We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Possible £100 Halifax switch offer starting 4/8/20

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ischris85 said:
    Looks good although I don't have a doner account right now. Is there anything to stop me from opening a new account with another bank and then immediately switching it to Halifax once the card comes through and then immediately switching away from Halifax once the money is deposited?

That's what I plan to do :)
    I don’t. Halifax will monitor take up of the offer and retention of customer accounts.
    Switch the Newly opened Halifax account to where exactly? No other incentives?
    Better to let the account sit and use as a donor account sometime in the future if not required. Banks don’t like people who out and out take the mickey. May have long memories also, but maybe not, we all have our own code of conduct and sense of what the right thing to do is.
    For £100 will stay awhile.
    I see what you’re saying but will you actually use the account or just downgrade it and leave it sat there ? 
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know when the Ultimate Reward account fee is actually taken ta.
    By the second working day of the month, so same day as the old Reward account payment was made.
    See special condition 1 in the getting started guide.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    keiran said:
    To those who already have more than one (possibly many) Reward accounts, how are you approaching this one, please?

I'm giving it a very wide berth. I'm not risking circa £200 over the next year to chase another £100. Obviously I may reconsider if I was to be encouraged to do so by PM!
    Mrs allowed hers to downgrade a couple of months ago, so that was a nice and easy £100 and facilitated her exit from Santander after last year's Amazon bonanza. I was very, very, tempted to hit Halifax with 3 almost simultaneous applications for her tonight, but decided not to in the end.
    T&Cs are for Max 1 reward per customer, so you’re probably glad you didn’t hit for 3!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    Herbalus said:
    keiran said:
    To those who already have more than one (possibly many) Reward accounts, how are you approaching this one, please?

I'm giving it a very wide berth. I'm not risking circa £200 over the next year to chase another £100. Obviously I may reconsider if I was to be encouraged to do so by PM!
    Mrs allowed hers to downgrade a couple of months ago, so that was a nice and easy £100 and facilitated her exit from Santander after last year's Amazon bonanza. I was very, very, tempted to hit Halifax with 3 almost simultaneous applications for her tonight, but decided not to in the end.
    T&Cs are for Max 1 reward per customer, so you’re probably glad you didn’t hit for 3!
    It's worked previously, although not tried recently at Halifax.
    Halifax said max 3 when I obtained my 4th, albeit back in 2009.
    TSB said max 2, but we had 17 between us and I was once busting my PSA with my TSB accounts alone. Others have had many more!
    But I'm not as adventurous as I once was. Probably an age thing!

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herbalus said:
    keiran said:

It's worked previously, although not tried recently at Halifax.
    Halifax said max 3 when I obtained my 4th, albeit back in 2009.
    TSB said max 2, but we had 17 between us and I was once busting my PSA with my TSB accounts alone. Others have had many more!
    But I'm not as adventurous as I once was. Probably an age thing!

Same. YorkshireMan now!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 August 2020 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Halifax have put the brakes on new multiples. Their software now enforces the T&Cs for new applications.

Oh, and TSB as well now.
  • tinsoldier
    Options
    ischris85 said:
    Looks good although I don't have a doner account right now. Is there anything to stop me from opening a new account with another bank and then immediately switching it to Halifax once the card comes through and then immediately switching away from Halifax once the money is deposited?

I don’t. Halifax will monitor take up of the offer and retention of customer accounts.
    Better to let the account sit and use as a donor account sometime in the future if not required. Banks don’t like people who out and out take the mickey. May have long memories also, but maybe not, we all have our own code of conduct and sense of what the right thing to do is.
    I don't have any moral issues with switching away - they're banks not charities. And I don't want to cycle 1500 quid through an otherwise dormant account every month. The question is, is it within the terms to cut and run once the money is deposited?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ischris85 said:

I don't have any moral issues with switching away - they're banks not charities. And I don't want to cycle 1500 quid through an otherwise dormant account every month. The question is, is it within the terms to cut and run once the money is deposited?
    It's easy enough to make a fiver a month from an otherwise dormant Halifax Reward. Though obviously not from an Ultimate Reward that you wouldn't choose to keep for other reasons.
  • Matt17
    Matt17 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Would making a £500 deposit to NS&I income bonds with the debit card qualify as the spending requirement for the rewards? 
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,871 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2020 at 12:02AM
    Options
    mummyof5 said:
    ischris85 said:

I see what you’re saying but will you actually use the account or just downgrade it and leave it sat there ? 
    I will definitely downgrade it! Not paying £17 per month for the package I will hardly use.
    Have just opened the UR account and typically uselessly their website let me fill in ALL the details for an account Switch before the final page with the message something has gone wrong with our systems please re submit or try again later. The former is impossible and the latter gets the same result from previous experience. Will have to phone them tomorrow to do it.

As colsten said the option to apply for another reward account isn’t there so the UR with its dubious bounty of insurances it is!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback