesn't add up".
  • Dr_Crypto
    Dr_Crypto Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mark Drakeford is clearly drunk on power and needs to be reigned in. He has a nasty authoritarian streak. Should be mates with not so pretty Patel. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    1. We're being singled out and can see that Southern England, for instance, isn't being treated as badly as we are.
    I do not think that Wales (or parts of the north etc.) are being singled out, the Welsh government is reacting to the data available. So whilst Wales has an average rate in the hundreds per 100k, with parts of the north having one 500-1,000 per 100k, Southern England averages below 100 cases per 100k and hospitalisation rates are considerably lower than in the north. It does not make sense to lock down Cornwall or Berkshire when the infection in those areas is largely under control.

The Welsh government has decided it wants a lockdown, if you look at Drakeford's political views he is unlikely to have any consideration for the economy, especially as his government does not actually have to raise the funds he spends so in that sense he has little financial accountability. 

The whole COVID response is irrational, it is not a response to "the science" largely because there is no one scientific answer, there are complex interactions going on (COVID infection, deaths from a disrupted health service, mental health issues, huge recession and destruction of employment and life prospects etc.) The issues are compounded because in the UK government as well as the Scottish and Welsh governments are largely populist reactionaries and the only unifying element of the government in Northern Ireland is that both sides hate each other. 

The English response by Johnson's government has been awful because he is an incompetent chancer, in a party of incompetent chancers, Drakeford is drunk on power and was not balanced in the first place and Sturgeon is using it to push for independence more than anything else, with the latter two in many ways isolated from the economic and financial consequences so far happier to damage the economy with additional restrictions and lockdowns. The politics of the UK is in a dire state, but when the choice at the last election was between Johnson and Corbyn UK wide, Drakeford and someone equally abysmal in Wales, Sturgeon and Corbyn's/Johnson's cronies in Scotland and two parties of hate in NI it is unsurprising we ended up with rubbish, the only question is why so many of our politicians are such undesirably and incompetent characters. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback