Mum commenting on my house

Options
My mum makes me feel so uncomfortable when she comes round. I can see her scrutinizing things and if I leave her alone, she starts 'tidying up'. She has told me many times that my house is messy or dirty and constantly offers to 'help' clean up. She once told me she would feel depressed if she had a kitchen like mine. Today she was commenting on the living room carpet. It is in bad condition I agree. It's old and stained and our puppy has chewed a piece! However until he is properly house trained I see no point in replacing it. So when my mum was leaving she said she worried about me. I asked why and she started crying and said she is upset by me 'living in these conditions '!  Part of me just can't take it in. I really don't believe my house is that bad. I find it insulting and rude that she keeps commenting. We all have different standards and if I'm happy then why is it her business? I know she has my best interests at heart but I feel she is overstepping boundaries. I've tried making jokes or brushing it off but it's upsetting me now. Should I talk to her about it? Should I limit her coming over and go to hers instead?  I'm just getting tired of the criticism. 

Comments

• Completely agree with these comments. If you can't give her a taste of her own medicine, don't let her in your house. Some people don't understand boundaries. 
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    In your position, I would say something to her, mother or not. In fact, if my mother had made comments or asked if she could help tidy up, she'd have been shown the door and asked to leave. But that wouldn't happen as my mother wouldn't make comments about my home any more than I would about hers. No-one has the right to come into your home and make you uncomfortable by making comments about it. Tell her.  Your mother may be offended for a while but she'll get over it. She either accepts that we all have different ways of doing things, including how we want our homes or she doesn't. If she doesn't, then maybe she should stay away from your home. As long as you are happy with your home, that's all that matters.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    comeandgo said:
      Are you comfortable living in a dirty house?  
    Not sure how you reached the assumption that the OP has a dirty house being as a carpet was the only thing the OP said was a problem, along with her reason for not replacing it. If I had a puppy I wouldn't be replacing it either until the dog was house trained. Just because the OP's mother has different standards of cleanliness, it does not mean that the OP's house is "dirty".
    Thank you olgadapolga! I don't consider my house to be dirty and having been furloughed, I've actually cleaned more than usual recently. I've been as honest with myself as possible and willing to admit it my house needs improving but I honestly don't think it does. It's no worse than my sister in laws or the houses of my child's friends.  My child's room is very tidy and she has told me in her opinion our house is not bad, it's that my mum's is over the top tidy. 

• The giving you things you said you don't want and not leaving you alone sounds like my mil. Treats us like children. She sounds quite toxic tbh. Can you limit contact?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback