Can My Daughter Leave Wales For Essential Training ?

Options
Hi all
My daughter is a qualified lifeguard in works part-time in our local leisure centre in England when she is home from university. However, that university is in Cardiff where she is currently under lockdown !
She is due to attend  a training and assessment session at the weekend so renew her lifesaving qualification which expires in a few weeks, and without the renewal she would be unable to work until it has been completed. The leisure centre are not obviously not too keen to run another course in the future just for her as these do cost them a lot of money.
With Wales in full lockdown at the moment, the question is, would this be enough to be able to be treated as an 'essential work' trip so that we could bring her home for the weekend so that she could complete her training and assessment ? She has already had Covid 19 in the last few weeks and done the necessary isolation etc so should not be a risk.

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes. In any case the chances of her being stopped are beyond miniscule.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The attached page gives some overview of the tiers and rules for travelling between tiers (including between England and Wales) in lay terms.  It says "people living in Wales can travel to England for work purposes where this is necessary and they cannot work from home".
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving-1/2020-10/can-you-travel-between-lockdown-tiers/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter 26 October 2020&utm_content=Newsletter 26 October 2020+Version+A+CID_1441f07c8efefc04c35e976179c04176&utm_source=campaign monitor&utm_term=Read more
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's not travelling to Wales. If I understand correctly, she is leaving Wales for the training, then returning in a few days to Cardiff, where she is resident. 
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • smevs
    smevs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    macman said:
    She's not travelling to Wales. If I understand correctly, she is leaving Wales for the training, then returning in a few days to Cardiff, where she is resident. 
    Yes, that is correct. She would come home, do her assessment and training over the weekend, and then go back.
    So, "people living in Wales can travel to England for work purposes where this is necessary and they cannot work from home". - do we think that this covers travel for training and assessment purposes for qualification renewal ?

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Options
    She is travelling for work purposes and therefore allowed to. 
    If she doesn't travel to the course then she is out of work. 
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Hopefully she also self isolate on her return as well
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Why on earth should she other than some kind of moral duty? 
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Well in fairness the whole point of the welsh lockdown is to try & surpress the virus.

Personally I think there's far too many exemptions which makes the whole point of the lockdown pointless.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There has never been any requirement to self isolate when travelling between various parts of the UK.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Well in fairness the whole point of the welsh lockdown is to try & surpress the virus.

Personally I think there's far too many exemptions which makes the whole point of the lockdown pointless.

Well life has to continue, you know. You cant just lock everyone up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback