Possible £100 Halifax switch offer starting 4/8/20

Options

Comments

• ischris85
    ischris85 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 August 2020 at 8:03PM
    Options
    I tempted to open another Halifax Reward account, what I didn't know is that it appears you need to switch your account straight away and need your debit card to hand. So I quickly downgraded the account to a normal current account. I will wait for my newly opened Metro debit card to arrive and try again.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    Options
    Breadcake said:
    Where does it state you can have only one sole reward account?  

Edit, I have found it on the letter which Halifax sent out regarding the changes to the Reward accounts but I cannot find it in the terms and conditions for the Reward account.
    Page 26 of this document explains the number of accounts:
     https://www.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/bankaccounts/pdf/bank-account-guide.pdf
    Section 27 on page 44 tells you what happens if you have more than the accounts you are allowed 

27. What happens if you do not meet the conditions we set for an account type?
    27.1 We may change an account you hold with us to a different account, including one without a benefits package, if:
    a) you do not pay (or you go over your arranged overdraft limit to pay) your maintaining the account fee twice in a row;
    b) you stop being eligible for your existing account or any of the benefits on your account in any other way;
    c) you are no longer resident in the United Kingdom;
    d) you hold more than one packaged account; or
    e) you make a complaint and we agree that the account may not be suitable for you.
    Before changing your account to a different account, we will give you at least two months’ notice. We will only change your account to one that we believe is a reasonably suitable alternative.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ashen said:
    I saw this offer was mentioned in the MSE weekly email, along with this bit - of which I'm pretty sure the first part is nonsense.

- Who's eligible for the £100? You can't currently have a Halifax bank account and can't have had a switching bonus from it since April 2018

Agree, if that's what the weekly email says, they haven't got this quite right. It's always best to refer to the actual T&Cs because it's these T&Cs that govern an offer, not the interpretation of someone.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 865 Forumite
    Options
    I asked (in case anyone wanted to know) as I’m already a customer if they’d still do a hard search for a new account without an overdraft. They said they would.

I’ll go ahead with this tonight I think easy £100
  • t1redmonkey
    t1redmonkey Posts: 788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know how easy it is to downgrade an account with Halifax?  Want to get the switch incentive but don't want to bother with the monthly requirements.
  • colsten
    Options
    adamp87 said:
    I asked (in case anyone wanted to know) as I’m already a customer if they’d still do a hard search for a new account without an overdraft. They said they would.

They didn't for me this morning.

Not that I think it particularly matters to have the occasional hard search for a current account.
  • colsten
    Options
    Anyone know how easy it is to downgrade an account with Halifax?  Want to get the switch incentive but don't want to bother with the monthly requirements.
    I don't know the answer to your question. But switching to an existing current account, such as to your 'main' one, should be straight forward.
  • ischris85
    ischris85 Posts: 491 Forumite
    Options

I did it earlier so I know its quite easy.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 August 2020 at 9:43PM
    Options
    There are no monthly 'requirements'.

If you don't pay in £1500 each month they charge you £3.  That's all.  No requirement, just a small (relative to the £100 incentive) fee if you don't pay in that much.

So if they pay you £100 to open it and then you do nothing with the account it would be 33 months before you were out of pocket.  That's ample time to downgrade it - so I wouldn't worry.  

The 'Reward' bit is entirely optional.  If you spend 500 each month via your debit card they give you a choice of rewards, one of which is £5 each qualifying month.  Or if you keep £5000 all month they'll give the reward for that instead.  But there's no obligation to take the reward so there's no obligation to do the qualifying actions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback